"Radical Islam" and Terrorism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:14:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Radical Islam" and Terrorism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Radical Islam" and Terrorism  (Read 6620 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »

I'm probably going to regret this, but what do you think about this exchange between AG Eric Holder and Rep. Lamar Smith:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0510/Arguing_about_Islam.html

Smith is from an area between Northeast San Antonio and Southwest Austin.  Never heard of him before now.

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »

Hmm, how about "Radical Neoconservatism" and Terrorism?

Or "Radical Zionism" and Terrorism?

Those are much more important and pertinent discussions to be had. When is Congress going to take those issues up?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »

what? What does that have to do with Islam and terrorism?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »

The "radical Islam" phrase, fwiw, has been a very strong distinction between Obama and Bush's administrations.  Bush was very direct about it, and Obama's administration has been far more hesitant to rhetorically place so much emphasis on Islam.

I feel like this is a important exchange between the two viewpoints.  Many Republicans want the focus to be on "radical Islam" while Democrats (including myself) would rather the phrase rhetorically focus on "radical Islamic beliefs that are inconsistent with mainstream interpretation of the Koran."

And, the fact that we're even having this debate shows how stupid we all are.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »

The "radical Islam" phrase, fwiw, has been a very strong distinction between Obama and Bush's administrations.  Bush was very direct about it, and Obama's administration has been far more hesitant to rhetorically place so much emphasis on Islam.

I feel like this is a important exchange between the two viewpoints.  Many Republicans want the focus to be on "radical Islam" while Democrats (including myself) would rather the phrase rhetorically focus on "radical Islamic beliefs that are inconsistent with mainstream interpretation of the Koran."

But of course, the change from Bush to Obama was all about a change in rhetoric.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »

Obama is hesitant and indirect because he wants people to forget we're at war since he has no solution or plan to win.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:25:35 AM »

I don't see how blaming "radical Islam" is the same as blaming Islam.  We're cool with blaming Fundie Christians when Fundie Christians do stupid sh**t.  Only idiots think all Christians are about to go blow up an abortion clinic and only idiots think all Muslims are about to go blow up a Synagogue.  Radical Islam IS a problem in the world today, to say otherwise is akin to burying your head in the sand.  It's not the fault of Islam or all Muslims, just the retarded ones.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »

'Radical' is, you know, the wrong word to use. There aren't really words to properly point out quite how wrong, actually. It's also a major mistake to look at the phenomenon as something that is purely religious in motivation and practice; in this case there is no division between the political, the cultural and the religious. In Afghanistan there was (and is) also an extremely strong ethnic element.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »

Obama is hesitant and indirect because he wants people to forget we're at war since he has no solution or plan to win.

The best plan to "win" would be to bring all of our troops home and secure our borders and points of entry.  We aren't going to win the indefinite War on Terror by bombing supposed rogue states and drawing more people into Al Qaeda's ranks.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »

The best plan to "win" would be to bring all of our troops home and secure our borders and points of entry.  We aren't going to win the indefinite War on Terror by bombing supposed rogue states and drawing more people into Al Qaeda's ranks.

Which terrorists involved in plots haven't crossed our borders legally?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »

Yea the terrorists are going to find ways into our country or could coordinate through the internet. Look we can't secure our borders entirely unless you are suggesting we put up a shield and get the Jedi Knights to protect us.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 01:10:11 AM »

Yea the terrorists are going to find ways into our country or could coordinate through the internet. Look we can't secure our borders entirely unless you are suggesting we put up a shield and get the Jedi Knights to protect us.

The best we can do is stop giving them a reason to fly planes into our buildings.  Every bomb we drop, every country we invade, just brings more people into Al-Qaeda's ranks.  Osama bin Laden's whole plan was to get us to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, for that very reason.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:22:34 AM »

The best we can do is stop giving them a reason to fly planes into our buildings.

There is never a reason to fly a plane (full of people) into a large building (full of people).
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »

The best we can do is stop giving them a reason to fly planes into our buildings.

There is never a reason to fly a plane (full of people) into a large building (full of people).

9/11 didn't just happen for no reason at all.  Contrary to popular belief, they do not "hate us for our freedoms."  They hate us because we felt it was our right to meddle in the Middle East for our own benefit.  If Russia were to overthrow Britain's democratically elected government, and replace it with a puppet king, and then kill half a million French children through sanctions, I'm sure there would be a lot of Europeans who would be frustrated enough to fly a plane into a building in Moscow.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »

9/11 didn't just happen for no reason at all.  Contrary to popular belief, they do not "hate us for our freedoms."  They hate us because we felt it was our right to meddle in the Middle East for our own benefit.  If Russia were to overthrow Britain's democratically elected government, and replace it with a puppet king, and then kill half a million French children through sanctions, I'm sure there would be a lot of Europeans who would be frustrated enough to fly a plane into a building in Moscow.

Oh I agree with some of what you're saying. We did put our military bases on Muslim holy ground. However, they do hate our way of life, for example women having rights. Their religion also in the extreme form tells them to kill those who do not follow and there are even instructions in the Koran on how to do that. So I think you're half right in the sense that there are reasons for them not to like us, but they are not justified in killing our citizens. Tell that to the families of 9/11.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »

The best we can do is stop giving them a reason to fly planes into our buildings.  Every bomb we drop, every country we invade, just brings more people into Al-Qaeda's ranks.  Osama bin Laden's whole plan was to get us to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, for that very reason.
Yeah, we should cave on any and everything they ask for.  These irrational halfwits couldn't possibly find something else to be suicidal about.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »

Yeah, we should cave on any and everything they ask for.  These irrational halfwits couldn't possibly find something else to be suicidal about.

Yea stop sympathizing and defending Al-Qaida. If you're on their side do not waste your time talking to me. Instead save it for the families who were victims of 9/11. That's right.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »

Yay for war and big government! Let's nuke Iran next, or else the terrists will get us.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »

You're extreme too. ^^ Go for diplomacy first and war is the last option, but must be an option. Also when dealing with those who think they will only go to heaven if they kill the infidels, war is often the only option. It's a sad part of life. I don't like war, but it is necessary under unfortunate and extreme circumstances.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »

You're extreme too. ^^ Go for diplomacy first and war is the last option, but must be an option. Also when dealing with those who think they will only go to heaven if they kill the infidels, war is often the only option. It's a sad part of life. I don't like war, but it is necessary under unfortunate and extreme circumstances.

Unfortunately, none of the wars the U.S. has fought were justified.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »

lolnazisymapthizer
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »

lolnazisymapthizer

Opposing the war doesn't make you a Nazi sympathizer.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »

lolnazisymapthizer

Don't tell me if you opposed WWII. Tell the Jews. Go on now. Go ahead and do it. You won't say that to them. You won't do it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »

9/11 didn't just happen for no reason at all.

Well, if by that you mean it wasn't a random attack... yeah. That's true and obviously so. But there was nothing reasonable about it. It was not the action of sane men. You can look at the ideology (both writ large and strictly applied) of the people responsible and try to work out certain things from that, but you can't look for reasons, as such. Because the very word implies, well, reason.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You make the mistake of assuming that everyone is as sociopathic as you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

lolnazisymapthizer

Don't tell me if you opposed WWII. Tell the Jews. Go on now. Go ahead and do it. You won't say that to them. You won't do it.

So? Does the fact that you wouldn't tell a group of people about a position you hold because it would draw their ire make that position incorrect?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies