I Think The Bush Team Has It Locked Up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  I Think The Bush Team Has It Locked Up
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I Think The Bush Team Has It Locked Up  (Read 5377 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004, 12:27:46 AM »

How does this hurt Kerry?  He was doing fine before this story ever came up; even if this latest angle is true, the fact that Bush may have an excuse doesn't make him any better off than he was four days ago.

Kerry just made a very big deal, and ran commercials, about how "incompentent" Bush was for not securing something that wasn't there.  You better read the thread.

so Kerry just lost the 12 voters he swayed with those commercials. What a travesty.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004, 12:30:17 AM »

All that I have heard from liberals is that Iraq was a waste, how they posed no threat.   This is a homerun for the GOP. 

You evidently have absolutely no idea what anybody's argument against the war in Iraq was.  Nobody has argued that Iraq didn't have conventional weapons.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2004, 12:30:35 AM »

These missing weapons aren't WMDs.  My impression was that there are millions of tons of these sort of explosives in the counrty, and that is no revelation.

This isn't about WMD's.  It's about Kerry's intellectual dishonesty is running ads saying how terrible Bush was for not securing weapons that weren't there.  It looks like they migh have pulled the stop already.

This is what was giving Kerry the momentum, such as it was.  It's gone and he looks dishonest and possibly unpatriotic.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 12:32:37 AM »

These missing weapons aren't WMDs.  My impression was that there are millions of tons of these sort of explosives in the counrty, and that is no revelation.

This isn't about WMD's.  It's about Kerry's intellectual dishonesty[b/] is running ads saying how terrible Bush was for not securing weapons that weren't there.  It looks like they migh have pulled the stop already.

This is what was giving Kerry the momentum, such as it was.  It's gone and he looks dishonest and possibly unpatriotic.

So maybe it might have been a dumb idea to be so quick to jump on it.  I honestly cannot see too many people caring.  We'll have to wait a day or two, but I don't see this story having such an enormous impact on the campaign.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2004, 12:33:27 AM »

Kerry is up on Erc's signature. Even though I think his methodology is screwy, a raise does mean he's going up on Tradesports. If this was as devestating as all the Republicans seem to want to believe Kerry would be dropping like a rock on TS now.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2004, 12:37:30 AM »

It's certainly not devastating. It hurts Kerry only insofar as a focus on foreign policy helps Bush (which all the polls say it does).

Is a President really going to lose if he has a 20 point leadership advantage? I'm skeptical. But this story is now a wash.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2004, 12:38:34 AM »

So maybe it might have been a dumb idea to be so quick to jump on it.  I honestly cannot see too many people caring.  We'll have to wait a day or two, but I don't see this story having such an enormous impact on the campaign.

This is a close race, Kerry made an issue of Bush's "incompetence" in not securing it, and ran TV spots on it.  Now it turns out that what Kerry's saying is likely false; he made the charge without proof.  That speaks volumes to his honesty and judgment.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2004, 12:39:17 AM »

Yay!  Someone's paying attention to my sig!!!

The recent increases for Kerry were essentially caused by upswings in OH, WI, IA, (and FL).  But Bush did have a pretty major blip (upper 60s in WI & IA) a few days back, which is part of it.

But it's still worrying.  Kerry's up about 5 from when I started this about a week ago.

Of course, these odds are determined by people betting on the individual states and the methodology is indeed horribly screwy, but it's worrying.

On another note:  In the last week, Bush has gone up about 25 in New Mexico... (low 30's to high 50's).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2004, 12:40:12 AM »

you seem to think the average person is going to think as far into this as you are.

the average person when they hear the words "weapons" and "Iraq" in the same sentence thinks "ah, more news from that place, whatever"
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2004, 12:41:17 AM »

This is a close race, Kerry made an issue of Bush's "incompetence" in not securing it, and ran TV spots on it.  Now it turns out that what Kerry's saying is likely false; he made the charge without proof.  That speaks volumes to his honesty and judgment.

It depends.  On one hand, the public may see this vindication and may turn against Kerry for attacking Bush.  On the other hand, the public may now simply be unsure about it and the damage may have already been done, even if the claim did turn out to be wrong.  I really have no idea.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004, 01:06:59 AM »

It depends.  On one hand, the public may see this vindication and may turn against Kerry for attacking Bush.  On the other hand, the public may now simply be unsure about it and the damage may have already been done, even if the claim did turn out to be wrong.  I really have no idea.

It does several things. 

1.  It stops a major avenue for Kerry to attack, the axis of attack that he was counting on.  His momentum just went to zero.

2.  He raised the issue, loudly.  Now, it becomes a question of his intellectual honesty, his judgment in making an unsubstantiated attack that turned out to be false, his judgment in believing it, his true fitness to be commander-in-chief, even his patriotism in, indirectly, challenging an action in the field. 

Either one can easily jar a close race into clear Bush lead.  He, and his staff, should have asked some tough questions before grabbing up this issue.  They are about to pay for it.

I bet he doesn't mention it in his speeches tomorrow.
Rococo4

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 01:17:02 AM »

It does several things. 

1.  It stops a major avenue for Kerry to attack, the axis of attack that he was counting on.  His momentum just went to zero.

2.  He raised the issue, loudly.  Now, it becomes a question of his intellectual honesty, his judgment in making an unsubstantiated attack that turned out to be false, his judgment in believing it, his true fitness to be commander-in-chief, even his patriotism in, indirectly, challenging an action in the field. 

Either one can easily jar a close race into clear Bush lead.  He, and his staff, should have asked some tough questions before grabbing up this issue.  They are about to pay for it.

I bet he doesn't mention it in his speeches tomorrow.

I bet he does mention it tomorrow.....he cut a commercial about this when he didnt even know for sure if it was true...there really is no turning back now
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2004, 02:02:38 AM »

Kerry kept on and on and on and on and on and on about how Iraq was harmless and we shouldnt of went to war.  Iraq was just proven to have been dangerous.  Of course, according to Michael Moore Iraq was a peaceful place where children flew kites all day, no weapons there.  Nope. 
IRAQ HAD WEAPONS.  They snuck them out right before the troops came.  If we didnt go to Iraq, then we would be less safe.

How come we would be less safe? at least those explosives were in Iraq before.. where are they now?? anybody knows?
Saddam had them before - who has them now? Al Qaeda? anybody knows? Are we safer now?

If it is true that the Russians helped to move the explosives out (which is still not proven) - what does that says of Bush relationship with Putin? did he judged him correctly? are we safer now?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2004, 02:28:03 AM »

1. This makes Kerry look like an ass who wanted to politicize a security issue when he irrefutably had no clue what he was talking about.

2. This innoculates Bush from further criticism on this issue.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2004, 02:31:37 AM »

1. This makes Kerry look like an ass who wanted to politicize a security issue when he irrefutably had no clue what he was talking about.

2. This innoculates Bush from further criticism on this issue.

3. The moon is made of green cheese
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2004, 03:35:20 AM »

4. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2004, 08:07:31 AM »

Bush will be in FL, OH, PA, WI thru saturday, and Mrs Bush Is In FL -- They are where the need to, unlike 4 years ago, this is my opinion

RichardNixon has a thread where he is already conceding the election, and you have one already declaring victory.

The election is yet to be held, and could be won by either major party candidate (although I think Bush is at this point more likely to win).

The key problem facing Bush at this time is the potential for vote fraud.

The Soros financed groups have dumpted a lot of fraudulent voter registrations at the registration deadline.

How many fraudulent votes will be case is unknown.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2004, 09:26:22 AM »

How does this hurt Kerry?  He was doing fine before this story ever came up; even if this latest angle is true, the fact that Bush may have an excuse doesn't make him any better off than he was four days ago.

Kerry just made a very big deal, and ran commercials, about how "incompentent" Bush was for not securing something that wasn't there.  You better read the thread.

so Kerry just lost the 12 voters he swayed with those commercials. What a travesty.

ill save this post in case bush wins ohio by merely 12 votes.
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2004, 11:14:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
How come we would be less safe? at least those explosives were in Iraq before.. where are they now?? anybody knows?
Saddam had them before - who has them now? Al Qaeda? anybody knows? Are we safer now?

If it is true that the Russians helped to move the explosives out (which is still not proven) - what does that says of Bush relationship with Putin? did he judged him correctly? are we safer now?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I suppose this would make Russia part of the Axis of Evil.  This story doesn't make any sense.  There are no specifics in terms of evidence, just assertions and vague claims that they have information and documents and that it comes from good sources.  We've heard that before.

And it doesn't make any sense that Iraq, if it wanted to move this material to Syria, would need Russian special forces.  Come on!  Didn't Iraq have the capacity to move these weapons on its own?  And if not, what does that say about Iraq's capabilities as a dangerous power?  Furthermore, if the Russians were involved, why would they leave them in Syria, instead of leaving anything to chance and taking them back to Russia.
phillies
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2004, 07:03:36 PM »

This isn't about WMD's.  It's about Kerry's intellectual dishonesty is running ads saying how terrible Bush was for not securing weapons that weren't there.  It looks like they migh have pulled the stop already.

This is what was giving Kerry the momentum, such as it was.  It's gone and he looks dishonest and possibly unpatriotic.

If stories about intellectual dishonesty matter, consider the item now on Daily Kos, in which a Bush campaign ad shows him facing a line of smiling soldiers--in significant part, the same three soldiers repeats once and again via computer magic.

Actually,a  campaign ad in which the President has lined up the soldiers he commands to be used for his campaign, including soldiers who are Democrats, is as unpatriotic as you can get.  But don't look for people to get upset about it.

I propose that many voters are not following this level of hot air to care either way, and most of the rest have closed their minds tight.  For this reason, Bush's polling number has been stuch at 48% in most poll average for some time now.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2004, 07:11:58 PM »

This isn't about WMD's.  It's about Kerry's intellectual dishonesty is running ads saying how terrible Bush was for not securing weapons that weren't there.  It looks like they migh have pulled the stop already.

If stories about intellectual dishonesty matter, consider the item now on Daily Kos, in which a Bush campaign ad shows him facing a line of smiling soldiers--in significant part, the same three soldiers repeats once and again via computer magic.

It was done for purpose of appearence, because they had to remove part of a podium or something, according to CNN; t was corrected with an insert from soldiers from another part of the picture that wasn't in the ad. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2004, 09:23:48 PM »

It's definitely trending for Bush.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies