Why did Obama pick Biden over Bayh?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:54:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Obama pick Biden over Bayh?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why did Obama pick Biden over Bayh?  (Read 13833 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I was curious. Both Biden and Bayh had foreign policy experience, but Bayh also had executive experience. Also, neither of them are very charismatic. Finally, both of them could have appealed to Hillary voters. Did Obama pick Biden because he had more foreign policy experience, or was it something else?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »

Biden is dumber and easier to control.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »

Biden makes more gaffes than Bayh, so how is he easier to control?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »

Biden makes more gaffes than Bayh, so how is he easier to control?

Because Biden doesn't think for himself. He says whatever pops into his head instinctively.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »

Easier to elect a D in Delaware than a D in Indiana.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »

Obama would have won Delaware with or without Biden, and he knew that.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 04:33:48 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2010, 04:35:46 PM by phknrocket1k »

No for the Senate.

Bayh's seat is more likely to go R, at least over the long run, if he was VP.
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »

No for the Senate.

so is delaware, thank god.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »

No for the Senate.

so is delaware, thank god.

What's your favorite part of living in Delaware, anyway?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »

Because if something happened to him, Obama thought Biden would be a better president than Bayh (which, in my opinion, is true)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »

Biden has more foreign experience than most other candidates
Biden is a likeable guy (and Bayh's as charismatic as a wet rag)
Biden's older (and counters Obama's youth)
Biden would be a better President
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:08:45 PM »

Biden had a lot of foreign policy experience and guaranteed Pennsylvania.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »

Biden was an attack dog.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »

I disagree with the notion that Biden lacks charisma. He is an excellent public speaker and a witty man. Don't forget he produced the most memorable line of the 2008 primaries ("a verb, a noun and 9/11).
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 10:11:20 PM »

There's several reasons, some of which have already been pointed out.

1.  Biden is strongest with the sorts of voters Obama lost to Hillary in the primaries.  Older, rust-belt ethnics, Catholics, etc.  This helps in PA, but also in OH, maybe NH, MI, etc.

2.  Although it seems like bad calculus in hindsight, there was no guarantee that Bayh would help Obama win Indiana, even though in the end, he won the Hoosier state without him.

3.  The invasion of Georgia made it seem as though the election would have a foreign-policy emphasis, making Biden, the Democratic office-holder with the most foreign policy experience, a wise choice.

4.  Right- I agree with the attack dog role.  Biden can rip into McCain in ways that would not seem credible coming from someone much younger and less experienced.  Biden can smile and say, " i love John, he's a good friend of mine, but his policies will be four more years of Bush".

5.  Although Biden is well known for gaffes, he actually is a really good speaker- certainly better than any other vice-president we've had in a generation.  He can communicate his deep knowledge of foreign policy without seeming preachy or condescending (something Kerry never learned how to do).

Having said that, though, both Bayh and Biden were strong candidates.  Bayh had his strengths-- younger, executive experience...but Obama probably made the right call.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 10:13:36 PM »

Bayh would have let the cat out of the bag that Obama was a useless right-winger too early.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »

Joe Biden was handpicked by the elders in the democrat party. That party does not believe that voters are sophisticated enough to make their own decisions and feared that Obama would look too inexperienced with someone who hadn't been there as long. Evan Bayh may have been there a while, but while Biden is CLUELESS on foreign policy; first calling it a disaster and now a success, he at least has alot to say and runs his mouth to the point of killing any media station's ratings. By having alot to say Biden made Obama look better. It was a staged decision picked to help Obama because he had no clue what to do about foreign policy and why would he? He was good at one thing and that is brainwashing a crowd of college students who are hungover til noon everyday. This at least gave Obama some credibility with those over the age of 24 and those with IQ's above 35. As I said, Biden has no idea either but has at least spoken enough about foreign policy to pass as knowledgeable. Yea go ahead and say something about Palin's experience. She was at least conservative and would have been tough on defense. That is all that is needed when it comes to defense because sometimes the only thing terrorists, French, and communists understand is a missile in their bedroom and yellow cake uranium in their fridge.... Don't forget the mustard gas either!
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 12:31:38 AM »

Another consideration was that Biden's replacement in the Senate would have been picked by Democratic Governor Ruth Ann Minner. If Bayh had been chosen, Republican Mitch Daniels would have picked a Republican to replace him, altering the balance of power.

Biden was a much better choice than Bayh.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 12:51:35 AM »

Yep it's all political. Bush chose Cheney. Honestly, someone convince me that it was politically motivated. How much do you think Cheney helped Bush in the 2000 or even 2004 election? Then again, Cheney was the head of Bush's VP committee and he picked himself. Bush could've said no though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 12:54:19 AM »

Yep it's all political. Bush chose Cheney. Honestly, someone convince me that it was politically motivated. How much do you think Cheney helped Bush in the 2000 or even 2004 election? Then again, Cheney was the head of Bush's VP committee and he picked himself. Bush could've said no though.

Are you trying to claim that there was no politics involved in a recent major party pick for Vice President? Don't make us laugh.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »

no I'm not. Why do ppl think I'm only serious when talking about policy and not candidates? I do think there have been honest choices though and Dick Cheney as a pick is an honest choice. So was Sarah Palin, Jack Kemp, and Dan Quayle. I'd like to know what things these candidates brought to their tickets other than Palin rallying the conservative base.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »

Cheney provided foreign policy experience and a measure of defense gravitas to the ticket, considering he was a former respected Secretary of Defense and was considered an old hand.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »

Cheney provided foreign policy experience and a measure of defense gravitas to the ticket, considering he was a former respected Secretary of Defense and was considered an old hand.

Exactly. Bush Jr. was attacked as inexperienced on the campaign trail (especially on foreign policy), so he needed someone to give him more credentials in that department. I still can't understand why Gore picked Lieberman, though. Unlike Cheney, he added nothing to the ticket.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »

Exactly. Bush Jr. was attacked as inexperienced on the campaign trail (especially on foreign policy), so he needed someone to give him more credentials in that department. I still can't understand why Gore picked Lieberman, though. Unlike Cheney, he added nothing to the ticket.

The theoretical idea was to increase turnout and votes from Jewish voters in order to win Florida.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »

The theoretical idea was to increase turnout and votes from Jewish voters in order to win Florida.

Gore was overwhelmingly winning Jewish voters become Lieberman came along anyway, and I don't think Jews are as influenced by identity politics as other groups are. Also, Jews are a very small voting block, so energizing them a little bit more would have little impact electorally. Other than Jews, I don't see any other group Lieberman managed to appeal to. Also, Gore might have lost some anti-Semtiic votes by picking Lieberman (which there aren't many of, but you never know). I think that in terms of strategy, Gore should have either picked a liberal or a competent woman as VP. For instances, Russ Feingold would have been able to appeal to both the Democtaic base and Jewish voters, while Dianne Feinstein would ahve appealed to females and Jewish voters. Lieberman's appeal was too limited. Frankly, if it wasn't for Bush Jr.'s DUI story coming out right before the election, Gore and Lieberman probably wouldn't have even come very close in Florida.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies