The Secular Inquisition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:29:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Secular Inquisition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Secular Inquisition  (Read 2677 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »

The Secular Inquisition

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Excellent article on the hatefulness and intellectual bankruptcy of atheism in the modern world.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »

The problem isn't with the Pope's religious beliefs - that is NOT the reason they are calling for his arrest. The problem has to do with the use of his status as a religious leader to not arrest him. If the leader of pretty much any other organization had attempted to cover up sexual abuse of minors in his or her organization, you can damn well bet that he or she would be arrested. If the CEO of a major corporation covered up sexual abuse by his employees, he'd be arrested and the board of directors would remove him from his position. I'm pretty sure even the President of the United States would at least be impeached for covering up such an action. So why not the Pope? What makes him so special?

And hey, if you think that the evidence of the Pope's involvement in the cover-up scandal (and there is at least some) isn't enough for him to be arrested over, much less convicted, then you shouldn't have any reason to worry about it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »

Generally speaking it's a bad idea to take anything Brendan O'Neill writes seriously. Though I am surprised he didn't get around to mentioning how much the "new atheists" hate the working class (by being atheists o/c).
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »

Pure rhetoric, and not to be taken seriously.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »

Couldn't put it better than Dibble.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:43 AM »

I think you are all forgetting one legal detail.  The Pope is a head of state.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »

Oh my oh my, those evil atheists, trying to destroy God.
What new low will they drop to next?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »

Couldn't put it better than Dibble.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »

Part of the strategy that the parties attempting to get the Pope arrested is to question whether or not that is the case, and thus whether or not he has diplomatic immunity. They claim that he is not the head of a nation state recognized by the United Nations. I have significant doubts at to whether or not they'll succeed, but we'll see.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

Part of the strategy that the parties attempting to get the Pope arrested is to question whether or not that is the case, and thus whether or not he has diplomatic immunity. They claim that he is not the head of a nation state recognized by the United Nations. I have significant doubts at to whether or not they'll succeed, but we'll see.

The UK has recognized the Vatican City State since 1982.  UN recognition is not required.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »

The UK has recognized the Vatican City State since 1982.  UN recognition is not required.

Like I said, I have significant doubts about their success.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »

I think you are all forgetting one legal detail.  The Pope is a head of state.

The UK has recognized the Vatican City State since 1982.  UN recognition is not required.

Like I said, I have significant doubts about their success.

Rest easy, Dibble, success is assured.  If Cardinal X came here with diplomatic status, he'd be no different than any other official with diplomatic immunity.  Can't touch him (pun intended).

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »

The problem isn't with the Pope's religious beliefs - that is NOT the reason they are calling for his arrest. The problem has to do with the use of his status as a religious leader to not arrest him. If the leader of pretty much any other organization had attempted to cover up sexual abuse of minors in his or her organization, you can damn well bet that he or she would be arrested. If the CEO of a major corporation covered up sexual abuse by his employees, he'd be arrested and the board of directors would remove him from his position. I'm pretty sure even the President of the United States would at least be impeached for covering up such an action. So why not the Pope? What makes him so special?

And hey, if you think that the evidence of the Pope's involvement in the cover-up scandal (and there is at least some) isn't enough for him to be arrested over, much less convicted, then you shouldn't have any reason to worry about it.

There is no proof of the pope committing any crimes.

And of course this is motivated by religion. Atheists seethe with hatred at the pope and any other religious figures who defy their world view.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »

And of course this is motivated by religion. Atheists seethe with hatred at the pope and any other religious figures who defy their world view.

Yes, yes, the scary atheists are evil bigots and want to persecute you. They couldn't possibly have legitimate concerns, such a notion is just silly. Roll Eyes
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »

Yes, yes, the scary atheists are evil bigots and want to persecute you. They couldn't possibly have legitimate concerns, such a notion is just silly. Roll Eyes

Yes, there were no sexual crimes committed by Catholic clergy that the Catholic leadership covered up.  It was all a huge lie created by those god hating bigoted atheists who hate all religion because everyone knows that atheists are hateful people intolerant of religion.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »

Yes, there were no sexual crimes committed by Catholic clergy that the Catholic leadership covered up.  It was all a huge lie created by those god hating bigoted atheists who hate all religion because everyone knows that atheists are hateful people intolerant of religion.

No, it was just an incredibly small proportion of clergy committing sexual crimes, being committed at an even smaller rate than the general population commits them.

And you're one to talk about pedophilia...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »

No, it was just an incredibly small proportion of clergy committing sexual crimes, being committed at an even smaller rate than the general population commits them.

Which would be fine if the Church leadership didn't try to cover it up, worked with authorities to ensure that investigations were conducted lawfully and objectively, and defrocked any clergy found guilty of committing crimes. But that apparently is not what happened.

Are you seriously implying he's a pedophile? Is ad hominem really the best you can do?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »

Yes, there were no sexual crimes committed by Catholic clergy that the Catholic leadership covered up.  It was all a huge lie created by those god hating bigoted atheists who hate all religion because everyone knows that atheists are hateful people intolerant of religion.

Which would be fine if the Church leadership didn't try to cover it up, worked with authorities to ensure that investigations were conducted lawfully and objectively, and defrocked any clergy found guilty of committing crimes. But that apparently is not what happened.

Are you seriously implying he's a pedophile? Is ad hominem really the best you can do?

Actually, it is somewhat true.  I have an attraction to 15 year old girls.  However, I do not use a position of higher authority to take advantage of 15 year old girls, nor do I have sex with them.
This evil immoral intolerant atheist can resist the urge to have sex with people 15 or under, why can't clergymen?
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »

This evil immoral intolerant atheist can resist the urge to have sex with people 15 or under, why can't clergymen?

The benefits are too good to pass up.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »

I didn't know Dazzleman had a teenage son.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »

So because we want to arrest this despicable man, we're an inquisition? Please get some sense of scale.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »

Tell me, is this vile or morally bankrupt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ili0jgn_JD4
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies