Can you construct your own supply curve of labor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:45:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Can you construct your own supply curve of labor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can you construct your own supply curve of labor?  (Read 803 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2010, 04:45:37 PM by phknrocket1k »

I was curious and constructed mine with estimated wages (in units of dollars) and hours.

There are fundamental concepts in Labor Economics that are included in the graph. which ensure that the graph is backward bending.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

What do you mean 'your own'?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »

Do exactly what I did but for yourself.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »

Christ who knows.  It all depends on how much money one has.  If one has enough to live from ones stipend one never thinks of working.  If one has no stipend, then one must work for whatever they'll give one.

It is a kind of bizarre idea that anyone has much choice regarding the issue of work or pay.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »

Christ who knows.  It all depends on how much money one has.  If one has enough to live from ones stipend one never thinks of working.  If one has no stipend, then one must work for whatever they'll give one.

It is a kind of bizarre idea that anyone has much choice regarding the issue of work or pay.

Well the general concept is that early on, wage increases will induce you to work more which means you are substituting leisure for work. This phenomenon is called the substitution effect.

Than we get to a point where you're work hours are maximized and thus your leisure is minimized.

After this point, wage increases will actually induce you to work less and you substitute work for leisure. This phenomenon is called the income effect.

Thus this gives one the backward bending supply of labor.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

Was yours hours per day or per week? 
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »

Was yours hours per day or per week?  

Hours per day is the units I used. It needn't be, since I could aggregate it to weeks, months, years, etc.

As long as the units are realistic and the numbers sane, its a good graph.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »

Christ who knows.  It all depends on how much money one has.  If one has enough to live from ones stipend one never thinks of working.  If one has no stipend, then one must work for whatever they'll give one.

Heh. Good point... Wealth effects should be taken into account.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

Given the numbers on Rocket's  right vertical axis, I doubt that I would even bother to get out of bed. Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »

Given the numbers on Rocket's  right vertical axis, I doubt that I would even bother to get out of bed. Tongue

Heh... I'd be curious as to your supply.

Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »

Heh... I'd be curious as to your supply.

Around maybe $150 an hour net, I would guess, and if it gets more than about 20 hours a week, than about double that, unless it is a very interesting project. I actually like working my trade, as long as it does not interfere to much with other activities that I am into, like getting ripped. And yes, I am one lucky guy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2010, 11:16:13 PM by opebo »

Given the numbers on Rocket's  right vertical axis, I doubt that I would even bother to get out of bed. Tongue
Around maybe $150 an hour net, I would guess, and if it gets more than about 20 hours a week, than about double that, unless it is a very interesting project. I actually like working my trade, as long as it does not interfere to much with other activities that I am into, like getting ripped. And yes, I am one lucky guy.

Probably the correct term is 'privileged', rather than lucky, but yes, you are.  The wage rates on phnkrocket's chart are actually above normal for the vast majority of americans.

Oh and btw, am I the only one that finds the term 'ripped' disgusting?
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »

Why do you find the term "ripped," "disgusting" Opebo (other than that it is somewhat vague, regarding which I pondered before deciding to just go for it)? Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2010, 02:04:43 AM by phknrocket1k »

Given the numbers on Rocket's  right vertical axis, I doubt that I would even bother to get out of bed. Tongue

Probably the correct term is 'privileged', rather than lucky, but yes, you are.  The wage rates on phnkrocket's chart are actually above normal for the vast majority of americans.

Oh and btw, am I the only one that finds the term 'ripped' disgusting?

As a young Indian kid, I was fixing computers for $50 a pop at age 16. Must have created a wealth effect heh.

Hopefully my CFA days are soon here, so I can earn potentially $150k salaried and maybe some more in investments.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 02:08:50 AM »

I don't know what my supply curve would look like. School has always put a rather low limit on how much I could work.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:29 PM »

Why do you find the term "ripped," "disgusting" Opebo (other than that it is somewhat vague, regarding which I pondered before deciding to just go for it)? Smiley

I'm just not a very slangy guy, and it sounds a bit violent.  I would hate to think of any part of MY body ever being 'ripped'!  Or maybe it is meant to allude to ripping phone books apart like you muscle men do.

As a young Indian kid, I was fixing computers for $50 a pop at age 16. Must have created a wealth effect heh.

Hopefully my CFA days are soon here, so I can earn potentially $150k salaried and maybe some more in investments.

I would like to get a job as a young Indian kid.   As for wishing for 'CFA days', becareful.  Remember, wishing to move forward in time at an accellerated (or perceived as accellerated) rate is suicidal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies