Kerry/ McCain 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kerry/ McCain 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry/ McCain 2004  (Read 3573 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »

This is from Politics 1…

KERRY-McCAIN 2004? A few weeks ago, we mentioned the idea that US Senator John McCain would be an intriguing VP runningmate choice for John Kerry. Of course, the problems with this option are that McCain is a Republican and has already endorsed Bush. Then again, McCain and Kerry are both decorated Vietnam vets and McCain really seems to dislike Bush (note: despite endorsing ush for foreign policy reasons, McCain constantly trashes Bush as fiscally irresponsible). Last week, McCain said he wouldn't be considered because he is pro-life and a free-trader -- but he didn't explicitly say "no" to the idea. A McCain staffer soon clarified that McCain plans to stay a Republican. On Wednesday, McCain seemed to reopen the door again to running on the Democratic ticket with Kerry. "John Kerry is a close friend of mine ... Obviously I would entertain it ... But I see no scenario where that would happen," said McCain on Good Morning America. Again note: McCain's answer again wasn't a "no."

Ok, ok I realise this is highly unlikely and at best this is probably a lot of hype about nothing that the “taking heads” on the net works have decided to float to boost ratings… but just ignore that for a moment and think how cool a Kerry/ McCain ticket would be!... I say this as a Dem who voted for Gore in 2000 but would probably have voted for McCain had he been the GOP nominee …but any thoughts about this?      
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 08:32:39 AM »

Kerry-McCain.  Hmmm.  Could you possibly find two bigger egos anywhere on the planet?

That was a funny statement yesterday coming from a guy who is supposed to be co chairman of the Bush campaign in Arizona.  With John McCain it's always about John McCain.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 09:56:55 AM »

Kerry-McCain.  Hmmm.  Could you possibly find two bigger egos anywhere on the planet?
Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 10:53:57 AM »

or maybe Al Franken and Michael Moore.

The most dangerous place on the planet would be the area between McCain and a microphone.... any microphone...anywhere...anytime
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 11:04:09 AM »

This will never happen.  There would be a Bush/McCain 04, long before there would be a Kerry McCain 04.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 12:20:34 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2004, 12:21:01 PM by Ben »

Let this "Blue Dog" dream....
zachman

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 05:01:17 PM »

Why does everyone think McCain has anger problems? He is a perfectly nice and concerned guy.

If McCain does bash Kerry its over, if he doen't its pretty likely.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 09:10:27 PM »

How about Giuliani/McCain 2008 or McCain/Giuliani?
zachman

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 09:16:02 PM »

Giuliani is getting pretty old though. In 2016 he will be 72.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 10:24:44 PM »

This is from Politics 1…

KERRY-McCAIN 2004? A few weeks ago, we mentioned the idea that US Senator John McCain would be an intriguing VP runningmate choice for John Kerry. Of course, the problems with this option are that McCain is a Republican and has already endorsed Bush. Then again, McCain and Kerry are both decorated Vietnam vets and McCain really seems to dislike Bush (note: despite endorsing ush for foreign policy reasons, McCain constantly trashes Bush as fiscally irresponsible). Last week, McCain said he wouldn't be considered because he is pro-life and a free-trader -- but he didn't explicitly say "no" to the idea. A McCain staffer soon clarified that McCain plans to stay a Republican. On Wednesday, McCain seemed to reopen the door again to running on the Democratic ticket with Kerry. "John Kerry is a close friend of mine ... Obviously I would entertain it ... But I see no scenario where that would happen," said McCain on Good Morning America. Again note: McCain's answer again wasn't a "no."

Ok, ok I realise this is highly unlikely and at best this is probably a lot of hype about nothing that the “taking heads” on the net works have decided to float to boost ratings… but just ignore that for a moment and think how cool a Kerry/ McCain ticket would be!... I say this as a Dem who voted for Gore in 2000 but would probably have voted for McCain had he been the GOP nominee …but any thoughts about this?      

I dunno Ben.  Tough one.  A McCain-Kerry ticket is a winner, but Kerry-McCain...

Just so you know, "But I see no scenario where that would happen," is Yuppie Orwellian Newspeak for "Hell no!"

Now, I gather you're more on the right wing of the DNC, whereas I'm way out there on the left wing of the RNC.  Fair enough?  As a pure theoretical construct, the K/M ticket is worth considering.  But, let's consider the problems with that:

First, Democrats would feel betrayed.  Screw you I'll vote for Ralph.

Second, Republicans would feel betrayed.  (but republicans usually get over that sort of thing a little easier.)

Third, and this is key, and has been stated by Supersoulty, If McCain was (even theoretically) interested in being VP, he would be Bush's VP, not Kerry's.

But most importantly, McCain is a loyal Republican.  Loyal Republicans don't sleep with Democrats.  Know what I mean?  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 10:34:23 PM »

To Clarify:

All the Republicans over at BJU think McCain's a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing.  n'est-ce pas, mon ami?  In other words, he's a "Liberal Republican" okay.  Very pejorative label, I think.  So of course he's angry all the time.  But he does love his country.  And he's an honest and honorable man.  At least the way I see it.  But given Kerry's record of voting in favor of Defense budget cuts, the only reason he'd want McCain would be to win.  Not because they see eye-to-eye.  Balancing out the ticket ideologically is one thing, and I'd advise Kerry to do just that, but picking a running mate who is your total opposite sort of defeats the purpose of trying to defeat Bush.  Wouldn't you agree?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 06:15:20 AM »

Churchill, Reagan...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »

If McCain were to go on the ticket with Kerry, it would indicate that his ego and desire for revenge had overtaken his idea of what was good for the country.

I admired his behavior greatly when he visited Vietnam in 2000.  He said flat out while in Vietnam that the wrong side one, and when asked if he was concerned about the Vietnamese government's reaction to his comment, he simply answered that he didn't care what their reaction was.

I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary, and I still like him in a way, but I no longer really trust him.  He is such a maverick that nobody could ever know how he would really act if he ever got into office.  The fact that so many liberal Dean supporters like him gives me great reservations about him at this point.

zachman

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 10:31:55 PM »

McCain is like Jekyll and Hyde to me. When he is a maverick, and is thinking about what would be best for America he is like Jekyll. When he breaks character and says Bush is doing a fine job he is Hyde, his hypocrisy on this has mademe anry at him. But he can still redeem himself...
zachman

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 11:27:23 PM »

I can see that McCain is not really wholeheartedly behind Bush, and is only reading off his lines from the RNC. I do not see how McCain could have much respect for Bush, particularly a Bush campaign.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 11:27:27 PM »

bill'n'hill.

zachman, McCain does come off as a little schizophrenic, doesn't he.  But then, I'll call bush a big spending liberal in one breath, then say he's a great commander-in-chief in the next.  It's not uncommon for people to be able to see the advantages and disadvantages in a situation.  McCain's biggest problem, in my opinion, is his religious zeal for campaign finance reform.

Andrew Sullivan is still pining for a Kerry-McCain ticket:

http://www.andrewsullivan.com/

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 11:35:42 PM »

In generally, I would warn Kerry against choose a running mate who is too conservative (Bayh, Breaux), but for McCain, I would make an exception, if Kerry could get him.

A Kerry-MCCain ticket would win in a landslide, and could create real political realignment in this country.  Kerry and McCain would at least be united on the campaign's most important issues, since unlike Bayh and Breaux, McCain voted against Bush's recent tax cuts.
zachman

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 11:39:11 PM »

I think Kerry/McCain would definitely win, but it still wouldn't be a landslide. McCain causes too much contrast, and is not a good complement to Kerry, but is still a nightmare to Bush non-the-less.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2004, 06:30:19 PM »

So. If anything, he will leave after his first term at 68, or his second at 72. Reagan was not even in his second term at 72.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2004, 06:45:44 PM »

I can see that McCain is not really wholeheartedly behind Bush, and is only reading off his lines from the RNC. I do not see how McCain could have much respect for Bush, particularly a Bush campaign.

I don't have much respect for McCain.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 10:09:53 AM »

Again, I think McCain would take the VP slot if Kerry offered it to him, but, I don't think Kerry will offer it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2004, 10:11:19 AM »

zachman

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2004, 12:55:11 PM »

McCain would kill Bush on responsible national defense.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2004, 01:01:13 PM »

McCain would kill Bush on responsible national defense.

He would kill Bush on almost anything.
zachman

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2004, 01:02:51 PM »

That would fill Kerry's defense misperception.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies