Worst Candidates in Modern History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:19:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Worst Candidates in Modern History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Worst Candidates in Modern History  (Read 32038 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

George McGovern easily takes the cake. He was one of the biggest losers in history and a horrible candidate.

That's why Nixon needed to cheat?

He didn't need to and to suggest he did is simply disingenuous, he did it because he wanted to screw over the Dems as massivly as possible.

He could've still done that by attacking McGovern as a liberal pussy who will allow the U.S.S.R. to conquer American allies and who will raise your taxes and give your money to hobos and welfare bums. There was no need for Nixon to cheat to get a massive landslide.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »

George McGovern easily takes the cake. He was one of the biggest losers in history and a horrible candidate.

He didn't need to and to suggest he did is simply disingenuous, he did it because he wanted to screw over the Dems as massivly as possible.

He could've still done that by attacking McGovern as a liberal pussy who will allow the U.S.S.R. to conquer American allies and who will raise your taxes and give your money to hobos and welfare bums. There was no need for Nixon to cheat to get a massive landslide.

LOL.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »

Alright so who do you all think was the worst presidential candidate since 1952?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »

Alright so who do you all think was the worst presidential candidate since 1952?

Barack H. Obama
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »

John McCain will be remembered as a veteran who withstood torture from the enemy and who stood up for our country. Losing an election the GOP was pretty much guaranteed to lose isn't the mark of a bad candidate. It's great that he made it as close as he did. Actually, if you look at the elections that I'm dating back to which is 1952 he was somewhat close.

He will be remembered as an excellent American, but a horrible candidate.

McCain had a bad hand and played it badly. There was no need for him to call Scranton his home for the last month of the campaign while Obama gained ground in North Carolina, Indiana, and several other states that McCain had no business losing.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »

that's true too the last month was hell for McCain
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »

He only "cheated" as much as LBJ did in 1964 when he bugged Goldwaters campaign plane.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2010, 12:52:20 AM »

He only "cheated" as much as LBJ did in 1964 when he bugged Goldwaters campaign plane.

Nixon and LBJ were both scum of the earth, so no surprise that they share many similarities. Another example is that they're probably both burning in Hell right now.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »

Nixon did that for the good of our nation.

Creepy post.

Barack H. Obama

Winning in a borderline landslide = worst candidate in modern history? Huh
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:36 AM »

Nixon did that for the good of our nation.

Creepy post.

Barack H. Obama

Winning in a borderline landslide = worst candidate in modern history? Huh

The Democratic Party won in a borderline landslide because of the financial crisis associated with Bush and the GOP. Obama was a sh**tty candidate who would have otherwise lost despite the extremely favorable conditions for Democrats nationally.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »

Obama was not the worst in modern history. He had a great support base and charisma. However, he may have lost without the collapse of the housing market. Before that he was viewed as a liberal with no experience.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

Obama would have lost in many climates, but so would many other candidates. Winning the Presidency is as much about timing as anything else. Reagan won in 1980 because the country was so fed up with the failures of big government and the economic/inflationary/foreign policy crises. He wouldn't have won in 1968 or 1976 (opinion), because America was not ready for a staunch conservative. Obama wouldn't have won in almost any other year, but then again he wasn't running in any other year. He was a phenomenal candidate, because he is the most liberal president in our nations history and won by a large margin. America is a center-right nation, and the fact that he won cannot be overstated.

As far as McGovern, he was a terrible candidate ideologically, but he was much like Obama in his ability to get the youth vote and energize the left. After all, he was seen as the outsider candidate by most in the party going into 1972. He had to defeat three establishment candidates (Muskie, Humphrey, Scoop) to win the nomination, and he did. That takes a lot. However he was simply the wrong candidate in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »

Obama would have lost in many climates, but so would many other candidates. Winning the Presidency is as much about timing as anything else. Reagan won in 1980 because the country was so fed up with the failures of big government and the economic/inflationary/foreign policy crises. He wouldn't have won in 1968 or 1976 (opinion), because America was not ready for a staunch conservative. Obama wouldn't have won in almost any other year, but then again he wasn't running in any other year. He was a phenomenal candidate, because he is the most liberal president in our nations history and won by a large margin. America is a center-right nation, and the fact that he won cannot be overstated.

As far as McGovern, he was a terrible candidate ideologically, but he was much like Obama in his ability to get the youth vote and energize the left. After all, he was seen as the outsider candidate by most in the party going into 1972. He had to defeat three establishment candidates (Muskie, Humphrey, Scoop) to win the nomination, and he did. That takes a lot. However he was simply the wrong candidate in the wrong place at the wrong time.

McGovern actually was an outsider candidate, unlike Obama.

Obama losing to McCain in 2008 would have been like Reagan losing to Carter in 1980, and Obama was well on his way to doing so.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 02:26:13 PM »

Right candidate in the right place at the right time. You said it pal.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »

Right candidate in the right place at the right time. You said it pal.

That's American Style Democracy for ya. Thats why despite my interest in foreign politics, I always like our system the best. It's all about timing, and since folks aren't as indentured to a particular party, it works awfully better then the UK or Europe in general.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »

We do have the perfect government. As long as we have 3 branches and free elections. I'll agree with you on that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2010, 01:08:50 AM »

We do have the perfect government. As long as we have 3 branches and free elections. I'll agree with you on that.

The presidency is the worst branch IMHO. If I was a framer I probably would have opposed the idea or at least had it in a very weakened state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2010, 01:10:01 AM »

Obama was not the worst in modern history. He had a great support base and charisma. However, he may have lost without the collapse of the housing market. Before that he was viewed as a liberal with no experience.

I'm not an Obama fan, but he was hardly the worst candidate. Kerry was likely a worse candidate, but would have made a better President.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »

Honestly, I would rather have Obama than Kerry and ppl would be hard pressed to find someone to the right of me on this forum. More to the point though yes Kerry was a horrible candidate and was only close because of Iraq and Bush's falling numbers.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »

The presidency is the worst branch IMHO. If I was a framer I probably would have opposed the idea or at least had it in a very weakened state.

Oh I would have been all about states' rights back then. We do need a presidency, but that along with the entire federal government is way too big now.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »

I'm not an Obama fan, but he was hardly the worst candidate. Kerry was likely a worse candidate, but would have made a better President.

What makes you say Kerry would ahve been a better President? He would have been unable to pass any legislation with a GOP Congress, and also he would have been blamed for the financial crisis instead of Bush Jr.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »

And the dems would've never won congress at all. The GOP would still be in control and I am somewhat confident that Tom Delay and Mitch McConnell would have been running the show until he was voted out with 44% of the vote in 2008.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2010, 01:43:55 PM »

And the dems would've never won congress at all. The GOP would still be in control and I am somewhat confident that Tom Delay and Mitch McConnell would have been running the show until he was voted out with 44% of the vote in 2008.

Who would have been voted out? Kerry, Delay, or McConnell? Even tough I agree that the GOP would have been in a much better position right now if Kerry won in 2004.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »

Who would have been voted out? Kerry, Delay, or McConnell? Even tough I agree that the GOP would have been in a much better position right now if Kerry won in 2004.

As a Republican, I honestly prefer winning in 2004 and losing in 2008, than the opposite.

Strategically speaking, the GOP would be in a better position though, as a likely Kerry victory wouldn't have significant coattails.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2010, 02:46:32 PM »

As a Republican, I honestly prefer winning in 2004 and losing in 2008, than the opposite.

Strategically speaking, the GOP would be in a better position though, as a likely Kerry victory wouldn't have significant coattails.

Also, the GOP would have kept Congress in 2006 and recaptured the Presidency (as well as increaed their Congressional majorities) in 2008. As a Democat, I would have prefered my party to win in 2000 (to escape Bush Jr.), lose in 20004, and win in 2008.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies