Rep Trent Franks: Blacks Were Better Off Under Slavery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 11:14:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep Trent Franks: Blacks Were Better Off Under Slavery
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep Trent Franks: Blacks Were Better Off Under Slavery  (Read 549 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »
« edited: February 27, 2010, 11:57:52 AM by Lunar »

I like Ta-Nehisi Coates' approach here.  This isn't just a "gotcha" thread fwiw .   He's called the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision "the greatest holocaust in the history of mankind," and's accused a prominent Muslim advocacy group of "trying to infiltrate the offices of members of Congress by placing interns in the offices."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/02/the-gop-pitch-for-black-votes/36764/

Here's Congressmen Trent Franks giving an unsolicited lecture on the importance of Black History Month:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think the most charitable interpretation holds that Franks isn't endorsing slavery, as much as he's....F- it, I've got nothing. This is just stupid on all conceivable levels.

I think there will be some amount of indignity, and offense-taking over this comment, and that's understandable. But when I read this, as when i read many conservative politicians, speak on African-Americans, I just feel sorry for them. Before you explain to someone that a "policy" built on selling children, government-sanctioned torture, and forced labor is worse than any policy in place to day, you should come to terms with the fact that your breaths are limited, and your days numbered. You have to budget your outrage.

That is the statement of an intellectual child, of someone whose never ventured beyond their hometown. It's what happens when you decide that you're fine as the party of white people, and your corner of the world is enough. This is what happens when your knowledge is capped, and  your ignorance is boundless.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »

This is just the everyday insanity of the radical "pro-life"ys, applied to a different subject for once.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »

This is one of the stupidest comments I ever heard.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »

Current policies have hurt them, but I don't see blacks being whipped to work to death.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »

When I first joined the forum, i'd probably have been shocked by something like this. These days, it doesn't surprise me much.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies