General Note
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:49:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  General Note
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: General Note  (Read 1286 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:38:27 AM »

I've been around this board for 2½ years (though I'm here a lot less than I used to be). In that span, I've seen countless timelines in which election results are recounted and not much else. The POD is just about always an election or some domestic matter. These timelines are nearly never completed.

The type of timeline described above is boring. Give something interesting. Write a timeline that isn't Amerocentric. Focus on things other than elections and government policy. Just try to keep it away from formula, and people will be more willing to read it, and they'll like it, too. I know I would.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:12:49 AM »

I tried writing something that wasn't entirely American-focused and that covered alot of foreign events in detail outside of just spamming elections. I wrote about 20 years worth, but I've stalled out for a long time now. I love the topic, and of course, the POD was a different election, but I worked super super hard to do a detailed job of it. (Though the beginning is a little more scarce on detail and actually has a blatant error I missed when I started writing it like two years ago.)

I don't really know what you want from an alternative elections board though. You want a timeline that isn't changed from an election, on an elections what if board, that isn't American-centric, when this is a board primarily populated by Americans. You're welcome to glance at what I wrote awhile back, but, I doubt you'd like it much given that strict criteria to work within.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:18:18 AM »

The point is, a Marokai said, that Atlas forum is American-centered. Just see how much less popular International what-if board is in contrast to election w-i child boards.

Also, see U.S.-centered Alternate universes, like Americana, 1992, 2008. They are all fine. But what happened to Atlasia Antilia and Gulf Universe, for example?

That's sad, but true.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

Yeah, Marokai, I read yours, and I liked it. Obviously, I don't want all TLs to be like that, but it would be nice to have something. There's not too much on this board for which I wait for updates.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »

I'd like to think my Forrest Fire TL is a bit different from what you described.  While it is Amerocrentric and does focus on the elections, it does have a different POD than usual and does touch on what else is happening in the world.  Still, I think I will make a point of covering the rest of the world in my next update.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »

While I'd like to think my timeline different, I'm probably just deluding myself. Xahar makes an excellent point.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

As the writer of two (somewhat) successful timelines that are Amerocentric and based on elections, I don't think the premise is the problem; it's the talent level.  People don't know how to write good timelines, and that is the major problem.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »

As the writer of two (somewhat) successful timelines that are Amerocentric and based on elections, I don't think the premise is the problem; it's the talent level.  People don't know how to write good timelines, and that is the major problem.

True. Oftentimes, very unrealistic things occur with no reason, or the POD is really weak. Sometimes, a timeline starts with no reason for how the diverge in histiry occurred.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »

There are a few issues that I have noticed in my own as well as other's writing

1-Bad POD. Essentially this is a POD which isn't interesting. To have a good POD I believe that there must be an immediate impact. This can very between something such as someone not dying (RFK/JFK) or someone choosing not to run for President. The key here is that an election is not a POD. An election can be the result of a POD but it is not one within of itself.

2-Bad writing. A bad POD can be made up for by good writing. I like to think that my Mario Cuomo TL was good even though it lacked a dynamic POD. At the same time, bad writing can bring down a good POD.

3-Feed the Fans! Write not just for yourself but for others. Consider electing someone President who the boards love, so that your fans will be more engaged and interested.

4-Perhaps most importantly, keep it reasonable. I'm looking at you Garrison!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

I like to think that my Brazil timeline, which is intermittently updated, fits in rather well with what Xahar wants (even though elections still play a big role, but an election isn't the POD).

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 04:05:25 AM »

I like to think that my Brazil timeline, which is intermittently updated, fits in rather well with what Xahar wants (even though elections still play a big role, but an election isn't the POD).

That's also true for your Ségolène for President timeline. BTW, when will you update it ? Wink
James Rivington
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 3.43

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:43:24 AM »

When are you planning of starting back up your American Parliament piece Xahar?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies