Conversion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:40:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Conversion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 8883 times)
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »

To those who believe in God, have you ever thought of, or have converted?

I can say it's crossed my mind many times, especially in these times. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »

I was raised Presbyterian but became Episcopalian. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »

I have also toyed with the idea numerous times, but unless there is a compelling reason for me to do so (as of yet there hasn't been any) I will remain religiously unaffiliated.  
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »

Well yes, but I don't think I'm the kind of person this thread was aimed at...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »

To even consider doing so would mean abandoning entirely the way I see the world, so no.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »

What have you thought of converting to? A Christian denomination or another strand of Judaism or something else?

After growing up sampling just about every church there is, and almost going on a mission for the LDS church, I could have been described as an agnostic at best. I did things that I find completely appalling now, and lived a lifestyle that can only be characterized as depraved. I don't think that until recently I ever was really a believer, and thought that if I ever did join a church it would be for aesthetic reasons. I viewed everything skeptically, and thought I could never really truly believe in anything supernatural.

About 6 months ago that all changed though. I can't explain why or how, but like Jmfcst would say, my brain became totally rewired. I would have thought myself crazy for believing it before, but all of a sudden I believed. It started with just having this great desire to go to church, and then after a few weeks of confusion, without acting on that desire or anything, I knew I was a different person. Before I couldn't believe in anything no matter how hard I tried, and now I know that I couldn't not believe. I had hostility towards Biblical Christianity because I had this siege mentality that came from being a Mormon in a Baptist town, and wanted to believe I was a freethinker who didn't have to be a sheep like everyone else. It probably didn't help that my mom is a pretty hardcore Baptist and wanted me to come over to her way of seeing things. Anyway it came as quite a shock to me, and I didn't really know what to do with this change until I heard a sermon by a Calvinist minister and it completely clicked for me. I started reading things about Reformed theology and although I had known quite a bit before, it completely challenged my free-will/Arminian assumptions. I knew that it wasn't as simple as saying a prayer and asking Jesus into your heart, because I'd done that before over and over and nothing ever happened. What happened to me was something I didn't ask for, something I thought that I couldn't do. I was saved completely by God's grace, and not because of any decision I made.

Anyway, I'm currently in the process of becoming a member of a Presbyterian(PCA) church here in Norfolk. I know you probably didn't want some big long story but I thought I'd give you the reasons why I chose that particular church and how it came to be that I converted.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:23:08 AM »

So you don't adhere to Mormon theology, then?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »

So you don't adhere to Mormon theology, then?

No, why? There was a time when I would have defended it, but like I said I lapsed three years ago(I assume I'm still on the membership rolls). I still in some small way consider myself a jack Mormon, a term used to describe someone who isn't active in the church but has a lot of respect for the church, the people, and their history. There are a lot of things about being LDS that I miss dearly, I just don't believe it's true anymore, if I ever did.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:48:48 AM »

To even consider doing so would mean abandoning entirely the way I see the world, so no.

What exactly would be the problem with that? If you find out that the way you view the world is wrong and you have found a new way to view it that you think is correct, why wouldn't you abandon your old way of viewing it in favor of the new way?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »

What exactly would be the problem with that? If you find out that the way you view the world is wrong and you have found a new way to view it that you think is correct, why wouldn't you abandon your old way of viewing it in favor of the new way?
^^^^^^

I agree will Dibble.  In a search for truth, you have to let the chips fall where they may, else there is no reason to go searching for the truth.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »

When I was a child I was never into religion. I found it very boring, repetitive and ritualistic and/or repressive and often despicable with its repression. Even though I was in a more progressive church my outlook I got was still mostly conservative (due to living in North Dakota mostly) and I didn't really recognize the difference between it and the Catholics and Southern Baptists and all that. I wasn't into going to church and going through repetitive sayings of some prayers and Bible verses and whatnot. There were some churches I found a bit more interesting (remember Lutheran churches can be a diverse bunch.) but they weren't the ones I usually went to. I was confirmed but didn't really care about it. When I got into the "scene" I was easy to buy what the hardcore anti-religion types within it were and started moving toward atheism. I was basically there by age 18.

After moving out of the house and going to college I got a second look at things. It was no longer being forced upon me and I actually realized there were churches that weren't repressive or based on rituals, which I basically associated every church with (Remember I lived in North Dakota.) In addition I realized there were many progressive Christians in the "scene" as well, most more open-minded than the hardcore anti-religious. I had already begun to be disgusted with many of those types even earlier (think of a slightly more mild version of Einzige.) Essentially I realized I had been just as bigoted and close-minded as the same people I was condemning.

After opening up to this I started moving away from atheism. I figured I had made a foolish judgment only based on the people I knew and my very narrow experiences. Sometime before the middle of my freshman year I started praying again. I still didn't go to church unless I was visiting at home until much later (and even now quite infrequently, I didn't go once between Christmas and last Easter.) But I have certainly converted back. The church I had been going to is basically a non-denominational one very loosely affiliated with the ELCA and prior to that I have gone to some completely non-denom ones which is what I like. I can't stand structure and heirarchy and am now kind of embarassed I made my early judgments based on such a small reference pool, but oh well teens are like that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »

When I was a child I was never into religion. I found it very boring, repetitive and ritualistic and/or repressive and often despicable with its repression. Even though I was in a more progressive church my outlook I got was still mostly conservative (due to living in North Dakota mostly) and I didn't really recognize the difference between it and the Catholics and Southern Baptists and all that. I wasn't into going to church and going through repetitive sayings of some prayers and Bible verses and whatnot. There were some churches I found a bit more interesting (remember Lutheran churches can be a diverse bunch.) but they weren't the ones I usually went to. I was confirmed but didn't really care about it. When I got into the "scene" I was easy to buy what the hardcore anti-religion types within it were and started moving toward atheism. I was basically there by age 18.

After moving out of the house and going to college I got a second look at things. It was no longer being forced upon me and I actually realized there were churches that weren't repressive or based on rituals, which I basically associated every church with (Remember I lived in North Dakota.) In addition I realized there were many progressive Christians in the "scene" as well, most more open-minded than the hardcore anti-religious. I had already begun to be disgusted with many of those types even earlier (think of a slightly more mild version of Einzige.) Essentially I realized I had been just as bigoted and close-minded as the same people I was condemning.

After opening up to this I started moving away from atheism. I figured I had made a foolish judgment only based on the people I knew and my very narrow experiences. Sometime before the middle of my freshman year I started praying again. I still didn't go to church unless I was visiting at home until much later (and even now quite infrequently, I didn't go once between Christmas and last Easter.) But I have certainly converted back. The church I had been going to is basically a non-denominational one very loosely affiliated with the ELCA and prior to that I have gone to some completely non-denom ones which is what I like. I can't stand structure and heirarchy and am now kind of embarassed I made my early judgments based on such a small reference pool, but oh well teens are like that.

I find it interesting in here that there's no actual reason stated as to WHY you believe in Christianity. From this all I can see is that you rejoined Christianity because you wanted to not consider yourself a bigot rather than having some fundamental reason to actually believe the religion's teachings. How much thought have you actually put into what you believe? Just because some atheists are dicks doesn't mean you shouldn't be an atheist, and just because some Christians are dicks doesn't mean you shouldn't be a Christian. Even if every single person who held a certain belief is a jerk in your eyes it doesn't say anything as to whether the belief is true or false.

In short - what for you makes Christianity true?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »

I was born to atheist family, I was raised an atheist, I come up with conclusion that I want to stay an atheist so harrash someone else.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36:40 AM »

I'm a Jew and agnostic, and I see no reason for changing for now. Also, you can be Jewish and atheist, you know.
danny
Israel

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

I'm a Jew and agnostic, and I see no reason for changing for now. Also, you can be Jewish and atheist, you know.

Oh, of course you can, I certainly am one. Although I never really changed since i have been an atheist as far back as i can remember myself.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 01:32:15 AM »

I'm considering Catholicism, Conservative Judaism, and Baptist Christian.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 01:48:59 AM »

The Catholic Church would love to have you. Remember that by accepting Christ and His Church you would not be abandoning your Jewish roots but rather fulfilling them as God intended.

You should read some of the writings of famed Jewish convert to Catholicism (and staunch anti-communist) David Goldstein.

Here's a piece outlining some reasons for why he converted to Catholicism and here's a full archive of Goldstein's letters.

If you have any questions, feel free and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »

Roll Eyes
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 02:32:57 AM »

That's quite a unique list. I concur wholeheartedly with Libertas's statement about fulfilling your Jewish roots.

Do you mind if I ask why you chose those three? If you're already Jewish you wouldn't have to "convert" to Conservative Judaism, but simply find a Conservative congregation to join, no?

Going to one of the other two is certainly more of a change, and as I'm sure you know based far more on belief than ancestry(esp with Baptists). Just as Libertas could probably help you with Catholicism, I could try to steer you in the right direction with regards to finding a good Baptist church.

The only thing that really binds Baptists together is a belief in believer's baptism. Other than that, you have quite a bit of diversity. You have a whole range of liberals and conservatives, Calvinists and Arminians(and those who fall in between or even hyper-"Calvinists"), traditional and contemporary worship styles, younger congregations or older ones. There are a lot of differences within even the Baptist groupings, so that makes it a little more complicated. Some differences you should know:

Southern Baptist Convention: this is the largest group. They generally aren't Arminian or Calvinist; they hold to eternal security of the believer, or "once saved, always saved", but reject that Christ died only for the elect. There is a large and growing Calvinist contingent within the convention though. They are usually moderately conservative. There are big and small congregations, ones full of young people and ones full of old people, some contemporary, some more traditional. Honestly if you were seriously interested in going to a Baptist church, a mid-sized young SBC congregation is prob what you'd want to look for.

American Baptist Churches: a mainline(aka liberal) denomination. They ordain female pastors and are far more lenient in what they let individual congregations do. Generally more gay friendly, less politically active, have more black members as a percentage than the SBC. You'd be far less likely to find a congregation full of young people. I wouldn't really recommend them.

Freewill Baptists: I don't know if there would be any up near you, but they're pretty good people. Arminians, young or old, traditional worship style.

Independents: this is the grouping with some variation, generally conservative but otherwise there's too much difference from church to church. They can be of any size, age group, racial makeup, worship style.

Independent Fundamental: Stay away from them. They are almost always KJV only, very conservative, often very legalistic.

Reformed Baptists: Calvinist Baptists. Conservative in theology but not legalistic, generally their services are a balance between contemporary and traditional. Racially diverse, usually very friendly people. They just decided to create their own grouping about 15 years ago, so they're small but growing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »

I am still nominally Catholic and still have a Catholic/Episcopalian outlook I guess. I have a very strong respect for the Quakers but I'm not sure if I would ever join.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »

The Catholic Church would love to have you. Remember that by accepting Christ and His Church you would not be abandoning your Jewish roots but rather fulfilling them as God intended.

You should read some of the writings of famed Jewish convert to Catholicism (and staunch anti-communist) David Goldstein.

Here's a piece outlining some reasons for why he converted to Catholicism and here's a full archive of Goldstein's letters.

If you have any questions, feel free and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Roll Eyes  More like abandoning your Judaism for a religion which, despite claiming to fulfill Judaism, completely fails to do so and has instead spent the better part of 2000 years persecuting Jews, with few notable exceptions.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »

Roll Eyes  More like abandoning your Judaism for a religion which, despite claiming to fulfill Judaism, completely fails to do so and has instead spent the better part of 2000 years persecuting Jews, with few notable exceptions.

Incorrect, Catholicism is the fulfilled religion of the ancient Israelites. The Catholic Church is the New Israel.

It is modern Judaism that has gone astray by rejecting the Christ Who had been foretold by the prophets when He dwelt among us on the earth.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »

This forum is not an appropriate place for evangelising.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »

Incorrect, Catholicism is the fulfilled religion of the ancient Israelites. The Catholic Church is the New Israel.

It is modern Judaism that has gone astray by rejecting the Christ Who had been foretold by the prophets when He dwelt among us on the earth.

You're making quite a bold claim without actually backing it up. What proof do you have?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2010, 12:52:58 PM by Scam of God »

I don't like converts to anything, not even people who have well and truly been convinced of an argument's premise upon its logicality. It seems to me that most individuals have innate dispositions towards certain opinions; I know that I could never be a Christian, because the notion of monotheism itself repels me. On the other hand, if I were ignorant of science, I could certainly be a polytheist, as my natural bias is towards pluralism, of which polytheism seems to be its metaphysical representative.

In other words, on issues where there is no reason involved ("By grace are ye saved, through faith..."), we must rely upon our internal set of prejudices. And mine simply does not slant in that direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies