Conversion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:27:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Conversion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 8884 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »

No, I have been a Catholic as far as I can remember.

Go troll somewhere else.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 03:13:19 PM »

I was a atheist, now I'm a agnostic.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »

By the way I can't seem to find Sewer's original quote.
Methinks somebody can't take a joke.......
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »

This forum is not an appropriate place for evangelising.

Have you informed jmfacist about this, Al?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 10:51:33 AM »

Um.. Where did Sewer's post go?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 11:19:08 AM »

Technically you're still an atheist if you don't have a belief in a god. Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive terms - you can be both, as I am.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

I was born to atheist family, I was raised an atheist, I come up with conclusion that I want to stay an atheist so harrash someone else.

First reasonable post so far. Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »

To hell silly goose.
Everybody knows that comparing the honorable Catholic Church to the North American Man/Boy Love Association is of the utmost levels of blasphemy that warrants automatic eternal damnation.
You dare question the Good Lord's Will?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »

To hell silly goose.
Everybody knows that comparing the honorable Catholic Church to the North American Man/Boy Love Association is of the utmost levels of blasphemy that warrants automatic eternal damnation.
You dare question the Good Lord's Will?

Ah, Good riddance to the heathen! May Sewer burn in a shallow grave for his Luciferian crimes against Jeebus.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »

This forum is not an appropriate place for evangelising.

Have you informed jmfacist about this, Al?

There is such a thing as a futile action.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »

Ah, Fezzy's going to join us in Hell too.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »

I'm running for Governor of Hell.  I can encourage the growth of Hell at the expense of Heaven.  Satan hasn't done enough to help it grow.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »

I'm running for Governor of Hell.  I can encourage the growth of Hell at the expense of Heaven.  Satan hasn't done enough to help it grow.

And being from Jersey, Fezzy has a deep understanding of what it's like to live in hell.........so I endorse him.  Wink
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »

And being from Jersey, Fezzy has a deep understanding of what it's like to live in hell.........so I endorse him.  Wink

Exactly, I was born for this job.  Satan can suck it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »

People - although one may have certain, um, reservations concerning the poster who started this thread, it is still a legitimate one. If you want to engage in unfunny Catholic-bashing and other such things take it somewhere else.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »

What's the problem here?  I don't remember saying anything offensive, yet my post is gone.  I haven't "bashed" Catholics any more than they have themselves.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

What's the problem here?  I don't remember saying anything offensive, yet my post is gone.  I haven't "bashed" Catholics any more than they have themselves.

Saying that you might as well join NAMBLA as the Catholic church is clearly offensive. Please note though, that the standard here is not that you cannot accuse the Catholic Church of wrongdoing. But if people are actually discussing conversion issues I don't want hardcore atheists derailing the discussion by making distasteful jokes about churches they don't like. Several of the last posts seem to be going down that road.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2010, 07:17:54 PM by fezzyfestoon »

It's quite a stretch to call me a "hardcore" atheist, though I'm not sure of others' beliefs.  I also think there's nothing about comparing the Catholic church to NAMBLA that they haven't brought on themselves.  I find what they do far more distasteful than NAMBLA considering it's the same exact thing only completely open and honest, two things the Catholic church seems to have issues with even after all this time.  I don't think picking sides is constructive in a forum designed to be the meeting ground of many different perspectives.  A conversation will go where it goes, changing it because someone pisses and moans about it isn't going to do anything.  Regardless, our problems with the Catholic church have everything to do with a conversation about possible conversion to Catholicism.

PS - Any institution that spews as much as the Catholic church does about being good and whatever while building billions of dollars of monuments and crap in an entire nation shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place.  Do you know how many meals could be provided to starving children if the Vatican were sold?  There's also the fact that I for the life of me could not find a single Jesus or God statue in that place that was of more prominence than the countless saints and popes being idolized.  Isn't that also one of the first things not to do?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »

It's quite a stretch to call me a "hardcore" atheist, though I'm not sure of others' beliefs.  I also think there's nothing about comparing the Catholic church to NAMBLA that they haven't brought on themselves.  I find what they do far more distasteful than NAMBLA considering it's the same exact thing only completely open and honest, two things the Catholic church seems to have issues with even after all this time.  I don't think picking sides is constructive in a forum designed to be the meeting ground of many different perspectives.  A conversation will go where it goes, changing it because someone pisses and moans about it isn't going to do anything.  Regardless, our problems with the Catholic church have everything to do with a conversation about possible conversion to Catholicism.

PS - Any institution that spews as much as the Catholic church does about being good and whatever while building billions of dollars of monuments and crap in an entire nation shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place.  Do you know how many meals could be provided to starving children if the Vatican were sold?  There's also the fact that I for the life of me could not find a single Jesus or God statue in that place that was of more prominence than the countless saints and popes being idolized.  Isn't that also one of the first things not to do?

I think you're missing my point. I'm not Catholic and neither am I a big fan of the Catholic Church. I was raised on classic Swedish literature depicting our battle for freedom against Catholic oppression, so I know a bit about Catholic-bashing.

But, again, the point of the thread is not to bash the Catholic Church. The thread is getting derailed by it and I don't approve of that. If you have further issues I suggest you PM me about it, or, if you are too upset with my decision, PM another moderator that you trust more. Or, if you want to be a real ass about it, you can start a public thread of complaint. But I don't want anymore of this stuff in this thread.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »

thanks, Gustaf
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:58 PM »

As a Catholic I'd warn anyone from deciding to become one. Don't wilfully submit yourself to the authority of the Vatican.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »

So, I just split this topic into two. Note that after my post asking people to stop the Catholic-bashing in this thread EVERY post except for Aflteich's was about that (or responding to it).

And, Fezzy, let's be honest. Saying "you might as well join NAMBLA" or making other jokes about the Catholic Church or Christianity in general is not "voicing concern over ethical issues with the Catholic Church".

As I said, I don't care particularly for the Catholic Church, that's not what this is about. From this point on you can post in this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=114577.0

Other posts in the same vein in this thread will be deleted from now on (I could have done that earlier as well, but I decided to be lenient).
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 07:28:51 AM »

You should convert.  It gives you power.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »

I was raised a Catholic, but when I became old enough to think rationally and logically for myself, I realized what an absolutely ludicrous pile of horse shit it is.  The idea of someone wanting to convert to Catholicism is hilarious, imo.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »

I was born into Catholics, and I seem to alternate between being a moderate one of them and being a Deist. It depends on how cynical I am that day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies