The Epistle of James question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:06:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Epistle of James question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Epistle of James question  (Read 535 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »

My question is mainly for Jmfcst.  Non-Catholic Christians usually claim that faith, not good works, is the key to salvation.  How do you deal with this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

-James Chapter 2
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2010, 02:29:54 PM by jmfcst »

To me, there is no disagreement between James and the rest of the New Testament, just read the 11th chapter of Hebrews – all the heroes of the faith were defined by the actions which were the result of their faith: By faith Abel offered a better sacrifice…By faith Enoch was taken from this world…By faith Noah built an ark to save his family…By faith Abraham offered his only son…By faith Moses left Egypt, etc, etc, etc]

Throughout the New Testament, action is commanded.  Even repentance is a mental act that leads to change in action and thought.  Even Paul warns that our actions will be judged:

2Cor 5:10 “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.”

James is simply saying that your actions reflect your faith and if your faith hasn’t changed your actions, then you really can't claim to have faith
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »

My question is mainly for Jmfcst.  Non-Catholic Christians usually claim that faith, not good works, is the key to salvation

I'm also going to have to disagree with this, for it is neither faith nor works that is the key to salvation, IMO, rather the key is God's grace.  Faith is simply the conduit through which grace is imparted - "saved by grace, THROUGH faith".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies