State Houses 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:55:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Houses 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Houses 2010  (Read 912 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »

How important are the state house elections this year with the forthcoming redistribution of Congressional Seats?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2010, 04:57:10 PM by cinyc »

How important are the state house elections this year with the forthcoming redistribution of Congressional Seats?

It varies by state.  It obviously doesn't matter at all in small states that only have 1 Congressman  (Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, Vermont [did I miss one]?).   It also doesn't matter in the states that use independent commissions to redistrict.  It matters a lot in states like New York, where if Republicans regain control of the State Senate (possible, though perhaps unlikely) or state house (longshot), the map will look very different than if the Democrats control those entities.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »

It matters a lot in states like New York, where if Republicans regain control of the State Senate (possible, though perhaps unlikely) or state house (longshot), the map will look very different than if the Democrats control those entities.

At 108-42 in the state Assembly caucuses, a R takeover would be more than a longshot.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »

It matters a lot in states like New York, where if Republicans regain control of the State Senate (possible, though perhaps unlikely) or state house (longshot), the map will look very different than if the Democrats control those entities.

At 108-42 in the state Assembly caucuses, a R takeover would be more than a longshot.

By state house, I didn't mean the Assembly.  I meant the governor's mansion.  I should have so specified.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »

By state house, I didn't mean the Assembly.  I meant the governor's mansion.  I should have so specified.

Oh, gotcha.  I wonder if the original post means governorships or state legislature control, now that you mention it.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »

Nutmeg, why are you an independent now?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:57:09 PM »

Nutmeg, why are you an independent now?

Always have been.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »

It varies by state.  It obviously doesn't matter at all in small states that only have 1 Congressman  (Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, Vermont [did I miss one]?).   It also doesn't matter in the states that use independent commissions to redistrict.  It matters a lot in states like New York, where if Republicans regain control of the State Senate (possible, though perhaps unlikely) or state house (longshot), the map will look very different than if the Democrats control those entities.

Two district states like Idaho, Hawaii,  Maine, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine probably dont matter either.  There is not much you can do to change those districts. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies