Should abortion be banned if an artificial womb is created and commercialized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:59:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should abortion be banned if an artificial womb is created and commercialized?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Should abortion be banned if an artificial womb is created and commercialized?  (Read 2853 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »

Yes.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »

Abortion should be banned, period.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »

Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »

Your Huxleyian fantasy has no relevance to the issue of abortion, which is about privacy. 
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2010, 02:07:14 PM by useful idiot »

This

Plus, how would that work? Wouldn't the child need to be created in that artificial womb, and therefore it would be already be wanted? Or would there be a procedure to take the baby out of the mother early and then put it in this artificial womb? That sounds crazy...
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
James Rivington
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 3.43

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »

You guys are such a riot. Ha Ha Ha
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »

Smiley
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »

No.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »

The amount of otherwise sane people who are pro-lifers is quite disturbing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 01:45:27 AM »

Your Huxleyian fantasy has no relevance to the issue of abortion, which is about privacy. 

Shockingly (or not) I agree with opebo here, though privacy is not the exact term I would use.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »

No.  Didn't we have a similar thread not too long ago?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:49:01 AM »

Yes, but if liberals' main support towards abortion comes from the fact that women are allegedly entitled to kick babies out of their bodies, and if it is possible to place the baby into an artifical womb (immediately) after it has been removed from the woman's body, I don't see how that is a matter of privacy since the woman got what she wanted with her body and now the baby would either die or be placed in an artificial womb. Women would still be able to remove babies from their bodies if this scenario ever became true, it's just that the babies won't be able to be allowed to die since there would be a way to save their lives.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:05 AM »

Sane people are always pro-life.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:30 AM »

This

Plus, how would that work? Wouldn't the child need to be created in that artificial womb, and therefore it would be already be wanted? Or would there be a procedure to take the baby out of the mother early and then put it in this artificial womb? That sounds crazy...

Both of these options are possibilities, but I think that the second option would become the most used one if an artificial womb is ever created and commercialized. It might sound crazy, but the idea of the Internet sounded crazy in 1910, which shows that what was once thought to be impossible or very unlikely could be possible in the future.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »

Sane people are always pro-life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 01:55:04 AM »

Yes, but if liberals' main support towards abortion comes from the fact that women are allegedly entitled to kick babies out of their bodies, and if it is possible to place the baby into an artifical womb (immediately) after it has been removed from the woman's body, I don't see how that is a matter of privacy since the woman got what she wanted with her body and now the baby would either die or be placed in an artificial womb. Women would still be able to remove babies from their bodies if this scenario ever became true, it's just that the babies won't be able to be allowed to die since there would be a way to save their lives.

The abortion movement already supports partial-birth abortion legalization, where the baby might be able to survive outside the womb but is killed anyway. This would hardly make any difference in the debate...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »

The abortion movement already supports partial-birth abortion legalization, where the baby might be able to survive outside the womb but is killed anyway. This would hardly make any difference in the debate...

Aren't most Americans against partial birth abortion, though? I think I saw some polls that stated that between 60 and 70% of Americans oppose abortions in the third trimester (I'm assuming this is the definition of partial-birth abortion), so I think even many pro-choicers are opposed to partial-birth abortion (and I think the country is split roughly 50-50 on the abortion issue). Besides, if an artificial womb is created, liberals are going to look like hypocrites if they say that they are protecting those who cannot protect themselves (the middle class, minorities, etc.) if they're going to say that they will not protect innocent babies even though they are able to without infringing on women's rights.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 02:23:13 AM »

If the doctor wishes to remove the fetus & stick it in an artificial womb then that is fine, but the relevant facts should remain largely unchanged from the woman's perspective, except having the option of keeping the fetus or putting it up for adoption.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »

Aren't most Americans against partial birth abortion, though? I think I saw some polls that stated that between 60 and 70% of Americans oppose abortions in the third trimester (I'm assuming this is the definition of partial-birth abortion), so I think even many pro-choicers are opposed to partial-birth abortion (and I think the country is split roughly 50-50 on the abortion issue). Besides, if an artificial womb is created, liberals are going to look like hypocrites if they say that they are protecting those who cannot protect themselves (the middle class, minorities, etc.) if they're going to say that they will not protect innocent babies even though they are able to without infringing on women's rights.

// Besides, if an artificial womb is created, liberals are going to look like hypocrites if they say that they are protecting those who cannot protect themselves//
Straw man argument,but what if these artificial wombs are simply used inside the mother?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »

No, there are already too many restrictions on abortion.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »

// Besides, if an artificial womb is created, liberals are going to look like hypocrites if they say that they are protecting those who cannot protect themselves//
Straw man argument,but what if these artificial wombs are simply used inside the mother?

If the artificial wombs would be used inside the mother, that would not make them artificial.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »

Yes, but if liberals' main support towards abortion comes from the fact that women are allegedly entitled to kick babies out of their bodies...

Technically they support killing the baby inside the womb and removing the dead body. I still haven't see a defense for killing the child before removing him / her.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »

Yes, but if liberals' main support towards abortion comes from the fact that women are allegedly entitled to kick babies out of their bodies...

Technically they support killing the baby inside the womb and removing the dead body. I still haven't see a defense for killing the child before removing him / her.

Well, the theory is that the fate of the fetus is of much lesser importance than the concern of removing it from the woman's body. I suppose apathy isn't much of a defense, though. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies