A little contest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:32:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  A little contest
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A little contest  (Read 1607 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »

Alrighty then. Predict which of the following newspapers will turn on Clegg and his party with the most over-the-top venom in the week starting tomorrow. Your options are:

1. The Daily Mail
2. The Daily Express
3. The Daily Telegraph
4. The Times
5. The Sun
6. The Mirror
7. The Financial Times
8. The Independent
9. The Guardian
10. One of the Scottish papers
11. The Daily Star

Bonus points for predicting the line of attack correctly. Obviously some of those papers won't be nasty at all.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2010, 11:22:10 AM by afleitch »

1. The Daily Mail - Will; only because of the odd love/hate relationships with the Tories and Gordon Brown. Will go all xenophobic on Mrs Clegg and 'my god what is she wearing!' Will take a sly dig at Cameron along the way.

2. The Daily Express - Doesn't care about politics enough, but may talk about Clegg's stance on Europe.

3. The Daily Telegraph - Will, but not to do the Tories any favours.

4. The Times - Will but not sure how they will go about it

5. The Sun - Full frontal assault; Euro, migrant amnesty and all that.

6. The Mirror - Won't acknowlege that Clegg exists. Will still be more focused on raiding Cameron's bins.

7. The Financial Times - Will attack the Lib Dems due to the financial dears surrounding a hung parliament.

8. The Independent - Won't.

9. The Guardian - Won't. Will be very guarded in how it treats them as a significant number of contributers would quite frankly wish to carry his children.

10. One of the Scottish papers - For the Record see the Mirror.

11. The Daily Star - Tits.

---

I want to say the Sun will be the most brutal; but i'll go with the Mail.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »

6. The Mirror - Will still be more focused on raiding Cameron's bins.

And rightly so, seeing how the average British workingman could live for a year on the content of one of them!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »

For reference:

The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country, The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country, The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country, the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country, the Financial Times is read by people who own the country, The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is. Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »

1. The Daily Mail - Attack him for being 'soft on immigration, euro etc.'
2. The Daily Express - See above
3. The Daily Telegraph - Same as Times
4. The Times - Attack him, not sure how
5. The Sun - Attack him over Euro
6. The Mirror - Will try and mock him and accuse him of being Tory Lite
7. The Financial Times - Indifferent
8. The Independent - Indifferent
9. The Guardian - Will probably make some begrudgingly positive reference.
10. One of the Scottish papers
11. The Daily Star - Boobs.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »

For reference:

The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country, The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country, The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country, the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country, the Financial Times is read by people who own the country, The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is. Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Still mostly accurate, though I don't believe the Morning Star still exists, and the Soviet Union definitely doesn't.  A quarter of a century later, most of those lines still hold true.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »

For reference:

Still mostly accurate, though I don't believe the Morning Star still exists, and the Soviet Union definitely doesn't.  A quarter of a century later, most of those lines still hold true.

Wrong! The Morning Star most certainly still exists. Its often sold in train stations for some reason.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »

For reference:

LOL, great scene Grin
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »

For reference:

Wrong! The Morning Star most certainly still exists. Its often sold in train stations for some reason.

I guess today's equivalent would be one of those intellectual left-leaning papers that loves the EU (I'm thinking of Prospect here).
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »

For reference:

British Rail nostalgics Tongue

They have copies at my college too, oddly. I read it every morning.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »

Does Britain have any local papers at all? Do small towns have their own papers to report on the very boring goings-on like most here do? My mom spends about an hour a week looking up her hometown's paper online and reading it, even though there is nothing interesting there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »

Yes. They don't count from the nashunal meeja discourse pov, though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 03:04:30 AM »

Of course, I just find it odd all the major papers in Britain are all national ones. The US has only one (USA Today) and it isn't all that important really, the most well known papers like the Washington Post and New York Times and all that here are still technically just papers for one city. I mean I'm sure folks in Manchester and Leeds and especially Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast would've been interested in a non-London based paper actually focusing on local stuff pre-internets when newspapers were actually a very important resource.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:16:28 AM »

I mean I'm sure folks in Manchester and Leeds and especially Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast would've been interested in a non-London based paper actually focusing on local stuff
Yes. They focus on local stuff. They do it hard.
It's like local television in the US. Nobody outside their home region bothers to report on what they're saying, either.

(Not that I haven't noticed the same oddity, seeing as Germany is like the US in that regard. Britain's just a much more centralized country. Or England is... the only exceptions to the rule are the Scottish papers, after all.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 03:56:47 AM »

The FT has been skeptical about Vicne Cable for a while (at least in its blogs), but indeed today's paper proper has...

Investors fear effects of hung UK parliament - FT

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 07:02:15 AM »

For reference:

As someone who used to work in a station WHSmiths I'd attest to that. Even more curiously it was often bought by the same men who bought the train magazines...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »

I mean I'm sure folks in Manchester and Leeds and especially Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast would've been interested in a non-London based paper actually focusing on local stuff
Yes. They focus on local stuff. They do it hard.
It's like local television in the US. Nobody outside their home region bothers to report on what they're saying, either.

(Not that I haven't noticed the same oddity, seeing as Germany is like the US in that regard. Britain's just a much more centralized country. Or England is... the only exceptions to the rule are the Scottish papers, after all.)

I think that the Herald and the Scotsman both outsell the non-Scottish broadsheets but the 'Super Soaraway Scottish Sun' now outsells Pravda the Record.

Lots of localism still; The Press and Journal is the 'quality' paper of choice in the North East etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies