Which religious group is the most 'sectarian' in its voting nature?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:25:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which religious group is the most 'sectarian' in its voting nature?  (Read 7182 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »

Same as topic.

useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »

There could be smaller groups, perhaps the Quakers, who vote overwhelmingly Democrat. Same might be for more liberal protestant churches (UCC maybe). If we're talking big chunks though, you have to go with the Mormons. I made a long post sort of dealing with it here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=108002.0
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:28 PM »

Any of the black churches, though it's not religion that is the cause.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »

I would think that the AME Church would be up there. It was founded as a split of black churches almost 200 years ago, it remains overwhelmingly black, and votes overwhelmingly for Democrats.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:02 AM »

Any of the black churches, though it's not religion that is the cause.

I thought of the black churches, but set them aside for my post because it doesn't really have anything to do with their religion, really. They're "sectarian", but on the basis of race.

I mentioned the other groups because of their non-racial nature.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52:21 AM »

This thread can't go without mentioning the awesome (in both senses of the word) super-Orthodox Jewish enclaves in New York state.  They're so damn sectarian they'll swing from 99% Republican to 90% Democratic for different races on the same ballot, almost solely based on "good for Israel."
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:53:52 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2010, 08:01:34 AM by Verily »

This thread can't go without mentioning the awesome (in both senses of the word) super-Orthodox Jewish enclaves in New York state.  They're so damn sectarian they'll swing from 99% Republican to 90% Democratic for different races on the same ballot, almost solely based on "good for Israel."

No. Many (most?) Hasidic Jews are actually opposed to the existence of Israel, believing that the Jews must not return to Israel until the Messiah has come. They picket against things like the Israel Day Parade in NYC on a regular basis.

This is true of the Satmars, anyway (the dominant group in Williamsburg and Kiryas Joel and a large portion of the Hasidim in Borough Park). Some of the Hasidim enclaves may not think the same way, however, and would presumably be ultra-supportive of Israel.

They vote as a bloc for their own local interests (e.g., the Kiryas Joel sect will support any politician who will support their annexation of surrounding towns), and the interests of their rabbis.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:01:40 AM »

They vote as a bloc for their own local interests (e.g., the Kiryas Joel sect will support any politician who will support their annexation of surrounding towns), and the interests of their rabbis.

Hasidic Jews do the same here; leading to hilarious voting patterns in some areas. And amusing defections, sometimes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »

This thread can't go without mentioning the awesome (in both senses of the word) super-Orthodox Jewish enclaves in New York state.  They're so damn sectarian they'll swing from 99% Republican to 90% Democratic for different races on the same ballot, almost solely based on "good for Israel."

No. Many (most?) Hasidic Jews are actually opposed to the existence of Israel, believing that the Jews must not return to Israel until the Messiah has come. They picket against things like the Israel Day Parade in NYC on a regular basis.

This is true of the Satmars, anyway (the dominant group in Williamsburg and Kiryas Joel and a large portion of the Hasidim in Borough Park). Some of the Hasidim enclaves may not think the same way, however, and would presumably be ultra-supportive of Israel.

Wow, you're right, and I had been told this before.  Hard fail on my part; sorry.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »

Mormons.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »

Jews are the most Liberal. "Earn like Evagcials, vote like Puerto Ricans"
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »

Jews are the most Liberal. "Earn like Evagcials, vote like Puerto Ricans"

I think you want "Episcopalians" there.

Though nowadays the Episcopalians kind of vote like Puerto Ricans too. Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »

Wow, you're right, and I had been told this before.  Hard fail on my part; sorry.

Not all of them are like that. Its just a fringe group called Neturei Karta.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »

Yeah, that's the first I've heard the idea that Hasidic Jews in general oppose Israel. It's a small fringe as far as I know. Most Hasidic Jews staunchly support Israel.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2010, 04:31:47 PM by Verily »

Wow, you're right, and I had been told this before.  Hard fail on my part; sorry.

Yeah, that's the first I've heard the idea that Hasidic Jews in general oppose Israel. It's a small fringe as far as I know. Most Hasidic Jews staunchly support Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredim_and_Zionism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredim_and_Zionism#Groups_which_are_opposed_to_recognition_of_the_State_of_Israel

The majority of Haredi sects (divided into the Hasidic and Lithuanian branches) oppose the existence of Israel either strongly or weakly. The Satmars are the largest Haredi dynasty and oppose Israel. (Generally, the divide is an Ashkenazic/Sephardic one, with the Ashkenazic Haredim opposing Israel to varying degrees and the Sephardic Haredim supporting Israel. Shas, the ultra-Orthodox political party in Israel represents the pro-Israel Sephardic ultra-Orthodox.)

Neturei Karta is exceptionally extreme, but opposition to Israel is quite mainstream among the Hasidim.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »

I suspect that most don't especially care; they're remarkably insular communities.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »

Mormons and Southern Baptists (I think).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »

I suspect that most don't especially care; they're remarkably insular communities.

Certainly it isn't a major voting issue for them. They support pro-Israel candidates regularly. I was just pointing out that they don't actively vote for pro-Israel candidates because the candidates are pro-Israel.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »

i suspect the LDS has the most voting discipline, Harry Reid and the Udahls to the contrary notwithstanding.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2010, 09:59:07 AM by brittain33 »

I wonder what the numbers are for Dutch Reformed. The strongest country for Bush in '04, I think, was on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, and then there's those two counties in northwest Iowa.

But then I wonder who in Utah County is voting Democratic.
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »

The most uniform voting block is probably the Jehovah's Witnesses, with 100% not voting.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »

I wonder what the numbers are for Dutch Reformed. The strongest country for Bush in '04, I think, was on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, and then there's those two counties in northwest Iowa.

Not at all. Bush's strongest counties were the typical western nowhere places. Ottawa in Michigan though (the one you mentioned) is probably up there among counties above a certain population though...

I actually once "met" a girl online who was such a person. She was an active member of her liberal Protestant church. Yeah, really makes you wonder what it's like to be such a person.

The most uniform voting block is probably the Jehovah's Witnesses, with 100% not voting.

Actually according to a Pew poll, only 56% don't vote. Most of that do vote actually lean Democratic (not that surprising really though since they would basically be the equivalent of "Jack Mormons" or "Cafeteria Catholics".)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:51 PM »

Not at all. Bush's strongest counties were the typical western nowhere places. Ottawa in Michigan though (the one you mentioned) is probably up there among counties above a certain population though...

>70% Bush '04 Counties with more than 100,000 total votes
1. Utah County, UT (85.99%)
2. Davis County, UT (78.88%)
3. Montgomery County, TX (78.11%)
4. St. Tammany Parish, LA (74.70%)
5. Hamilton County, IN (74.24%)
6. Ottawa County, MI (71.55%)
7. Collin County, TX (71.15%)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 12:39:06 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2010, 01:42:49 PM by Rochambeau »

Jews (or possibly Evangelicals)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »

I actually once "met" a girl online who was such a person. She was an active member of her liberal Protestant church. Yeah, really makes you wonder what it's like to be such a person.

Actually according to a Pew poll, only 56% don't vote. Most of that do vote actually lean Democratic (not that surprising really though since they would basically be the equivalent of "Jack Mormons" or "Cafeteria Catholics".)
IIRC most US JW's are Black, too, so...

Yeah... aren't those people in Iowa a *specific* Dutch Reformed Church? If so they probably take the cake.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies