Excluding Census, jobs increase 224,000; jobless rate rises to 9.9% from 9.7%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:58:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Excluding Census, jobs increase 224,000; jobless rate rises to 9.9% from 9.7%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Excluding Census, jobs increase 224,000; jobless rate rises to 9.9% from 9.7%  (Read 1853 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »

By Jeffry Bartash, MarketWatch

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. added 290,000 jobs in April, the biggest increase since March 2006, with broad gains throughout the economy, key government data showed Friday.
Cheezburger CEO: Identifying Internet Culture

WSJ's Geoffrey Fowler talks with Ben Huh, CEO and founder of the Cheezburger Network, about the difference between pop culture and Internet culture.

Excluding temporary Census workers, nonfarm jobs rose a seasonally adjusted 224,000 last month, the Labor Department said. The unemployment rate ticked up to 9.9% from 9.7% owing to a huge increase in the labor force. Read the full report on the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Web site.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-adds-290000-jobs-in-april-jobless-rate-99-2010-05-07
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »

The Obama recovery is on!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »

Good news.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »

Why so facetious?  Obama's policies have been exactly the same as every president.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »

this is very good news and revisions of +200k were made to the last couple of months.

But Europe has itself and the rest of the world in a bind.  They mocked how the U.S. Fed Reserve handled the crisis back in late '08 and '09, and now they are facing a repeat of Lehman.  If they get their act together over the weekend and start on Monday to follow the U.S. Fed playbook, we can get through this fairly unscathed.  But they are running out of time and are risking a complete lock up of the credit markets which would quickly put us back into the bottom of the soup.

Obama's economic performance has also sucked since attacking the banks back in Jan 2010.  Up until that point I would have given him a grade of A.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »

Obama's economic performance has also sucked since attacking the banks back in Jan 2010.  Up until that point I would have given him a grade of A.

Kind of a minor detail, no? And in any case all style and no substance.  The politicians serve the banks, but they need to pretend not to sometimes.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »

Good news.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »

I'm happy to see the unemployment rate go up along with the highest employment gains in 4 years.  People are once again looking for work!
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »

I'm happy to see the unemployment rate go up along with the highest employment gains in 4 years.  People are once again looking for work!

same and it means that people are becoming more optimistic about the economy. Actually this is a fact.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:57:11 PM »

But is it too late for Democrats in Congress to take advantage of the improving jobs market?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »

Lol, the jobless rate increasing is "good news" in Obama fantasy land.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »

Next month`s report will show a gain of close to 500.000, because the main Census hiring takes place in May.

I guess the unemployment rate will also start to recede in the next few months.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »

Lol, the jobless rate increasing is "good news" in Obama fantasy land.

After months of hearing people bitch about how the unemployment rate is twisted and when it goes down it's still going up, people are now bitching that while we gained well over 200,000 jobs unemployment is secretly worse because the unemployment rate went up, which only means people are looking for work more now.

It's like the most disingenuous complaint ever. The unemployment rate going up doesn't mean more people are out of work the same way that the unemployment rate going down doesn't mean that more people are in work. You know this full well and yet you pretend you don't just for the sake of an almost spam-bot esque attack. Get real.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »

Next month`s report will show a gain of close to 500.000, because the main Census hiring takes place in May.

Ah, real stimulus.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »

The most amusing thing is that Libertas actually thinks he's clever.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:59:57 AM »

Stop the personal invective, please.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »

The real fun is that my Representative, Joe Wilson, didn't even bother checking the BLS press release before issuing one of his own.  In it he questioned whether the increase this month was due to Census hiring.

(link - The State)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 06:19:21 PM »

The real fun is that my Representative, Joe Wilson, didn't even bother checking the BLS press release before issuing one of his own.  In it he questioned whether the increase this month was due to Census hiring.

(link - The State)

I guess if he lived in the Old West he would have been one of those cowboys who shot their foot when they tried to quick-draw their guns.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »

I have a job this summer in a law firm that was previously not looking to hire s year ago. Times are changing!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »

I have a job this summer in a law firm that was previously not looking to hire s year ago. Times are changing!

You have a very positive attitude!  (probably somewhat realistic in your case, but I still marvel at those)
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »

You have a very positive attitude!  (probably somewhat realistic in your case, but I still marvel at those)

Me and most of my friends are going to be working this summer as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »

Really?  Doing what?  I once worked in the summer-time, as a student, at an amusement park.  I quit after one day of course - they made me clean garbage pails, and anyway it was an absurd pittance.

I've always found toils discouraging, not only because they're obviously unpleasant, but because they have never in my experience paid enough to live on (in the Bad Place).  Here I could almost live on my salary, but the only reason I got such a job is because I'm a token.

HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 04:53:02 PM »

Really?  Doing what?  I once worked in the summer-time, as a student, at an amusement park.  I quit after one day of course - they made me clean garbage pails, and anyway it was an absurd pittance.

I've always found toils discouraging, not only because they're obviously unpleasant, but because they have never in my experience paid enough to live on (in the Bad Place).  Here I could almost live on my salary, but the only reason I got such a job is because I'm a token.

I am going to working as a janitor and I should see a slight wage increase because I am returning to work again. My one friend will continue to work as a trash man, and another is still working at some pizza place. Meanwhile my Iranian friend will continue is work as an assistant manager at game stop.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »

I am going to working as a janitor and I should see a slight wage increase because I am returning to work again. My one friend will continue to work as a trash man, and another is still working at some pizza place. Meanwhile my Iranian friend will continue is work as an assistant manager at game stop.

Hopefully the internship scene heats up. Would like a paid one, while I study for the CFA.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »

See, I would have to say that all those positions do tend to support my point.  Toils are of debatable utility.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies