CO: Rasmussen: McInnis still leads Hickenlooper
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:34:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  CO: Rasmussen: McInnis still leads Hickenlooper
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CO: Rasmussen: McInnis still leads Hickenlooper  (Read 636 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

New Poll: Colorado Governor by Rasmussen on 2010-4-14

Summary: D: 42%, R: 48%, I: 4%, U: 6%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »

Rasmussen has been acting as a terrible outlier the past couple of days, the only "reputable" pollster showing polls moving towads the Republicans.  Calling bullsh**t here.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »

Rasmussen has been acting as a terrible outlier the past couple of days, the only "reputable" pollster showing polls moving towads the Republicans.  Calling bullsh**t here.

That's funny--Rasmussen is the only pollster who has had any consistency in this race.  The only poll (besides, ironically, Rasmussen's February poll) showing Hickenlooper winning was the liberal PPP poll showing him up by a ridiculous 11 points.  McInnis led by six points last months and Rasmussen has him with the exact same lead.  To me that suggests that, far from being an outlier, Rasmussen has pegged this race pretty well.  You should know that Rasmussen uses a different model that naturally favors Republicans, because he samples likely voters.  In Colorado, for example, registered voters are roughly in thirds (R/D/U), but in active voter registration Republicans have a 40,000 vote advantage over Democrats (unaffiliateds are now a plurality of active voters).  And if you test voter enthusiasm, every model suggests that Republicans will turn out better than Democrats.  Which basically means that, yes, Rasmussen is probably right.

What you're seeing is a realignment of politics to 2004 numbers.  If you look at Obama's net approvals it looks almost identical to the '00 and '04 elections maps: Florida, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Ohio are mixed, the Gore/Kerry states have Obama up, and the Bush states have high negatives.  Colorado is simply demonstrating that the idea that the state has undergone an idealogical sea change were unrealistic. 

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/04/14/how_bad_could_2010_really_get_for_democrats_105152.html

All of that said, however, we're still a long way out from November.  And until this year Democrats have dominated state politics for a couple of elections.  I've always assumed that the GOP would eventually regroup and take back most of the seats that they lost.  My hunch is that that is exactly what we're seeing this year, aided by a toxic national climate for Demos.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »

That's funny--Rasmussen is the only pollster who has had any consistency in this race.  The only poll (besides, ironically, Rasmussen's February poll) showing Hickenlooper winning was the liberal PPP poll showing him up by a ridiculous 11 points.  McInnis led by six points last months and Rasmussen has him with the exact same lead.  To me that suggests that, far from being an outlier, Rasmussen has pegged this race pretty well.  You should know that Rasmussen uses a different model that naturally favors Republicans, because he samples likely voters.  In Colorado, for example, registered voters are roughly in thirds (R/D/U), but in active voter registration Republicans have a 40,000 vote advantage over Democrats (unaffiliateds are now a plurality of active voters).  And if you test voter enthusiasm, every model suggests that Republicans will turn out better than Democrats.  Which basically means that, yes, Rasmussen is probably right.

What you're seeing is a realignment of politics to 2004 numbers.  If you look at Obama's net approvals it looks almost identical to the '00 and '04 elections maps: Florida, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Ohio are mixed, the Gore/Kerry states have Obama up, and the Bush states have high negatives.  Colorado is simply demonstrating that the idea that the state has undergone an idealogical sea change were unrealistic. 

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/04/14/how_bad_could_2010_really_get_for_democrats_105152.html

All of that said, however, we're still a long way out from November.  And until this year Democrats have dominated state politics for a couple of elections.  I've always assumed that the GOP would eventually regroup and take back most of the seats that they lost.  My hunch is that that is exactly what we're seeing this year, aided by a toxic national climate for Demos.

Well said, and welcome to forum. It's always nice to see more Coloradans here Smiley
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »

I don't think you can call the PPP a liberal pollster the way its been coming out with polls showing Whittman ahead of Brown and showing Dems behind in the competetive battleground states.  Granted that it had the dems winning in 2008 due to the liberal tilt of that election that was the only election that it had a liberal bias. The last Kos poll had it a tied poll and that's where I think it will wind up at, within the margin of error.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies