Stupid Fat Cats screw Miners (again...)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:26:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Stupid Fat Cats screw Miners (again...)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stupid Fat Cats screw Miners (again...)  (Read 1512 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2004, 07:38:52 AM »

The last pit in the Selby Complex (Riccall) has been closed by UKCoal with the loss of 1,700 jobs.
What makes this hurt more than is the fact that almost all the Riccall miners used to work in other pits in Yorkshire that were closed down years ago.

NUM line: "There's 100 million tonnes of untapped coal there, enough for at least 100 years, and we're heading for an energy crisis.

"It's the politics of the madhouse."
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 07:41:49 AM »

Its the politics of environmentalism. I don't care how much ing coal is down there. McDonalds is always recruiting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:56:32 AM »

Its the politics of environmentalism.

Doubt it. The closure of Riccall means that more lignite (worse to the enviroment) will be imported from Eastern Europe.
Or more open-cast pits in the U.K

If UKCoal cared about the enviroment, they'd be opening pits in the Neath area (Anthracite=less damaging to enviroment).

The truely stupid thing about the Riccall closure is the price of coal has soared recently...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 12:21:25 PM »

Doubt it. The closure of Riccall means that more lignite (worse to the enviroment) will be imported from Eastern Europe.

If UKCoal cared about the enviroment, they'd be opening pits in the Neath area (Anthracite=less damaging to enviroment).

The truely stupid thing about the Riccall closure is the price of coal has soared recently...

Well.. if the mine is profitable I'm sure Fat Cats would tend to want to keep it open, and make more money.  If its not profitable, who could keep it open, fat cat or not?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:36:27 PM »

Well.. if the mine is profitable I'm sure Fat Cats would tend to want to keep it open, and make more money.  If its not profitable, who could keep it open, fat cat or not?

The Fat Cats that the Major Government flogged the pits to have the collective IQ of an unusually retarded chicken. That's also dead. With it's head cut off. And still running round the damn farmyard.

When Riccall was earmarked for closure two years ago, the price of coal was low and the pit was making a loss (mostly the fault of the incompetent twats in UKCoal... Tower Colliery (Worker Co-op owned pit in South Wales) has made a profit every year since '95 IIRC. And it's an old pit (first shaft was sunk in the 1880's). The Selby Complex was sunk in the late 1970's. Go figure).

At the moment the price of coal is high as there aren't enough mines in Europe to produce enough Coal for the power stations.
Riccall was starting to make a profit. Had it been left open, it could have made a big profit this year... anyone with half a brain would have kept it open, and maybe even expanded the workforce to get more coal out.

The executives at UKCoal do not possess half a brain between them
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 01:26:24 PM »

No coal is environmentally friendly. I hope the government encourages UK Coal to close the plant - make them maintain wind turbines instead.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

No coal is environmentally friendly. I hope the government encourages UK Coal to close the plant - make them maintain wind turbines instead.

While no fossil fuel is *good* for the enviroment some are a lot worse than others...  the facts are that a high proportion of Power Stations are Coal Fired and they are going to get coal from somewhere. If not from well regulated and relatively enviromentally friendly UK Deep or Drift Mines, they'll get 'em from open cast pits in the UK (they've been springing up a lot recently) or imported coal from Eastern Europe which is mostly lignite (worse for the enviroment and with dodgy safety records etc.)

I'll agree that more turbines should be used. I also think researching a more efficient way of burning coal is needed (only a tiny fraction of the energy in each lump gets used).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies