Is it constitutional for a former two term President to serve as VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:12:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is it constitutional for a former two term President to serve as VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it constitutional for a former two term President to serve as VP?  (Read 1876 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »

I'd say No, since if a President already served 8 years and there is a chance that he would serve more than 10 exact years (if he was the VP and became Prez once something happened to the incumbent), then it is unconstitutional for that former President to serve or be elected as VP.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »

No.  If he can't be President, he can't be Vice President.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »

It also specifically says in the Constitution that the Vice Presidency has the same qualifications as the Presidency, so the answer is obvious.

Reading comprehension, man.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:38:56 AM »

Exactly.  Now, if he were to be appointed VP in the 3rd year because the current VP had died, then I think a former 2 term President could serve as a VP.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »

Exactly.  Now, if he were to be appointed VP in the 3rd year because the current VP had died, then I think a former 2 term President could serve as a VP.

No.  The limit is not ten years of service, it is being elected President twice or be being elected once and serving more than two years of a term someone else was elected to that is forbidden.  Hence anyone who is elected President twice without having already served some part of a term is ineligible to be Vice President, even for a portion of a term that was would not have rendered him ineligible to be elected twice later.

Conversely, it is possible to be President for more than ten years under the following Scenario.

2016: President Alpha and Vice President Omega are elected.
2017: President Alpha dies one month into office and we get three years eleven months of President Omega.
2020: President Beta and Vice President Omega are elected.
2021: President Beta dies one month into office and we get three years eleven months of President Omega.

Despite having  now served seven years ten months, Omega has still not been elected President for a term of his own and thus is eligible under the 22nd Amendment to run for either President or Vice President in 2024. If Omega ran for President and won then he would sere a total of eleven years ten months by the end of his term. (Why anyone would choose to have Omega as their running mate at this time is unclear, as if I were President Gamma, I'd be worried about dying a month into office if I had Omega as my Vice President.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies