Healthcare industry a monopoly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Healthcare industry a monopoly
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Healthcare industry a monopoly  (Read 1530 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
« edited: March 18, 2010, 09:44:40 AM by HoffmanJohn »

I was just reading a study where the AMA considers health care to be a near monopoly.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »

Well, I'm not surprised. Personally, I think I'd find a completely private system far more agreeable if it was backed by rigorous anti-trust laws. Small business is the lifeblood of capitalism.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

Well, I'm not surprised. Personally, I think I'd find a completely private system far more agreeable if it was backed by rigorous anti-trust laws. Small business is the lifeblood of capitalism.

The problem with healthcare is that demand for it is inelastic and thus under any conditions a just price could never exist.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »

The problem with healthcare is that demand for it is inelastic and thus under any conditions a just price could never exist.

1. Actually, demand for health services is quite elastic.

2. What is this "just price"? This is the first time I hear of smthg like that.

The problem w/ healthcare is asymmetric information. That's the true problem.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:29:18 PM »

I would think it depends on what type of health service you are talking about. If you need an angioplasty or chemotherapy, your demand isn't going to be very elastic now is it?

Going to see a doctor for the nth time due to a fever is very different of course. This is why HSA's should become a larger part of the healthcare system.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »

Yes, but that very frequently involves the death of the person who is providing the elasticity.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »

Yes, but that very frequently involves the death of the person who is providing the elasticity.

Ag: When there is elasticity for necessary procedures, it is usually due to this. Whether you think that is moral, especially in the richest country on earth, is up to you.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »

1. When you make a counter claim you should provide some supporting details, and sources.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »

Well, if you bring in a multi-payer system, the government could set a fair price anyway.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »

Of course it is, but the Senate is being, well, the Senate, and not passing that house bill with overwhelming bipartisan support removing anti-trust exemptions for health insurers.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »

1. When you make a counter claim you should provide some supporting details, and sources.

Go to scholar.google.com and google elasticity demand health services. You will find as many papers as you'd like that that estimate this elasticity as statistically distinct from zero. Not that it matters: elasticity of demand is not the major issue here, unless, of course, there is truly a monopoly in health services provision (in wich case the problem is the monopoly, not the elasticity). Asymmetric information, though, is THE problem.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »

Well, if you bring in a multi-payer system, the government could set a fair price anyway.

No, it couldn't. Because there is no such thing Smiley Pricing at marginal cost is not intrinsically fair - it may be efficient, but it is no more "fair" than anything else.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »

Every human decision without exception leads to death - in the end we all will be up there. But the bulk of healthcare choices are not about immediately life-threatening situations. And even if the issue is life and death, there may be other considerations involved. Especially given the intrinsic asymmetric information between the patient and the doctor: the patient has no way of knowing, whether the procedure is being recommended because it is truly necessary or because, though it is no better than the cheaper alternative, it would result in a higher income for the medical provider. So, even there, the demand might be quite elastic.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »

Go to scholar.google.com and google elasticity demand health services. You will find as many papers as you'd like that that estimate this elasticity as statistically distinct from zero. Not that it matters: elasticity of demand is not the major issue here, unless, of course, there is truly a monopoly in health services provision (in wich case the problem is the monopoly, not the elasticity). Asymmetric information, though, is THE problem.
Yes.. if we were just all fed your opinion on healthcare, we'd have no problems!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »

No.  It's an oligopoly.

In fact (and I'm not using this as THE authoritative source, but it backs up my point), look at the sectin about oligopolies in the U.S. in the Wikipedia article about oligopolies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly#United_States):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »

Yes.. if we were just all fed your opinion on healthcare, we'd have no problems!

Please, read what I say. There are humongous problems w/ healthcare. They are just not the problems that people have been mentioning here. Asymmetric information - not mentioning it in the context of healthcare means not talking about healthcare, period. It's the big fat elephant smack in the middle of your living room. The rest is minor.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »

Either way, with stuff like this, my ideal system would be co-operatives and small health business with public health insurance for those who are basically uninsurable.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 11:12:24 AM »

Either way, with stuff like this, my ideal system would be co-operatives and small health business with public health insurance for those who are basically uninsurable.

I agree. But no individual mandates, especially without proper cost controls.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »

I agree. But no individual mandates, especially without proper cost controls.

Yeah, the individual mandate has to go along with the public option. Or else we are just leaving people at the mercy of the insurance companies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »

Haha, you mean sick people?

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »

Sick people, pensioners.... etc.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »

So why allow a private insurance industry if its just there to soak up the profits and leave all the expense to the government?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »

So why allow a private insurance industry if its just there to soak up the profits and leave all the expense to the government?

It's not there for profits. It's there to insure those who can be insured. Those who can't... who else is meant to take care of them?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 04:27:04 PM »

It's not there for profits. It's there to insure those who can be insured. Those who can't... who else is meant to take care of them?

The point is that there is no good reason to allow a private insurance industry.  Just cover everyone equally by the State.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »

Asymmetric information is the main justification for mandates, as well as for Medicare. These arguments have been hashed out already many times. The patient knows more about their health than the insurance company. In a voluntary insurance market, the pool of participants will be disproportionately unhealthy. This will raise health insurance costs compared to what they would otherwise be. In extreme cases, higher costs in turn will lead more people, again the relatively healthy, to drop out. And so on and so on, until only the "lemons" (the sickest) are left. Then the insurance companies go bankrupt.

This is referred to as the Lemon problem, first articulated by George Akerlof in 1970, and it is Business 101.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies