1968: Nixon vs. Humphrey with no Wallace (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:09:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Nixon vs. Humphrey with no Wallace (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Nixon vs. Humphrey with no Wallace  (Read 11623 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: May 05, 2010, 06:11:32 PM »

Nixon/Agnew-391 EV-53% PV
Humphrey/Muskie-147 EV-47% PV
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »

Why would a ticket with two Northern liberals (who supported civil rights and affirmative action) win Arkansas? Also, I think that Humphrey's MI margin was too large for Nixon to overcome, even without Wallace. Finally, I think Agnew would have delivered his home state of MD without Wallace running. What do you think the PV would have looked like?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

Dallasfan, what do you think the PV would have been?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »

Why would a ticket with two Northern liberals (who supported civil rights and affirmative action) win Arkansas? Also, I think that Humphrey's MI margin was too large for Nixon to overcome, even without Wallace. Finally, I think Agnew would have delivered his home state of MD without Wallace running. What do you think the PV would have looked like?

Arkansas was very strongly Democratic at the time. Almost it's entire congressional delegation was Democratic.

Similarly, Spiro Agnew only barely won his election in Maryland (against a bad Democratic candidate) and had only been in office for a year or two.

As for Michigan, you may be right.

In regards to Maryland, Nixon only lost it by 1%, and since Nixon was perceived to be closer ideologically to Wallace than Humphrey was, I could see enough Wallace supporters swinging over to him to give MD to Nixon. In regards to Arkansas, even if it was a heavily Democratic state in 1968, most of the Democrats elected there were conservatives who opposed affiramtive action and large govt. spending (and formerly opposed civil rights). Those Democrats would be much closer ideologically to Nixon than to Humphrey, and thus I think enough Democrats in Arkansas would have crossed over to vote for Nixon, allowing him to win Arkansas.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:28:57 AM »

Humphrey probably picks up most of the south, but doesn't carry any more northern states (he might even lose Pennsylvannia).

I don't think Southerners would be very eager to vote for a Northern liberal who supports affirmative action and greater govt. spending.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:24:14 AM »

How the hell does Humphrey win in the south?

He doesn't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies