Competitive Presidential Elections Bill [on presidents desk]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:45:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Competitive Presidential Elections Bill [on presidents desk]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Competitive Presidential Elections Bill [on presidents desk]  (Read 4825 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
« edited: April 07, 2010, 08:40:55 PM by Bacon King »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Bgwah

(This bill is in slot five)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:07:08 PM »

This would lead to partisan picks for elections, which would actually make elections even more uncompetitive. This bill would actually create more problems. I shall be opposing it and I strongly urge fellow Senators to do the same.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »

This would lead to partisan picks for elections, which would actually make elections even more uncompetitive. This bill would actually create more problems. I shall be opposing it and I strongly urge fellow Senators to do the same.

I echo your concerns on this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »

A Presidential candidate should be able to pick whoever they want as their Vice President, regardless of party.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »

A Presidential candidate should be able to pick whoever they want as their Vice President, regardless of party.

Why?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »

Why?
Because, the Presidential candidate probably wants to find the best possible candidate. Why should it matter which party they are in?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:54:27 PM »

Why?
Because, the Presidential candidate probably wants to find the best possible candidate. Why should it matter which party they are in?

Unity tickets suck.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »

I would like to voice my support for Senators Winston, NCY, and tmthforu on this issue. This bill would make things even less competitive and less interesting. Bad idea.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »

How would it make presidential elections less competitive?

It would bring back the interesting dynamic of second, third, fourth, etc. preferences that we used to have in some presidential elections. It would also make our elections slightly more realistic... Unity tickets don't happen in real U.S. elections.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »

It would bring back the interesting dynamic of second, third, fourth, etc. preferences that we used to have in some presidential elections. It would also make our elections slightly more realistic... Unity tickets don't happen in real U.S. elections.

And real U.S. elections are incredibly boring, formulaic events...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »

It would make them less competititive by more or less ensuring that people vote for their party. They already do to a large extent and it's only the running mate that tends to make things slightly more interesting. I agree that we need more competitive elections, but this is the wrong way to go about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:35:11 AM »

Why?

Why not?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »

Why?

Unity tickets suck.

Says the guy who ran on a unity ticket.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 02:32:51 PM »

Why should unity tickets not be allowed? What is specifically wrong with them that should make them banned from the game. Are they a threat to the game? No. Are they making elections less competitive? No, if anything, they're making them more interesting.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »

The main point of this bill aside for a moment, I do think independents should be allowed to be on a ticket with someone from a party.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »

I think we should keep the status quo. If someone wants to run a unity ticket, they can become an independent and choose the candidate of their choice anyway. These bills trying to foster competitiveness seem to be needless legislation to me. I don't think it would have much of an impact. In the October election, the DA ran their own ticket, the JCP ran their own ticket, and the RPP ran their own ticket. I don't remember that election being any more competitive than the previous.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »

Why should unity tickets not be allowed? What is specifically wrong with them that should make them banned from the game. Are they a threat to the game? No. Are they making elections less competitive? No, if anything, they're making them more interesting.

They're boring and uninteresting.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »

They're boring and uninteresting.
That's just an opinion. Is there any factual evidence that proves that they make elections boring and uninteresting?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 05:03:46 AM »

It seems a better way of ensuring the objective of this bill would be to ban parties (over a threshold size) from having all its presidential and vice presidential candidates on the same ticket.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »

I still support freedom of choice in this case. We shouldn't mandate anything. We've had competitive elections with both single party and unity tickets.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »

I don't care whether the presidential candidate and the VP nominee to come from the same party. The only thing we could do better is that the candidates must fixed 2 weeks before the election. I'm not a fan of such actions like the last time. In this 2 weeks we could have a chance for a good and interesting campaign.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »

I don't care whether the presidential candidate and the VP nominee to come from the same party. The only thing we could do better is that the candidates must fixed 2 weeks before the election. I'm not a fan of such actions like the last time. In this 2 weeks we could have a chance for a good and interesting campaign.
That's actually not a bad idea, although I think just 1 week would be easer.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »

That seems much easier to defend than this bill, fwiw.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »

Hmm, yeah I would like to see at least a one week limit brought back.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »

This bill places a completely unnecessary restriction to freedom in the game.  I will not support this.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies