There's no such thing as Science, all there is, is Scientists and...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:37:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  There's no such thing as Science, all there is, is Scientists and...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Discuss
Agree

Disagree

Jmfsct 26:12: "And The LORD said 'not the gays, for buttsex is teh evils'"

The Fourth Option.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: There's no such thing as Science, all there is, is Scientists and...  (Read 801 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
« edited: April 17, 2010, 07:13:03 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

... to believe anything else is to believe in an illusory metaphysics.

Discuss.

(One can, if they wish, replace "science" with "religion" or other vast thought systems. There is no such thing Christianity after all, only Christians).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »

Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »

I'd argue the opposite; science exists (as a cohesive methodology) but what is a scientist?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »

I'd argue the opposite; science exists (as a cohesive methodology) but what is a scientist?

I would define a scientist as:

1) Someone who does 'science' which is a practice and not an existing thing (methodologies don't exist the way people or inaminate objects exist)
2) A particular social role

I don't buy the argument that Science is a cohesive methodology not when you look at what scientists actually do. Recently it has become more a mark of quality or identification ("hey! we must be correct because we're scientists") than anything intellectually serious and alot of people buy into this. See: Evolutionary Psychology and New Atheism.

I think to understand any practice we must look at what those practioners do and science especially.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

1) Someone who does 'science' which is a practice and not an existing thing (methodologies don't exist the way people or inaminate objects exist)

I agree that science is a practice, but it exists cohesively as a conceptual framework. It's effuse, though, considering the way science changes, and has changed according to the times. It's easy to delineate what is and what isn't science if we're taking into account the 'normative' practices. This is why I'd rather focus on the 'character' or role of the scientist, rather than the work they create, but the role is inseparable from the tool of science.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:15:04 AM »

I agree that science is a practice, but it exists cohesively as a conceptual framework. It's effuse, though, considering the way science changes, and has changed according to the times. It's easy to delineate what is and what isn't science if we're taking into account the 'normative' practices. This is why I'd rather focus on the 'character' or role of the scientist, rather than the work they create, but the role is inseparable from the tool of science.

Yes but for a conceptual framework to exist it needs 'actors' to act into existence. The Actors though then get that to define what is or isn't 'science'. This is how things actually work in practice which o/c does not correspond to the 'normative' ideal of science. The ideal is very useful though in backing up one's arguments (and destroying them for that matter if they go too far beyond that ideal).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies