Mayor of East St. Louis endorses Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:25:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Mayor of East St. Louis endorses Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mayor of East St. Louis endorses Bush  (Read 5385 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »

I doubt it'll make any difference, but it's interesting enough:

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=75136

East St. Louis Mayor Carl Officer Joins "Democrats for Bush"
Offers to Speak Nationally to Black Americans on BET on Behalf of the President

EAST ST. LOUIS, IL -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 10/29/2004 -- Four-term Mayor Carl Officer of East St. Louis announced before local supporters today that he has accepted the position as head of the Illinois Steering Committee of "Democrats for Bush," founded earlier this year by Democratic Senator Zell Miller of Georgia. A life long Democrat, Officer is a third generation African-American entrepreneur and mayor of America's poorest city.

The mayor was welcomed into the organization by a personal congratulatory phone call from Brian Lunde, National Executive Director of "Democrats for Bush." After the call, Mayor Officer noted, "Director Lunde told me that polls are showing that the President's support among black voters is DOUBLE what it was in his first election. He went on to kindly say that with me joining the President's team, he will now expect the support to TRIPLE."

Questioners clamored to know why he had decided to support President Bush's re-election. The mayor responded:

"I watched the debates intently, especially to try to measure the strength of each man and compare how each would face the awesome responsibility of America's safety -- a President's #1 priority. As a relatively new father, I indulged my three year old daughter and let her stay up with me as I watched. When it was over, and I looked into her eyes, I knew I had to go with the proven product, and I believe on the issue of protecting Americans first, nearly everyone agrees George Bush is the leader by far."

In further discussion with his somewhat stunned local political supporters, the mayor noted that he has long had some serious differences with the Democratic Party on gay marriage and abortion. Officer, an ordained minister, admitted that he and other African American Christians were much closer to President Bush's views on these issues.

Final questions were about Black Entertainment Television's recent announcement that the Bush campaign was "passing up an opportunity [in] communicating the President's plan of action to address issues that African Americans find important," as BET CEO Robert L. Johnson put it. Mayor Officer responded, "Based on today's announcement, I have transmitted a letter to Mr. Johnson at BET. I have offered to accept the half hour time slot to appear before their national African American audience and explain the reasons why a life-long Democrat, black mayor, small businessman, ordained minister and concerned dad is voting for President Bush in this election."
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 11:31:58 AM »

East St. Louis???

Wow.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 11:40:40 AM »

That mayor is a law and order type.  That said, East St. Louis is one of the few areas in the St. Louis Metro Area where the police haven't completely stamped out streetwalkers.

Interesting anecdote - the Mayor's political enemies burned down his campaign headquarters this summer.  Rough little town.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 12:16:04 PM »

I never said I wanted to live there.  Smiley 

I just found it interesting.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 12:22:23 PM »

It is interesting and may be part of the erosion of Kerry's African American support.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 02:56:03 PM »

As if Bush could do any worse in East St. Louis than he did in 2000.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I believe Gore carried East St. Louis by 96 points, 98-2.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 03:32:18 PM »

2000 Results in East St Louis: Gore 97.75%, Bush 1.82%, Nader 0.42%

From the Atlas
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 03:57:50 PM »

Sounds like my ward.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 04:46:38 PM »

I don't think there would be enough movement to affect the vote in IL or MO.  IL is safe Kerry, MO safe Bush.

However, could this affect the African American vote in Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Miami, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 04:51:44 PM »

However, could this affect the African American vote in Detroit, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Miami, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis?

No.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 01:48:34 AM »

I don't think there would be enough movement to affect the vote in IL or MO.  IL is safe Kerry, MO safe Bush.

I doubt it will have any more impact than the Don King endorsment
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 03:49:03 AM »

African American voters in St. Louis Missouri would have no regard for anything coming out of East St. Louis - it makes the North St. Louis MO ghetto look gentrified.  Sort of Fourth World compared to the Third World situation most blacks face in St. Louis proper.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies