simple exercise
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  simple exercise
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: simple exercise  (Read 1280 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »

without doubt this is unproven, but my intuition points me towards: if anything exists, and it seems to, as I type, is it not unlikely that infinity exists, rather than the amount of 'things' that are real stopping at some point?

and so if we accept that, we look at ourselves and we are finite, definitely.  I am about 5'10.5" and 145lbs, no more.  so if I am a constant, and there exists infinity, I can be represented by the proportion c/inf, which is the limit approaching zero.

does it therefore follow definitively that I have no meaning or responsibility or am I not even here?  discuss.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »

not the case, ftr
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »

Not all worthwhile quantities are infinite.  Entropy is necessarily finite throughout the universe; thus, it's opposite, ectropy (a neologism, get over it) must also be finite.  Furthermore, human beings possess the highest concentrations of ectropy that we know; the order of not only us, individually and in groups, but of all of our surroundings, from other life forms to weather and geological processes, is astounding.  And that suggests not only existent "meaning," but quite a substantial amount at that.

good stuff.  do you spend a lot of time on this useless exercise?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »

We know that we are at least things that think. Descartes put it best with I think therefore I am. Infinity does exist as we may comprehend it but because we are things that are finite, we are incapable of ever understanding infinity with our finite terms.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »

We know that we are at least things that think. Descartes put it best with I think therefore I am. Infinity does exist as we may comprehend it but because we are things that are finite, we are incapable of ever understanding infinity with our finite terms.

Au contraire. Convergence is very much understandable. The limit point for convergence is typically infinity, and that gives meaning to finite beings.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »

Descartes also thought that the "soul" resided in the pineal gland.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »

Do you disagree or agree with my statement about knowing that we are at least things that think?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

does it therefore follow definitively that I have no meaning or responsibility or am I not even here?  discuss.

You perceive your existence, as do the people around you. You have tangible effects on them, and they have tangible effects on you. Obviously you're here. If you act as if you have no responsibility then there will likely be negative consequences for you. You have meaning to others, and you may have meaning to yourself as well. That you are made of of an insignificant number of atoms in comparison to the total atoms that compose the vast, cold universe that mostly cares little to nothing for you doesn't change those simple facts.

On the subject of dividing by infinity we can say that anything divided by infinity approaches zero in mathematics, but I don't think it really has much use in the philosophical realm. At the very least we exist in our own minds, and viewing ourselves as if we are nothing doesn't seem to have any benefit.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »

You perceive your existence, as do the people around you. You have tangible effects on them, and they have tangible effects on you. Obviously you're here. If you act as if you have no responsibility then there will likely be negative consequences for you. You have meaning to others, and you may have meaning to yourself as well. That you are made of of an insignificant number of atoms in comparison to the total atoms that compose the vast, cold universe that mostly cares little to nothing for you doesn't change those simple facts.

On the subject of dividing by infinity we can say that anything divided by infinity approaches zero in mathematics, but I don't think it really has much use in the philosophical realm. At the very least we exist in our own minds, and viewing ourselves as if we are nothing doesn't seem to have any benefit.

or so you think. How do you know someone didn't suck our brains out last night and program us to think our lives have always been?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »

You perceive your existence, as do the people around you. You have tangible effects on them, and they have tangible effects on you. Obviously you're here. If you act as if you have no responsibility then there will likely be negative consequences for you. You have meaning to others, and you may have meaning to yourself as well.

I like to refer to this concept as 1/1 = 1; as in, I'll always be me until I'm not and I won't ever be me and not be me.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »

that too ^^
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies