Which are worse:the Roman Catholics, So.Baptists or Twelvers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:12:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which are worse:the Roman Catholics, So.Baptists or Twelvers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which are worse:the Catholics, SBs or Twelvers?
Catholics

So.Baptists

Twelvers/Shi'a

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Which are worse:the Roman Catholics, So.Baptists or Twelvers?  (Read 1607 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »

This should be fun.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »

Theologically?  No clue.  I don't buy into any of them, so I can't say.  On a personal level?  I've met very decent Catholics and Baptists, though all the Muslims I know are Sunni so I don't really have any personal basis for Twelver Shia Islam (or Seveners or Fivers, for that matter).
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:40:37 AM »

Pretty stupid poll to be honest.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:48:09 AM »

Catholics are fine, I grew up surrounded by Catholics and never had a problem with any really.  And my best friend in the world is a Southern Baptist, so that kinda takes that one out.  So there you go. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »

I prefer those who believe but don't subscribe to organized religion......

The Bible quoters are by far the most hideous......whatever religion they are.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »

I don't know any Southern Baptists (outside of the forum) and I don't know any Twelvers, so I can't say.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

I can tell you whose clergy looks most normal...

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »

Being that I only have experience with Southern Baptists, it's pretty hard to imagine any organization worse than theirs.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »

Which really means nothing. Someone who dresses oddly could be more intelligent, correct, and nice than someone who dresses normally.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »

Which really means nothing. Someone who dresses oddly could be more intelligent, correct, and nice than someone who dresses normally.

The poll is stupid, so I answered in the only way I know how to identify with these groups on a non-theological level: I'd rather hang out with a Baptist pastor than a priest or Muslim cleric.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »

The poll is stupid, so I answered in the only way I know how to identify with these groups on a non-theological level: I'd rather hang out with a Baptist pastor than a priest or Muslim cleric.

Personally I'd like to hang out with whichever is the most intelligent, correct, and nice, but that's just me.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

Personally I'd like to hang out with whichever is the most intelligent, correct, and nice, but that's just me.

Correct? Don't you think all of them are incorrect? I also don't give IQ tests before determining who I make friends with or who I go out to dinner with. I'm just not a snob like that.

I'd rather hang out with a guy that's like me. Al-Sadr or Khomenei might be brilliant guys, but I sincerely doubt I'd have much in common with them. Most Southern Baptist pastors I know are pretty cool guys, dudes I can have a barbeque in the yard with or take fishing. And I've known a couple cool Catholic priests, but for the most part I wouldn't want to hang out with the priests I've known.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:54:29 AM »

Correct? Don't you think all of them are incorrect?

Well, everyone is incorrect to an extent, but some are more incorrect than the others. Might not have been the right word to use. For instance the Pope is incorrect in how he's handling the whole sex abuse scandal among other things. Al-Sadr is wrong about a great many things as well. Of course that doesn't mean I'd use the Pope or Al-Sadr as a standard model of the clergy of those two faiths. I may very well like other members of their clergy, and so might you. I could potentially hang out with members of all three faiths, depending on the individual.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, you're the type of snob to judge someone by how they dress. Wink

I don't either, but I prefer to hang out with intelligent people - the conversation is usually better, religious or not.

I like barbeque and fishing as much as the next guy, but just because someone might also be into that doesn't mean I would want to hang out with them. I keep a small circle of friends, and I prefer to have more in common with them than that.

I've known a few and I'd be glad to hang out with them for a while.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies