Moses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:43:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Moses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moses  (Read 773 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:47:02 AM »

According to 2 Ki. 22:8-13, the high priest of the temple, Hilkiah, found the text somewhere in the temple and he gave it to a scribe named Shaphan. The scribe in turn brought it to King Josiah and they read it together. To their amazement they found that they were in violation of the laws handed down by Moses and Josiah became so upset he rent his clothes, fearing that God would be angry at Judah.

Hilkiah was Jeremiah's father and Jeremiah's scribe was Baruch. Hilkiah who "found" this document would have known Baruch. This is why their books start out very similar. For more information see Jer. 8:8.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:57:12 AM »

Huh

Are you claiming that Baruch forged Deuteronomy?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »

forged? That's a strong word. He was the Deuteronomist. He wrote Deuternonomy- 2 Kings which is a history of Israel from the time of the Exodus until they were taken to Babylon. He would've been in the circle with Hilkiah and was always in touch with Jeremiah as was common for a prophet to have a scribe who wrote down his words. Any book written before the fall of the Roman empire is likely written pseudonymously. Writing a book named after yourself was just not a concept yet. The same goes for the category though of A,B,C, and D versions. That is why the Pentateuch seems to be cut up and woven together from our perspective but back then it's just how they wrote. It wasn't until the early common era that ppl would write one version at a time. Plus, imagine having 2, 3, and sometimes 4 versions of one story side by side. Israel needed to be untied, not divided.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:33:02 PM »

This isn't new.  Multiple scholars have said exactly this, and it's been the prevailing theory for at least 100 years.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »

This isn't new.  Multiple scholars have said exactly this, and it's been the prevailing theory for at least 100 years.

Well, the general story is.  Making Baruch the protagonist is a bit of an embroidering. 
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »

Oh no it's not a new theory. I learned this from Richard Elliot Friedman's "Who Wrote the Bible?" I do not think there has been a more solid theory that I have ever read in all my years of scholarship.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »

I'm not making him the protagonist, just the author.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies