Question for Pennsylvania posters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:58:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Question for Pennsylvania posters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Pennsylvania posters  (Read 1761 times)
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2004, 05:48:39 PM »

I stumbled on the latest Survey USA poll of Pennsylvania.  They divided the state into geographic sections - Philly area, western Pa. etc.  They referred to one area as " the T".

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what area of Pa. exactly are they referring to?  Bush was ahead there by a substantial margin so I presume it's rural and obviously doesn't include Democratic strongholds of Philly or Pittsburg.  Thanks.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 05:55:53 PM »

I stumbled on the latest Survey USA poll of Pennsylvania.  They divided the state into geographic sections - Philly area, western Pa. etc.  They referred to one area as " the T".

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what area of Pa. exactly are they referring to?  Bush was ahead there by a substantial margin so I presume it's rural and obviously doesn't include Democratic strongholds of Philly or Pittsburg.  Thanks.

Look at the map of PA from 2000 on this site. Notice the blue counties in the middle. They form the conservative 'T'-area. it looks like a 'Z' but don't point it out if you don't want Supersoulty to kill you... Wink
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 06:12:07 PM »

Ok, looking at the map that makes sense.  Once again, Gustaf to the rescue.  Thanks.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 06:26:23 PM »

Ok, looking at the map that makes sense.  Once again, Gustaf to the rescue.  Thanks.

'No fear, Gustaf is here', lol. 'Is it a bird? No. Is it an airplane? No. It's...SuperSwede!' Smiley

zachman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 07:27:41 PM »

Gore won Philadelphia by 300,000, and Bush won Lancaster by 50,000. This accounted for +250,000 for Gore, which was roughly Gore's margin of victory for the state. The key is turnout in these two counties.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 07:41:10 PM »

Yeah, those horse-drawn wagons don't always guarantee high turnout at the polling places.
zachman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 07:45:28 PM »

Lancaster is a pretty big city, but the rest of the county is Amish country. Can they vote, if they refuse to be schooled or allow roads to be built?

Is Pittsburgh part of Westmoreland county? I wish there was a way on this site to identify which county is which.

If you look at Ohio's county statistics they are similar to Pennsylvania except mainly the opposite. The counties of Ohio are smaller sized.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 07:54:10 PM »

zachman

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 08:05:37 PM »

Thank you.
zachman

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 08:49:46 PM »

Here are observations  on NH regarding 2000. 5 of the nine
 counties were won with less than 50% support. Look at the
data for my own Hillsborough county in comparison to the state
average,  they are nearly identical!

Does anyone have the town results in 2000, from Bedford? I'm
wondering that if our town was removed, would Gore be president
today? I'm thinking the answer is yes, and that makes me feel important.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 08:51:48 PM »

Look at the map of PA from 2000 on this site. Notice the blue counties in the middle. They form the conservative 'T'-area. it looks like a 'Z' but don't point it out if you don't want Supersoulty to kill you... Wink

I noticed the 'Z' but that isn't a geographic area.  The 'T' makes up all of central, north-eastern and north-western PA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies