Which Conspiracy Theory Do You Find Most Believable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:24:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which Conspiracy Theory Do You Find Most Believable?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which conspiracy do you find holds most water?
Lincoln Assassination

JFK Assassination

Roswell Crash

Fake Moon Landing

9/11

MLK Assassination

Oklahoma City

New World Order (includes Freemasons/Illuminati/Bilderberg, etc)

Other major conspiracy I've left out

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Which Conspiracy Theory Do You Find Most Believable?  (Read 3334 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 01:53:29 AM »

The airplanes that crashed into the World Trade Center were real. That doesn't conflict with the controlled demolition theory.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 01:58:05 AM »

The latter, of course. The question asked which you found the most believable. The things that bother me with the moon landing are really just that a) it was landed on in 1969, just as time was running out to fulfill Kennedy's pledge, b) no one has done it since the 70s and c) no one else did it besides the Americans. That isn't evidence or anything, but it is at least something.

What bothers me most with conspiracy theories is that there are weak grounds for believing a) that someone would want it, b) that it didn't happen the official way and c) that it could be kept secret. In the case of 9/11 I've never seen a clear explanation of why the US would have wanted to pretend that it was airplanes while using controlled demolition. It seems unnecessary.

On the other hand, there is a clear rationale behind faking the moon landing and the cause would be sufficiently good that you might get people to shut up about it. That sort of puts it within the realm of possibility for me in a different way.

So, it isn't that I don't believe it happened (I do!) but if I have to pick one, that would be it, because it passes my basic litmus test for conspiracy theories.

And the Lincoln ones seem to be very weak attempts at having a conspiracy just for the sake of having it.
But we put stuff on the moon...that YOU can see without too much trouble.  Retroreflectors are the cool ones, but there is lots of junk up there.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 02:59:59 AM »

The latter, of course. The question asked which you found the most believable. The things that bother me with the moon landing are really just that a) it was landed on in 1969, just as time was running out to fulfill Kennedy's pledge, b) no one has done it since the 70s and c) no one else did it besides the Americans. That isn't evidence or anything, but it is at least something.

What bothers me most with conspiracy theories is that there are weak grounds for believing a) that someone would want it, b) that it didn't happen the official way and c) that it could be kept secret. In the case of 9/11 I've never seen a clear explanation of why the US would have wanted to pretend that it was airplanes while using controlled demolition. It seems unnecessary.

On the other hand, there is a clear rationale behind faking the moon landing and the cause would be sufficiently good that you might get people to shut up about it. That sort of puts it within the realm of possibility for me in a different way.

So, it isn't that I don't believe it happened (I do!) but if I have to pick one, that would be it, because it passes my basic litmus test for conspiracy theories.

And the Lincoln ones seem to be very weak attempts at having a conspiracy just for the sake of having it.
But we put stuff on the moon...that YOU can see without too much trouble.  Retroreflectors are the cool ones, but there is lots of junk up there.

I'm not saying it didn't happen...I do think it did. I had to pick one that I found the most believable and that one was it. Granted, I haven't really followed it much. All I know is people like to complain about the flag waving and that that is a non-issue.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 04:20:14 AM »

There are gaping holes in the official account of MLK. There aren't any gaps in JFK. Or Lincoln, or the moon landing. Or 9/11, at least not genuinely noteworthy ones (at least as far as the execution of the crime itself goes). Don't know enough about wtf really went on at Roswell, but there's no reason not to vote for MLK here.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »

The airplanes that crashed into the World Trade Center were real. That doesn't conflict with the controlled demolition theory.

Yes...but why? Why fly the airplanes into the buildings at all if you're doing controlled demolition anyway? I don't see what the point would be in adding unnecessary risk of getting caught.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 05:44:03 AM »

Unless you believe it was all a ploy to get Americans to aquiesce to tighter airline security and longer check-ins!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:38 AM »

Yes...but why? Why fly the airplanes into the buildings at all if you're doing controlled demolition anyway? I don't see what the point would be in adding unnecessary risk of getting caught.

Because that's what the whole terror attack was about. The idea of commercial airliners that we've all been on being hijacked so easily with box-cutters and then crashed into iconic American steel skyscrapers had a psychological effect on people. It unnerved them.

Plus it also seemed plausible to the average American who wasn't going to delve deeply to ever question what the government said.

If the buildings just started collapsing out of nowhere, it would have looked pretty darn suspicious. Islamic extremists being able to set up a controlled demolition of the twin 110-story towers of the World Trade Center would have stretched believability too far even for the average unthinking American.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:39 AM »

Well Libertas has sure convinced me! What a clever fellow!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. There are more than enough resources available online for those who are interested in studying these issues.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »

To answer the question honestly, I don't believe for a second Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. There are more than enough resources available online for those who are interested in studying these issues.

I've seen some of those videos.  And they've all been as convincing as those shows in the '90s that studied whether Elvis Presley was still alive.  Perhaps you can link us to one you find particularly conceivable?

Did the 9/11 Commission have anything to say regarding possible government involvement?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »

Because that's what the whole terror attack was about. The idea of commercial airliners that we've all been on being hijacked so easily with box-cutters and then crashed into iconic American steel skyscrapers had a psychological effect on people. It unnerved them.

Plus it also seemed plausible to the average American who wasn't going to delve deeply to ever question what the government said.

1. Why was the psychological effect of that worth the risk of synchronizing two different events while hiding one of them? Do you also subscribe to the idea that it was physically impossible for the building to collapse (or collapse in the way they did) from the airplanes?

If the buildings just started collapsing out of nowhere, it would have looked pretty darn suspicious. Islamic extremists being able to set up a controlled demolition of the twin 110-story towers of the World Trade Center would have stretched believability too far even for the average unthinking American.

2. Yeah, it's not as if islamic extremists were ever able to do that. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_bombing)

Seriously, what if one hijacking had failed or just not been able to fly into the building at the exact right time?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »

..thus saving Rudy from having to go to prison...wait what?

I said Ruby might have planned the JFK assasination together with Oswald (and possibly some other people). After Oswald did the terrible deed, Ruby might have been afraid that Oswald was going to rat out everyone else, and thus Ruby killed Oswald.

Supersoulty used to say that Ruby was just "very patriotic" lol lol. Ruby had cancer, so he had no problem going to jail.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »

Well yeah, that part is true.  I assumed they were talking about some other conspiracy involving Lincoln...with maybe aliens and Mark Twain somehow involved.

Well, I think you have define "conspiracy theory" a bit better.

Same with Roswell.  I absolutely believe the Air Force was covering something up.  What they were covering up was Project Mogul, as the Air Force has claimed. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mogul
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »

I find it hard to believe that if you wanted to form a conspiracy to kill the President, you'd let someone like Oswald in.  The man was...not the most reliable person in the world, to say the least.  It's much more likely that he acted on his own.

As JJ already pointed out, there was an actual, verifiable conspiracy to kill Johnson and Seward in the Lincoln case, so, as that conspiracy actually happened, I'll go with that.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »

Well yeah, that part is true.  I assumed they were talking about some other conspiracy involving Lincoln...with maybe aliens and Mark Twain somehow involved.

Same with Roswell.  I absolutely believe the Air Force was covering something up.  What they were covering up was Project Mogul, as the Air Force has claimed. 

I don't consider either of these to be "conspiracy theory" because they aint theory.  The Air Force now admits fully what was going on, something they couldn't do at the time.  The other assassinations planned around Lincoln's are verifiable facts, not theory.

(I'm not saying you disagree with me, just clarifying my position)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 05:36:38 PM »

The JFK and Lincoln Assassination theories -in that order.

As for the others.....  Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 10:34:04 PM »

Paraphrasing something I read about a year ago: The same people who believe 9/11 is an inside job are the people who think Bush was too stupid to tie his own shoes and that the government is utterly incompetent, except in what would be the largest and most elaborate conspiracy in modern history.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 11:02:04 PM »

I don't consider either of these to be "conspiracy theory" because they aint theory.  The Air Force now admits fully what was going on, something they couldn't do at the time.  The other assassinations planned around Lincoln's are verifiable facts, not theory.

(I'm not saying you disagree with me, just clarifying my position)

That's why I think you have to explain what theory.

I heard of group of skeptics complaining that more people thought the Air Force covered something up at Roswell than thought a flying saucer crashed near Roswell.

Everybody should believe the Air Force covered something up at Roswell. because the Air Force has said it did.  Smiley
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »

Oklahoma City was a retaliation of Waco. McVeigh went too far though to retaliate. Clinton was in over his head and didn't have the political master mind like Reagan or Bush to deal with that kind of threat so he locked people up for warning about the attacks. Then after it happened, he lied and had people secretly killed to prevent testimony. No one did anything wrong and we didn't have these problems before he was in office.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »

Oklahoma City was a retaliation of Waco. McVeigh went too far though to retaliate. Clinton was in over his head and didn't have the political master mind like Reagan or Bush to deal with that kind of threat so he locked people up for warning about the attacks. Then after it happened, he lied and had people secretly killed to prevent testimony. No one did anything wrong and we didn't have these problems before he was in office.

Once again...

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 11:50:17 PM »

Don't feed the troll, man.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »

I'm going to go with MLK, followed by JFK.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:35 AM »

Other (Fluoridated water).

'Tis evil, EVIL, I say.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:02 AM »

The only one that I'd give even a slight possibility of being true is that Obama was a CIA agent in the early 1980's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies