What states did Bill Clinton lose late in 1996 due to Dole's late surge?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:40:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What states did Bill Clinton lose late in 1996 due to Dole's late surge?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states did Bill Clinton lose late in 1996 due to Dole's late surge?  (Read 2876 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »

Reading Clinton's book, "My Life", he says his campaign got somewhat apathetic late and once Perot and Dole finally started attacking his character, Dole surged late in the campaign, which cost him the 50% + majority he wanted.  But, it probably also cost him some electoral votes too.  What states do you figure he lost late?

Clinton says NC and VA were two big targets but that the late surge probably put Dole over the top there.  Perot's vote kept it close in both.  Clinton barely lost NC in 1992.  He also says that GA probably slipped away late too.

However, Clinton says that he got the two pickups his team targeted from the beginning, FL and AZ, two states that hadn't gone for a democrat since '76 and '48, respectively.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »

What makes you sure that was Clinton said was accurate?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  My opinion of Clinton as a person has improved somewhat over the last decade, but he is still an ego maniac.  His reasons for not hitting 50 percent follow that mold, me thinks.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »

The campaign certainly was apathetic, Clinton's victory certainly never was in doubt, and the laughably low turnout - the result of both and probably of a bad turnout operation - quite certainly cost Clinton the 50% (seeing how close he came) and may well have cost him a couple of states.

I'm not sure I'd call that a "Dole surge" though.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  My opinion of Clinton as a person has improved somewhat over the last decade, but he is still an ego maniac.  His reasons for not hitting 50 percent follow that mold, me thinks.

Isn't it conventional knowledge that low turnout helped Dole?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »

No. It could have helped Clinton, since many Dole supporters knew he would lose anyway and thus didn't bother wasting their time voting.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »

Im almost certain it kept Democrats from winning back the House(which they should have easily) and likely cost Clinton Colorado, Georgia, and Montana. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:23:21 PM »

Im almost certain it kept Democrats from winning back the House(which they should have easily) and likely cost Clinton Colorado, Georgia, and Montana. 

Dems would have needed 12 more seats, I believe, to recapture the House. I'm not sure if a Clinton surge would have been able to flip that many seats to the Dems.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:33:29 AM »

Dems would have needed 12 more seats, I believe, to recapture the House. I'm not sure if a Clinton surge would have been able to flip that many seats to the Dems.

They needed another 10.  They picked up nine and needed 19.  There were 12 races(CT-06, IL-20, KY-03, PA-13, WA-02, WA-03, AZ-06, IN-08, AL-04, MO-09, PA-21, WI-01).  Had Clinton done a couple points better at the top of the ticket, Democrats would have likely won most of these seats and a majority. 
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

No. It could have helped Clinton, since many Dole supporters knew he would lose anyway and thus didn't bother wasting their time voting.

In order to get a high voter turn out for a party, the candidate needs to be likable and somone that ppl can rally around for the democrats, but Republicans are a little different of a story. The GOP when not having a great candidate as were the cases with Dole and McCain, are at least motivated to defeat the democrats. 2004 had the highest voter turnout for its time and Bush still won. Kerry just wasn't someone democrats rallied around. Dole's late surge brought him above 40% for what that's worth lol. Without Perot I still think Clinton wins by 6-7 points.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »

Without Ross Perot in either 1996 or 1992, Bill Clinton would of won NV or MO, CO, NH and OH and either FL or VA. Similar to the way the maps are going now.  I think a better question is had Perot not been on the ticket what would the maps be like.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »

Without Ross Perot in either 1996 or 1992, Bill Clinton would of won NV or MO, CO, NH and OH and either FL or VA. Similar to the way the maps are going now.  I think a better question is had Perot not been on the ticket what would the maps be like.

http://

I may be being a little generous to Bush Sr. but I think he gets reelected despite the PERCEPTION of the economy.
cpeeks
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »

OMG, Bush Sr. was not going to beat Clinton. Perot saved him from a humiliating defeat.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 06:03:30 AM »

I may be being a little generous to Bush Sr. but I think he gets reelected despite the PERCEPTION of the economy.

Ridiculous.
cpeeks
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »

It is ridiculous Bush didnt have a prayer, people wanted change.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »

Explain to me how Bush wins WI.
cpeeks
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »

I wanna know how he has him winning Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio, there economies were devestated.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »

I wanna know how he has him winning Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio, there economies were devestated.

Does it look like I have him winning Illinois? lol
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

He only lost there by 4.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »

And I also meant to post that on the 1992 forum ^^. my mistake
cpeeks
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »

My bad I  just glanced at it, instead of studying it.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2010, 02:44:53 PM by ShadowOfTheWave »

Without Ross Perot in either 1996 or 1992, Bill Clinton would of won NV or MO, CO, NH and OH and either FL or VA. Similar to the way the maps are going now.  I think a better question is had Perot not been on the ticket what would the maps be like.

He only lost there by 4.

Yes, but you have to look at more than the margin. The state was hit heavily by the recession, and all the surrounding states voted for Clinton. Am I forgetting something? Oh yeah, it was a Dukakis state! Without Perot Bush would have carried the state?
cpeeks
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 02:50:12 PM »

LOL W/E Dukakis carries one of the most inept candidates ever but Clinton doesnt? Get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »

My bad I  just glanced at it, instead of studying it.

It's cool
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »

Without Ross Perot in either 1996 or 1992, Bill Clinton would of won NV or MO, CO, NH and OH and either FL or VA. Similar to the way the maps are going now.  I think a better question is had Perot not been on the ticket what would the maps be like.

He only lost there by 4.

Yes, but you have to look at more than the margin. The state was hit heavily by the recession, and all the surrounding states voted for Clinton. Am I forgetting something? Oh yeah, it was a Dukakis state! Without Perot Bush would have carried the state?

Yes Wisconsin was more Democratic at the presidential level and has been trending towards the middle for 2 decades. I've noticed that before the 90's, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and West Virginia used to be further to the left than they are now. Dukakis also narrowed his campaign to 18 states as it was the only way for him to be competitive. I'm starting a new forum now cuz this gives me an idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies