Ireland: the £20bn price of fixing its banks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:34:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Ireland: the £20bn price of fixing its banks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ireland: the £20bn price of fixing its banks  (Read 601 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »

A year and half after what many see as the world's worst ever banking crisis, banks are still being mended.

In Ireland, the government - which has already gone a long way to fixing its finances with massive spending cuts - has announced what it hopes will be the last phase of the reconstruction of its banks.

Some £72bn of property loans that have gone bad are being transferred from the banks to a new state institution, the National Asset Management Agency.

In that sense, these lamentable loans are being nationalised.

The loan transfers agreed so far will be at a painful discount of 47 per cent to face value so the banks will incur big losses on the deals - which will deplete banks' capital, the buffer against future losses.

The banks are also being forced to hold more capital in general. They'll have to raise £20bn in total.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2010/03/ireland_the_20bn_price_of_fixi.html

That is about 4,500 euros for every person.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »

There is absolutely nothing of any interest on this topic that can't be probably summarized by sighing really loudly. Such is life.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »

I hope the big boom was worth it!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »

I think of the boom as more a great era of egotistical not economic expansion.

Our level of pretentiousness has thankfully gone the same way as the economy. Though typically it is the least pretentious who end up having to pay for it all.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:38:25 AM »

The rescuing of Anglo-Irish Bank is the wrong side of madness and we seem to only delve deeper into that particular Wonderland as time goes on. It's beyond insolvent and it doesn't have the systemic importance which attachs to other institutions. The failure to at least let the subordinated bond holders of Anglo go to the wall is quite possibly immoral.

Mmm...yes, of course it was. Beyond any shadow of doubt.
That's Celtic Tiger I, I'm referring to - rather than the property bubble based sequel (2003-07) and cause of our current sorry mess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies