Interest Rates Rise
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:29:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Interest Rates Rise
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interest Rates Rise  (Read 324 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »

How scary is it?

The Wall Street Journal reports:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Paul Krugman and Brad DeLong are not concerned, noting we've seen lots of yield changes of this size or higher in the past.

Even so, whether demand will continue to be there for burgeoning U.S. debt is obviously a question of great interest. Yields are now near the highest levels we've seen since the Lehman failure in September 2008, and if they continue to move up at their recent pace I wouldn't want to dismiss it as an irrelevant development.

One possibility that I think we can rule out is that recent bond moves signal renewed worries about inflation. The recent surge in yields on Treasury Inflation Protected Securities is just as dramatic.

Also, if the WSJ explanation was the right one, I would have expected the increase in interest rates to depress stock prices. But stock prices have been going up along with bond yields.

When bond yields and stock prices rise together, I would usually read that as a signal of rising investor optimism about future real economic activity. The February numbers for home sales and other indicators that we've been receiving most recently don't exactly support that thesis. Let's hope that investors are correctly anticipating that better news lies ahead.

http://www.econbrowser.com/
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »

Well, firstly, this is a normal sign of a recovering economy, and secondly even if it weren't why couldn't we just have the Fed 'buy' the treasuries?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies