The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:14:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 301925 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: January 09, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »

Has this sh**t officially passed yet?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2226 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Has this sh**t officially passed yet?
I was hoping our third legislator would drop by.  But sure, bill passed.

Now, I'll go introduce the amendments (which I still don't understand why they had to be slapped on immediately after rather than going with the first draft but whatever).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2227 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »

Budget Amendment

The budget surplus shall be divided and return to every citizen as a tax rebate
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2228 on: January 09, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »

the following is up to a vote (with Taft's approval?  We really ought to just eliminate the viceroy and make it a five seat legislature).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Clarence suggested we redistribute the surplus via a tax rebate.  I have to ask, do you mean last last budget's surplus or this year's projected surplus?  Regardless, I think it is good fiscal policy to keep some of the surplus on the books, in case we were to run into fiscal trouble down the road.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2229 on: January 09, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »

Seemed by the numbers that we already haev a hell of a rainy day fund so I see no problem with giving all of last year's surplus to the people as a stimulus
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2230 on: January 10, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »

The big reason that I didn't want to just reflect the changes in the budget was because it would make it difficult to ascertain what exactly was changed down the road. Having a separate bill should make it easier to follow.

BTW, the social security tax is $20.1 billion. The surplus is only about $17.7 billion. If the Legislature wants to pass these tax cuts, I strongly suggest passing complementary spending cuts.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2231 on: January 10, 2012, 01:39:31 AM »

My amendment deals with last years surplus...is that what you are referenceing with the 17 billion?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2232 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:00 AM »

My amendment deals with last years surplus...is that what you are referenceing with the 17 billion?

I was talking about this year's budget that was just passed. That reminds me...

On the 2012 IDS Budget Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #2233 on: January 11, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »

Sorry, was too busy. Late aye.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2234 on: January 11, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »

Since my amendment deals with last year's surplus, this year's is not affected
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2235 on: January 11, 2012, 08:53:10 PM »

Since my amendment deals with last year's surplus, this year's is not affected
In that case it should be a bill of its own, rather than an amendment.  We can debate it after we finish the 2012 budget.

Regarding the Social Security Taxes, they should be abolished on principle because the money is going nowhere (as there is no regional social security).  If it leaves us with a deficit, so be it.  Now, does anybody have any accompanying spending cuts (or other tax increases) they would like to see?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2236 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »

I do not know if i agree with the "so be it" about a deficit... I propose we cut spending across the board to make up for the loss of revenue
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2237 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »

I do not know if i agree with the "so be it" about a deficit... I propose we cut spending across the board to make up for the loss of revenue
Or we could cut unnecessary and wasteful budget items, while leaving beneficial programs intact.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2238 on: January 11, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »

What would you consider wasteful? I am sure I will agree with you
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2239 on: January 11, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »

FTR, the proposed cuts would necessitate $11 billion in spending cuts.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2240 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

Leaving the gas tax as is would only necessitate around $3.6 billion.

Clarence, I'm thinking that we should merge and cut the "defense" and "protection" categories.  What say you? Link for reference

PiT, is the $6.6 billion in interest counted in the balance?  Because, barring clarification from the GM, it should not be (and that would let us keep our surplus too).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2241 on: January 11, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »

Clarence, I'm thinking that we should merge and cut the "defense" and "protection" categories.  What say you? Link for reference

PiT, is the $6.6 billion in interest counted in the balance?  Because, barring clarification from the GM, it should not be (and that would let us keep our surplus too).

Yelnoc or PiT- what is the difference between Protection and Defense spending? I would oppose cutting defense
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2242 on: January 12, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »

Yelnoc or PiT- what is the difference between Protection and Defense spending? I would oppose cutting defense
One of them is the militia.  The other is protection, whatever that means.  Regardless, I don't know what we need a large para military force for unless we want to try and secede for a third (or would it be fourth?) time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2243 on: January 12, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »

The interest is counted. If we decide that it shouldn't be counted, then we could eliminate the Social Security Tax without incident.

I assume "Protection" refers to the police. Given that we have taken authority over the affairs of the state governments, we would also have authority over the various state police forces.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2244 on: January 12, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »

The interest is counted. If we decide that it shouldn't be counted, then we could eliminate the Social Security Tax without incident.

I assume "Protection" refers to the police. Given that we have taken authority over the affairs of the state governments, we would also have authority over the various state police forces.

There is a note besides the interest category within the bill itself which hints that paying our interest is the response of the federal government.  Hey, down the line sometime, we should pass a bill outlining the process of obtaining a loan.  I have some ideas, but I will leave them for later.  Anyway, let's bring Tmth or Shua (or both) in on this.

And if protection refers to police, which makes sense, I don't think we should cut it.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2245 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »

In that case I would oppose cuts to defense or protection and propose instead the following cuts-

General government- 2 billion
Welfare- 2 billion
Pensions- 2 billion
Transportation- 5 billion
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2246 on: January 12, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »

In that case I would oppose cuts to defense or protection and propose instead the following cuts-

General government- 2 billion
Welfare- 2 billion
Pensions- 2 billion
Transportation- 5 billion
We only need $3.6 in cuts to balance getting rid of the (false) social security tax.  Allowing the federal government to assume our interest would leave us with a surplus of roughly $3 billion, making other cuts unnecessary.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2247 on: January 12, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »

In that case I propose General government 2 billion dollar cut and Transportation 5 billion dollar....better to cut too much then too little
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2248 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »

In that case I propose General government 2 billion dollar cut and Transportation 5 billion dollar....better to cut too much then too little
But what is the transportation cutting?  And the General Government?  Are we going to have to bring back gas lights?  Shut down MARTA?  Let's think before swinging around our hatchets.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2249 on: January 12, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »

But what is the transportation cutting?  And the General Government?  Are we going to have to bring back gas lights?  Shut down MARTA?  Let's think before swinging around our hatchets.

I propose leaving it to the regional Secretary of Transporation...I don't think any specific allocations in the budget, so I say we give them less and see what they think it invaluable enough to cut
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies