WA-SurveyUSA: Rossi (R) defeats Sen. Murray (D) by 10
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:09:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  WA-SurveyUSA: Rossi (R) defeats Sen. Murray (D) by 10
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WA-SurveyUSA: Rossi (R) defeats Sen. Murray (D) by 10  (Read 2665 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »

All the other matchups are a statistical tie, as they fall within the margin of error of ±4.4 percent:

Murray vs. Benton

* Murray: 46 percent
    * Benton: 44 percent
    * Undecided: 10 percent

Murray vs. Didier

* Murray: 46 percent
    * Didier: 44 percent
    * Undecided: 10 percent

Murray vs. Widener

* Murray: 45 percent
    * Widener: 43 percent
    * Undecided: 12 percent

Murray vs. Akers

* Akers: 44 percent
    * Undecided: 11 percent

Murray vs. Coday

* Coday: 41 percent
    * Undecided: 14 percent

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/Poll-Murray-would-lose-to-Rossi-neither-side-buying-it-91939209.html
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »

I've said it before and I say it again - Murray has to be the weakest Democrat incumbent running for reelection. I mean, seriously, if a poll other than Rasmussen has her being crushed by a well-known candidate and within two points of defeat at the hands of a no-name, in a highly liberal state, then there is something definitively wrong.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:41:22 AM »

Hmm. This and the New Jersey poll are somewhat strange ...

But it still could be true. It´s by SUSA, one of the best pollsters in recent elections and there could be a great anti-incumbent mood right now in the US.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »

I hope Rossi decides to run.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:55:28 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2010, 02:05:13 AM by bgwah »

lolz, I'll believe it when I see it.

From the article:

However, both Rossi and the Murray camp agree that these numbers don't seem right to them. Rossi says the internal and public polling shows Murray has the advantage. A Murray spokesperson says their numbers show the race closer to a dead heat.

But yeah, SUSA is simultaneously showing Washingtonians approving an income tax by 40 points (and Republicans approving by 19...), and voting Rossi by 10? Including winning metro Seattle? Mmm, they've been releasing some very strange stuff for Washington.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:42:31 AM »

lolz, I'll believe it when I see it.

From the article:

However, both Rossi and the Murray camp agree that these numbers don't seem right to them. Rossi says the internal and public polling shows Murray has the advantage. A Murray spokesperson says their numbers show the race closer to a dead heat.

But yeah, SUSA is simultaneously showing Washingtonians approving an income tax by 40 points (and Republicans approving by 19...), and voting Rossi by 10? Including winning metro Seattle? Mmm, they've been releasing some very strange stuff for Washington.

SUSA's internals are always screwed up, but their toplines tend to be solid. This does seem to be a bit of an outlier, though, especially if both sides actually agree where their internal polling is. They occasionally have a ridiculously-off poll months away from the election (there was one in the summer of 08 that showed Goode beating Perriello by something like 30 points, and we saw how that one ended up). Hard to say if this is one, though.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »

Who entered this poll into the database and why did they include the matchup against Coday?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »

The poll may be crummy, but that said, this poll and others suggesting potentially close races  involving an incumbent Dem which should not be close, suggests that perhaps some sort of wave is indeed building if the GOP can round up quality candidates.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »

Hopefully this will inspire Rossi to run and then receive the third beating that he so deserves.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »

Who entered this poll into the database and why did they include the matchup against Coday?

Olawakandi, but I agree that he should change it to Murray vs. Akers, because Rossi is not in the race yet.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »

Olawakandi, but I agree that he should change it to Murray vs. Akers, because Rossi is not in the race yet.

I was actually thinking Benton is the frontrunner on the GOP side for now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »

I was actually thinking Benton is the frontrunner on the GOP side for now.

Do you have any primary poll ? Otherwise I´d say we should enter the Republican who`s closest to Murray and that would be Akers.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »

Benton is the clear frontrunner IMO.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

(Repost from Washington '10 thread)

Republican Senate candidate Chris Widener, who lives next door to Dino Rossi, mysteriously dropped out of the race today only two days after attending a primary debate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »

This has to stop. Olawakandi is being a liberal hack and is entering in the matchup that looks best for their party.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »

Am I crazy if I think that this poll is a one in 20? It simply doesn't feel right, Rossi is basically at the peak of his ceiling in this poll and I feel like Murray would not struggle so badly against so many unknowns (which you think would have higher undecideds).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »

Am I crazy if I think that this poll is a one in 20? It simply doesn't feel right, Rossi is basically at the peak of his ceiling in this poll and I feel like Murray would not struggle so badly against so many unknowns (which you think would have higher undecideds).

If Independents vote like they did in Massachusetts, New Jersey or Virginia (which they do according to this poll) then this poll might not be as wrong as you people think ...
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »

If Independents vote like they did in Massachusetts, New Jersey or Virginia (which they do according to this poll) then this poll might not be as wrong as you people think ...

No! I refuse to accept that my state would follow the same pattern as the nation as a whole and do anything contrary to what I believe should occur.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »

No! I refuse to accept that my state would follow the same pattern as the nation as a whole and do anything contrary to what I believe should occur.

FYI You're state isn't that liberal. The only reason why Republicans have such trouble winning statewide races is because the Democrats rack up huge margins in King County.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

FYI You're state isn't that liberal. The only reason why Republicans have such trouble winning statewide races is because the Democrats rack up huge margins in King County.

Isn't that sort of like saying that Illinois isn't that liberal, and  the only reason Republicans have trouble winning the state is that Cook County happens to be located in it?  I mean we have all these counties I guess that "distort" a state's "true" nature, like Multnomah County in Oregon, and Philadelphia County in PA, and Cuyahoga County in Ohio, and Essex County in NJ, and so on? 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »

Isn't that sort of like saying that Illinois isn't that liberal, and  the only reason Republicans have trouble winning the state is that Cook County happens to be located in it?  I mean we have all these counties I guess that "distort" a state's "true" nature, like Multnomah County in Oregon, and Philadelphia County in PA, and Cuyahoga County in Ohio, and Essex County in NJ, and so on? 

I don't know, I do agree to a point that Washington isn't very liberal. My point is that the state is simply extremely polarized, to the point that it has become nearly impossible for the republican candidate to win on the state-wide level (especially for major offices), while there may only be a natural 45-55 split it has become entrenched enough that republicans have had an extremely difficult time reaching across the spectrum. Adding to this difficulty for republicans in the state is the fact that the Seattle suburbs which used to moderate King county have been trending towards the democrats for the last decade or more.

Meanwhile the state Republican party because of its loss of influence on the West side has become more dominated by Eastern Washington Republicans which resemble in many ways the republicans of Idaho, destroying many of their chances to reclaim momentum because things have just turned into a feedback loop. Though national climate of course could temporarily reverse this trend, or the Republicans could if they became the moderate breed of the NE Republicans.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »

lol poll
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »

In more secular more cosmopolitan states, the GOP needs more David Cameron types, and it has next to none, due to issue and cultural divisions that split US politics these days. The GOP only gets in the hunt when the Dems over reach. The problem is that in these states, the GOP needs to win over secular voters with more "relaxed" social views who are moderate to right of center on economic issues, and absent a lot of angst, they don't.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »

In more secular more cosmopolitan states, the GOP needs more David Cameron types, and it has next to none, due to issue and cultural divisions that split US politics these days. The GOP only gets in the hunt when the Dems over reach. The problem is that in these states, the GOP needs to win over secular voters with more "relaxed" social views who are moderate to right of center on economic issues, and absent a lot of angst, they don't.

Exactly, in the less religious states the party needs to become social centrists with right of center economic values. That or simply not talk about social issues. In terms of over reaching I have the feeling that the dems may be doing so simply by being in power for so long (the last Republican governor was around 25 years ago). Though honestly Washington democrats have in many ways been clever in not reaching too far and self-moderating themselves in order to try the big-tent approach.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »

Exactly, in the less religious states the party needs to become social centrists with right of center economic values. That or simply not talk about social issues. In terms of over reaching I have the feeling that the dems may be doing so simply by being in power for so long (the last Republican governor was around 25 years ago). Though honestly Washington democrats have in many ways been clever in not reaching too far and self-moderating themselves in order to try the big-tent approach.

It seems to me they need to find a Scott Brown or Olympia Snowe to type, but it doesn't sound like there any, correct?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies