Will we see another (former) First Lady run for President within the next 100
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will we see another (former) First Lady run for President within the next 100
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: years?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Will we see another (former) First Lady run for President within the next 100  (Read 8010 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2010, 05:43:19 PM by B-Rye »

By asking this question, I mean a First Lady OTHER than Hillary.

Yes
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »

Hillary might yet become president, so maybe.

I doubt Laura or Michelle will try, though.

As for future contenders, who knows?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I meant a First Lady other than Hillary.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »

I'd say so, 100 years is a long time.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:22:12 AM »

I think that it is almost an inevitability.  With gender equality getting closer to equilibrium every day it should come as no surprise to America if couples start tag-teaming the presidency.  I also think within the next 100 years we are probably going to see a former First Gentleman run and a husband/wife ticket would not surprise me in the slightest either.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »

Who would take the role of first man though? lol
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 06:59:31 PM »

Yes -and I can easily see Michelle Obama being the second former First Lady to run for the presidency, and perhaps even winning it. 

No joke. 
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »

Yep and for the first time in her adult life she'd be proud of her country. ^^
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »

Nope, for the fourth time.

First time was when Obama won Wisconsin, second time was when Obama won the nomination, third time was when Obama won the Presidency.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »

First time was when Obama won Wisconsin, second time was when Obama won the nomination, third time was when Obama won the Presidency.

Haha well she's the one who said it and I'm just quoting her. My country has never had anything to prove to me.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2010, 10:17:07 PM by Frodo »

That will all be ancient history to most Americans outside the GOP grassroots base by the time she decides to run (assuming Barack Obama wins a second term), probably in 2020 or 2024.

She has done a good job of reinventing herself and improving her image since her husband won the White House. 

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »

I think that it is almost an inevitability.  With gender equality getting closer to equilibrium every day it should come as no surprise to America if couples start tag-teaming the presidency.  I also think within the next 100 years we are probably going to see a former First Gentleman run and a husband/wife ticket would not surprise me in the slightest either.

A husband/wife ticket would have other issues besides gender. People may not trust having both Pres and VP in the same family. Also (unless they maintained dual residences), they would not be eligible for their home state's EV's.

As for the poll question, it is very likely that one will run, with about an even chance of one being nominated.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 03:38:22 AM »

Didn't Laura Bush recently come out and say that she supported same-sex marriage and was pro-choice? I think that automatically eliminates her from getting the GOP nomination.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »

Didn't Laura Bush recently come out and say that she supported same-sex marriage and was pro-choice? I think that automatically eliminates her from getting the GOP nomination.

She could run for the Dem nomination.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

She could run for the Dem nomination.

Why, though? She will lose. Dems would vote against anyone named Bush.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »

That will all be ancient history to most Americans outside the GOP grassroots base by the time she decides to run (assuming Barack Obama wins a second term), probably in 2020 or 2024.

She has done a good job of reinventing herself and improving her image since her husband won the White House. 

Forgotten until it's in every ad that year. You're forgetting how things like that scare people and rightfully so. Look at Kerry voting for the $87 billion before he voted against it. Obama saying we are not a Christian nation will hurt him next time when the GOP elects a social conservative unless it's Mitt Romney. Don't forget J-Wright and Ayers either.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »

Forgotten until it's in every ad that year. You're forgetting how things like that scare people and rightfully so. Look at Kerry voting for the $87 billion before he voted against it. Obama saying we are not a Christian nation will hurt him next time when the GOP elects a social conservative unless it's Mitt Romney. Don't forget J-Wright and Ayers either.

Stop Spamming!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 09:40:03 PM »

Stop Spamming!

I'm not spamming I make a very good point. In fact, in PA people actually prefer negative and attack ads.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »

Wright and Ayers only hurt Obama with the far-righters, who would have voted against him anyways.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:32 PM »

Wright and Ayers only hurt Obama with the far-righters, who would have voted against him anyways.

I know because democrats don't care about unrepentant terrorists or someone who says "God damn America."
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 02:53:26 AM »

Michelle would be a good President. Too bad she didn't go for Barack's seat in the Senate. She's gonna be in D.C. either way!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:07:09 AM »

It's also going to be hard for someone to run if their husband has already been in office. People want change. Hillary Clinton was smart enough about it to have a shot.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »

Yes -and I can easily see Michelle Obama being the second former First Lady to run for the presidency, and perhaps even winning it. 

No joke. 

I would personally want to see her picked apart by the media. She does not represent me what America is supposed to be. Most first ladies are qualified by just that, including Billary Clinton, who wouldn't have a prayer without having already been first lady.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 11:01:53 PM »

Hillary in 2012. Remember that meeting on a Saturday night between Hillary and Obama. I'm telling you it was either an agreement or Obama found a scandal that the Clintons couldn't overcome at that time.
cpeeks
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 05:37:38 AM »

Hillary in 2012. Remember that meeting on a Saturday night between Hillary and Obama. I'm telling you it was either an agreement or Obama found a scandal that the Clintons couldn't overcome at that time.

Ya I beleive Hillary will run again also.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies