Any possible suprises in Ohio or North Carolina tomorrow?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:14:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Any possible suprises in Ohio or North Carolina tomorrow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any possible suprises in Ohio or North Carolina tomorrow?  (Read 969 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »

Indiana has it's own thread, so what about the other two states in the May 4 primaries?  What do you expect from these two states?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »

Democratic Primaries: Fisher, narrowly, and Cunningham, in a scrape-by upset.

Republican Primaries: Nope. The party's already practically anointed their candidates.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21:25 PM »

Richard Burr is safe. Keep an eye on whether Ken Lewis can get enough Black votes to prevent Elaine Marshall from reaching 40% thus forcing a runoff between her and Cal Cunningham. Cunningham has the momentum and if there is a runoff he could beat her with the extra time.

As for Ohio, I would keep an eye on OH-15 and see if Stivers loses the primary to a more conservative candidate.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:07:40 PM »

Keep an eye on the NC-6 Republican primary, Coble may lose his primary to Billy Yow. Also, I think Marshall will end up winning by a lager margin then the polls are saying.

In Ohio, it will be a boring night.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »

Keep an eye on the NC-6 Republican primary, Coble may lose his primary to Billy Yow. Also, I think Marshall will end up winning by a lager margin then the polls are saying.

Coble is safe.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »

Coble is safe.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Billy Yow is a very popular Greensboro City Council Member, and has a very big and strong following in and around the Greensboro area.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »

Ohio's Auditor's race could be interesting. Delaware County Prosecutor Dave Yost was initially running for A-G and had notable tea party support. After former US Senator Mike DeWine (always hated by the tea party crazy types long before there was a tea party movement--hard to figure as he is very conservative by Ohio standards) jumped in the A-G race the party maneuvered Yost into running for Auditor as the anointed candidate. This teed off the tea party types who are now backing 1st term Dayton suburbs State Rep. Seth Morgan. Polling is all but nonexistent in the race, but conventional wisdom is Morgan could very well pull this off.

There's a GOP primary for Sec. of State too between State Sen Majority Leader Jon Husted and 2006 Treasurer nominee Sandra O'Brien. O'Brien pulled off a primary upset in 06 against the then Lt. Gov. running on a platform of being anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, and other issues equally relevant to the office of State Treasurer. She's trying the same tack this time, but Husted's institutional backing and sucking up to the tea party will probably see him through.

I don't see Stivers going down to the tea party joke candidate running against him. I'd be thrilled, but... The real upsets of party anointed candidates may come in the 16th and 18th CD GOP primaries.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »

DeWine is pro-gun control, which is an automatic loss in a GOP primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »

Ohio's Auditor's race could be interesting. Delaware County Prosecutor Dave Yost was initially running for A-G and had notable tea party support. After former US Senator Mike DeWine (always hated by the tea party crazy types long before there was a tea party movement--hard to figure as he is very conservative by Ohio standards) jumped in the A-G race the party maneuvered Yost into running for Auditor as the anointed candidate. This teed off the tea party types who are now backing 1st term Dayton suburbs State Rep. Seth Morgan. Polling is all but nonexistent in the race, but conventional wisdom is Morgan could very well pull this off.

There's a GOP primary for Sec. of State too between State Sen Majority Leader Jon Husted and 2006 Treasurer nominee Sandra O'Brien. O'Brien pulled off a primary upset in 06 against the then Lt. Gov. running on a platform of being anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, and other issues equally relevant to the office of State Treasurer. She's trying the same tack this time, but Husted's institutional backing and sucking up to the tea party will probably see him through.

I don't see Stivers going down to the tea party joke candidate running against him. I'd be thrilled, but... The real upsets of party anointed candidates may come in the 16th and 18th CD GOP primaries.

this, but I would add that a party-backed candidate upset will have far greater general election significence in the 18th than in the 16th
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »

DeWine is pro-gun control, which is an automatic loss in a GOP primary.

Dan Coats also supported some gun control measures, yet he will likely win today's GOP primary (in IN).
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »

Coble is safe.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Billy Yow is a very popular Greensboro City Council Member, and has a very big and strong following in and around the Greensboro area.

136 of 213 Precincts Reporting - 64%
Max Runoff Cands=2
 Name Party Votes Vote %
 Coble, Howard (i) GOP 20,672 64%
 Yow, Billy GOP 5,343 17%
 Taylor, James GOP 4,393 14%
 Hinson, Cathy GOP 866 3%
 Phillips, Jeff GOP 667 2%
 Mangin, Jon GOP 119 0%

You were saying?

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:59:02 PM »

Richard Burr is safe. Keep an eye on whether Ken Lewis can get enough Black votes to prevent Elaine Marshall from reaching 40% thus forcing a runoff between her and Cal Cunningham. Cunningham has the momentum and if there is a runoff he could beat her with the extra time.

As for Ohio, I would keep an eye on OH-15 and see if Stivers loses the primary to a more conservative candidate.

Stivers' numbers were actually one of the few impressive ones out there.  83% is pretty strong imo even with joke opponents.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »

Stivers' numbers were actually one of the few impressive ones out there.  83% is pretty strong imo even with joke opponents.

After some of the Illinois results, I wouldn't be surprised at anything these days. However I agree and its far better then I expected. I think Kilroy is finished in November especially now with this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies