Want a refund from Charlie Crist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:48:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Want a refund from Charlie Crist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Want a refund from Charlie Crist?  (Read 1913 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »

Crist spokesperson Michelle Todd: "We have never made an official statement before. It is now the official statement. They donated to the Charlie Crist for U.S. Senate Campaign, and it's still the Charlie Crist for U.S. Senate Campaign."

"The governor's position is people donated to a good cause and we intend to spend their money on a good cause."
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »

Well considering 20 people sent one letter to Crist asking for money back and 13 of them didn't even contribute I wouldn't give the money back either.

Plus, why fund your enemy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »

Well considering 20 people sent one letter to Crist asking for money back and 13 of them didn't even contribute I wouldn't give the money back either.

One letter proves the whole policy right?  It's very atypical for party switchers to refuse giving establishment funds back.

I know you back Crist in this election, but not everything he does is right.

In this case, at least, it was a rational decision that any blowback from  him refusing to give the refunds was outweighed by the money lost by refunding all of the NRSC's donors.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »

The whole affair makes me uncomfortable, in fact so uncomfortable that I may send Rubio money.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »

One letter proves the whole policy right?  It's very atypical for party switchers to refuse giving establishment funds back.

In this case, at least, it was a rational decision that any blowback from  him refusing to give the refunds was outweighed by the money lost by refunding all of the NRSC's donors.

Wether it's right or wrong it's smart to keep it. One, he's gonna raise pennies in the future, and two, they just want to give their money to Rubio. It's a win-lose situation, but it's not like those who are asking for money are going to give vote for him anyways.

But, I would be pissed if I were on the other side asking for money... just sayin
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »

Wether it's right or wrong it's smart to keep it. One, he's gonna raise pennies in the future, and two, they just want to give their money to Rubio. It's a win-lose situation, but it's not like those who are asking for money are going to give vote for him anyways.

But, I would be pissed if I were on the other side asking for money... just sayin

I guess I was a bit annoyed by the smugness of their answer too.  Everyone knows no one who donated before but now is asking for a refund originally donated "for a good cause."

But I think it's doubly smart because one can see what happened to Specter, Toomey organized like a campaign to get donors to refund their donations.  I'd imagine that Rubio would organize such a campaign ten times the size.

He's not raising pennies.  He's raised $10k/day since he switched parties. 
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 06:01:27 PM by ajc0918 »

One letter proves the whole policy right?  It's very atypical for party switchers to refuse giving establishment funds back.

In this case, at least, it was a rational decision that any blowback from  him refusing to give the refunds was outweighed by the money lost by refunding all of the NRSC's donors.

I guess I was a bit annoyed by the smugness of their answer too.  Everyone knows no one who donated before but now is asking for a refund originally donated "for a good cause."

But I think it's doubly smart because one can see what happened to Specter, Toomey organized like a campaign to get donors to refund their donations.  I'd imagine that Rubio would organize such a campaign ten times the size.

He's not raising pennies.  He's raised $10k/day since he switched parties.  

I really don't buy the whole $10k thing. Although it could be true I find it fishy that the day to fundraising goal came out he already had raised 50k and he only reached 100k on the 10th. I would like to assume it's true... but...

Oh and what is really pissing me off, this doesn't have to do with donations is the RPOF is constantly attacking Crist over his connections with Jim Greer(former party chairman) and how he 'hand picked' him to become chairman. What I don't get is almost every single REC member voted for him and now they're deciding that it's bad. No. Does the RPOF have any dirt on Crist? Because the things their throwing out is crap.

Also, I love how somehow my email was given to the Rubio campaign and how I receive like 5 campaign email a day.

I'm done with my semi-rant lol
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 05:59:53 PM by Lunar »

Couldn't they come up with a better, more honest, way to spin it?

Like: "With all of the fundraising controlled by partisan organizations, we're going to have to fight tooth and nail to get the word out about Charlie's independence and commitment to Floridians.  If  Republicans donors were under the impression that Charlie would be their political pawn and are now just realizing that he's his own man, that's their own fault for their own misunderstanding and we're under no obligation to refund that, and we won't. "

Instead, they're pretending their campaign warchest is like a non-profit foundation. 
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »

Couldn't they come up with a better, more honest, way to spin it?

Like: "With all of the fundraising controlled by partisan organizations, we're going to have to fight tooth and nail to get the word out about Charlie's independence and commitment to Floridians.  If  Republicans donors were under the impression that Charlie would be their political pawn and are now just realizing that he's his own man, that's their own fault for their own misunderstanding and we're under no obligation to refund that, and we won't. "

What makes you think the Crist campaign is competent?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 06:08:52 PM by Lunar »

I really don't buy the whole $10k thing. Although it could be true I find it fishy that the day to fundraising goal came out he already had raised 50k and he only reached 100k on the 10th. I would like to assume it's true... but...

Also, I love how somehow my email was given to the Rubio campaign and how I receive like 5 campaign email a day.

Few points:

--Crist had a fair amount of donors who wanted him to go Independent.  They could have organized a bit of a fundraising drive.
--Crist's chances of winning shot up exponentially when he switched to Independent.  Donors like to give to winners for a variety of obvious reasons.
--Crist can still fundraise from his position of sitting governor.  You probably take a less harsh/cyncial perspective on why this is, and the outcome of the results, than I do.   Personally, I think Crist has sold out to developers etc. repeatedly for donations.

You can also unsubscribe any time.

Rubio's campaign is stupid to not send emails acquired from the RPOF list an introductory message of some kind before sending you blasts, if they didn't.  

Out of interest, does he really send you five emails a day?  I've worked for multiple firms that send out those sort of emails, and really you shouldn't be sending out more than 2-3 a week at most. 
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »

Few points:

--Crist had a fair amount of donors who wanted him to go Independent.  They could have organized a bit of a fundraising drive.
--Crist's chances of winning shot up exponentially when he switched to Independent.  Donors like to give to winners for a variety of obvious reasons.
--Crist can still fundraise from his position of sitting governor.  You probably take a less harsh/cyncial perspective on why this is, and the outcome of the results, than I do.   Personally, I think Crist has sold out to developers etc. repeatedly for donations.

You can also unsubscribe any time.

Rubio's campaign is stupid to not send emails acquired from the RPOF list an introductory message of some kind before sending you blasts, if they didn't.  

Out of interest, does he really send you five emails a day?  I've worked for multiple firms that send out those sort of emails, and really you shouldn't be sending out more than 2-3 a week at most. 

lol no, I get about 1 a day. And it's not from the official campaign either. It's like from the Tampa Bay campaign office.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »

Funny how it's an issue now considering I brought the same thing up about five times a week ago. If the donors gave the money in good faith that he was running as a Republican then of course he should give the money back. To bad Charlie has bought up all the time slots for TV from now until November using up much of that money.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:03 PM »

They donated explicitly to Crist's campaign, I don't understand the argument behind them deserving a refund.  They supported him running for Senate, he is still running for Senate.  If I asked for a refund on everything I changed my mind about, I'd have quite a bit more money.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »

They donated explicitly to Crist's campaign, I don't understand the argument behind them deserving a refund.  They supported him running for Senate, he is still running for Senate.  If I asked for a refund on everything I changed my mind about, I'd have quite a bit more money.

Yes, but they want that person running as the party they support.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »

Well, they should've donated to the NRSC in that case.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »

What is Lieberman had done that Xahar? (he may have I don't know)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »

I'd laugh at the chumps who donated to Lieberman.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »

Crist is just doing what just about anyone else would do, and a logical and reasonable thing.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:32 PM »

Ditto
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 11:13:31 PM »

Exactly.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »

I don't think Lieberman gave back any donations, nor do I think he should have and I supported Lamont.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 12:55:24 AM »

I don't think Lieberman gave back any donations, nor do I think he should have and I supported Lamont.

Well, Charlie promised he wouldn't drop out and run Indy, he said that dozens of times. Donations continued to pour in under the assumption he would stay Republican. While I don't think he has any legal obligation to return any money if a donor feels cheated and wants his/her money back he is within bounds to ask for the money back.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:58 AM »

Anyone who trusted that he wouldn't is too dumb to deserve their donation back.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:21 AM »

Lawsuit seeks GOP refund of Crist donations

Seems like my hunch was right.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »

I can sue you for whatever I want, does that mean I'm going to win?
No.

The point is, people donated to Charlie Crist and he has the choice to return the contributions or not. Plus, most of that money is probably already spent anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies