Was Jesus really the son of God?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:42:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Was Jesus really the son of God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Was Jesus really the son of God?  (Read 3478 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:01:36 AM »

No.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »

No.

Is there any evidence Jesus even existed?  I mean, I believe he did, but really, is the only evidence a book that was written one hundred years after he died?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:09:26 AM »

No.

Is there any evidence Jesus even existed?  I mean, I believe he did, but really, is the only evidence a book that was written one hundred years after he died?

The existence of Jesus is attested to in several ancient sources, among them Flavius Josephus.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »

Let's see the birth certificate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »

I have just invented a term for people like you. Virgin birthers.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:00:30 AM »

Jesus was also a Muslim.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »

And he had an anti-Roman rabbi named Jeremiah Wrightberg.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:39:14 AM »

He was also a communist, despite living 1800+ years before Marx.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:07:22 AM »

Yes. In the same sense that we all are.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

No he wasn't. Jesus said to help the poor. He never said anything about giving your coat to the Romans so they can give it to your neighbor for you. In fact he was very much against the establishment of big government. Want proof? Read the Bible.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »

Actually I'm sure you don't know this, but the word for Virgin in Hebrew and Greek both actually refer to a young woman. In Matthew and Luke (the only 2 birth accounts) it is saying that Jesus was born of the young woman Mary. If you look at the prophecies in Isaiah it fortells the birth from a young woman, not a virgin as we know it in 21st century America. I don't agree that we should ask the almighty for some ID but I do not by any means go along with the "virgin" birth that Christians today are not informed about in church. Just some food for thought.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »

Oh and just in case you try to counter my smart remark about reading the bible, where else can you find sayings from Jesus other than gnostic sources which would also lead to your definition of "communist?" If you aren't going by the Bible to claim Jesus was a communist, then where are you getting your information? Where does it support Jesus was a communist? Nice try though. Giving your coat to your neighbor and helping the poor is not the same as giving those things to the government so they can hand them out for you in exchange for votes.

Jesus was also a Muslim.

And he had an anti-Roman rabbi named Jeremiah Wrightberg.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »

Yes, because even though He was born of Mary, a human girl, she did not have sex with Joseph to conceive Jesus.  Luke 1:26-38 explains this.  Pay particular attention to vv 34-35:  (34) Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? (35) And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. [/Scripture]

Again, Mary had not had sex with Joseph, yet, so Joseph could not have been the real father.  (there was no invetro fertilization at the time), so there could not have been anything implanted in her causing her to become pregnant.  So, Derek, this was indeed a "virgin" birth in both the fact of a young woman and one who had not had sex.  Now, Mary was a sinner herself, so she is not to be prayed to or worshipped in any form or fashion.  All she was was the mother of Jesus Christ.  Jesus lived the perfect life and took upon himself the sins of the whole world and died on the cross.  Now, Jesus is not dead.  He is ALIVE.  Christians serve a RISEN Savior.

Mary did eventually have sex with her husband, Joseph, and together they conceived James and Jude, who were Jesus' half-brothers (they shared the same mother, but not the same father).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »

Why should I believe that passage from Luke over biological principles?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »

Look up what virgin meant in ancient Greek and Hebrew. It meant young woman. No one ever said that Mary never had sex with Joseph. That's been turned around over the past 2,000 years by well intentioned but wrong people.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »

Because there is no other higher authority.  The Bible is God's Word to Man, not man's words about God.  All 66 books of the Bible are God-inspired and God-breathed, penned by 40 men, but authored by God Himself.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »

Because there is no other higher authority.  The Bible is God's Word to Man, not man's words about God.  All 66 books of the Bible are God-inspired and God-breathed, penned by 40 men, but authored by God Himself.

Am I also to believe that certain people in the Bible actually did live to be 300 years old?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »

no higher authority according to who?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »

Am I also to believe that certain people in the Bible actually did live to be 300 years old?

No no no. You're misunderstanding well somewhat. While the Jews were being held prisoners in Babylon they were exposed to the teachings of Zarathustra who spoke of virgin births to come. There were also ancient myths of he Babylonian kings and gods living for centuries. Search Gilgamesh and you will find that he ruled from 2700-2500 BCE. When the Jews returned they combined these genealogies and dates with their laws to form the P source of the Old Testament. It went along with the D source which was Deuteronomy-2Kings. There was also J which represented the southern point of view, Judah. You also had E which was the northern point of view, Samaria. If you're interested I've written a short book about it that I can retype on my computer and email to you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »

No he wasn't. Jesus said to help the poor. He never said anything about giving your coat to the Romans so they can give it to your neighbor for you. In fact he was very much against the establishment of big government. Want proof? Read the Bible.

There were two posts above me about Jesus being a Muslim & having a rabbi named Jeremiah Wrightberg, but you ignored them & responded to me? Huh
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »

There were two posts above me about Jesus being a Muslim & having a rabbi named Jeremiah Wrightberg, but you ignored them & responded to me? Huh

Yes. And ppl didn't have last names back then. Also, Jeremiah is from the Old Testament and his father, Hilkiah actually "found" and presented Deuteronomy through 2 Kings to King Josiah in 632 BCE. These books were written by Jeremiah's scribe, Baruch who has a book named after him which begins much like Deuteronomy. In fact you will find the truth about these books in Jeremiah 8:8!!!!!!!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »

Luke is more accurate than Matthew, but also has an agenda to reach out to the Gentiles and the poor. Instead of 3 Kings you have 3 shepards. It is very chronological and dull. Some believe it is part I of a sequal in combination with Acts. It just has a dry sound to it and paints a very rosy picture of what it would've been like for Jesus and his disciples. There is no way to know if Mary was a virgin as we know the term today or not, but the Greek word for virgin meant young woman and that's all. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm more agreeing than disagreeing with you.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »

because it's prettier
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »

They don't differ from each other much on literal meanings of certain words.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »

Look up what virgin meant in ancient Greek and Hebrew. It meant young woman. No one ever said that Mary never had sex with Joseph. That's been turned around over the past 2,000 years by well intentioned but wrong people.

Not quite.  The Hebrew word Isaiah used meant young woman.  The Greek word the New Testament used (parthenos) meant virgin.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies