Ancient Texts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:59:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Ancient Texts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ancient Texts  (Read 567 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »

Remember that ancient texts were often not written about until up to 1,000 years later. For example the J source in Genesis-2 Kings was written not until after 922 BCE when northern and southern Israel split into 2 kingdoms due to the oppressive policies of King Solomon.

1. missim or tax that was due by those from the north
2. appointing 2 southerners instead of a northerner and southerner to be the high priests
3. murder of I believe it was Zadok but don't hold me to it

I'm going to look into my books from college and seminary school to see some more details but it's very interesting. So, what are your thoughts on this matter of things being passed down orally for centuries before being written? Other examples include Homer's Odyssey being written around 800 BCE but taking place 1100 BCE. When looking at the NT gospels being written a generation after the crucifixion and resurrection you are talking about a news flash.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »

Remember that ancient texts were often not written about until up to 1,000 years later. For example the J source in Genesis-2 Kings was written not until after 922 BCE .

Once again, you’re taking a position that is directly contrary to the opinion of Jesus and the rest of the bible:

John 5:46  “If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me.”

Exodus 24:4 Moses then wrote down everything the LORD had said.

Exodus 34:27 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel."

Deut 27:8 “And you shall write very clearly all the words of this law on these stones you have set up."
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »

Deuteronomy was written to advocate the political policies of King Josiah. Read it and you will find it to be a political platform that oppressed those from nothern Israel. Hilkiah who found the document was Jeremiah's father. They probably should teach that in Sunday school because the book of Baruch who every scholar knows to be Jeremiah's scribe starts out the same way. The high places of worship were destroyed and Jews had to worship in Jerusalem and pay a fee to do so which benefited the Shiloh priests. Religion was politics in those times. Read the beginning of Deut and compare it to Jeremiah and Baruch. As for Moses, how did he go to the tabernacle before he built it? How is the author of the Torah standing across from Moses? How does Moses know write such a detailed description of the agrarian life of Israel in Leviticus? Look at how women are viewed in Exodus compared to Deuteronomy. There is a difference in that view because there is a difference of over 200 years. Why does Deuteronomy-2 Kings only take place during the reign of Josiah except for the last 4 chapters of 2 Kings?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies