Who would Star Trek characters vote for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:03:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who would Star Trek characters vote for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would Star Trek characters vote for?  (Read 1441 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2004, 09:38:09 PM »

Any ideas for any character, minor or major, on any series?
A few:
Kirk--Bush
Picard--Kerry
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 09:59:29 PM »

Bush supporters: Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Chekov (TOS); Riker, Worf, Yar (TNG); Sisko, Kira, Dax, O'Brian, Garak, Odo, Quark (DS9); Chakotay, Seven, Tuvok, Paris (VOY).

Kerry supporters: Spock, Sulu, Uhura (TOS); Picard, Troi, Crusher, Data, LaForge, Guinan (TNG); Bashir (DS9); Janeway, Kim, The Doctor, Kes (VOY).

I'm not familiar enough with the newest series to make any judgements on it, but they're all kind of "cowboy-ish" characters.

If it were up to the Trek characters, I'd guess the final tally would be Bush: 18, Kerry: 14.  DS9 is certainly the most "conservative" series of the whole bunch.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 10:32:29 PM »

Picard would be voting for Lionel Jospin.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 10:40:41 PM »

Quark would vote Badnarik
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 10:45:35 PM »

Ya know, I tried to keep it to the two major candidates to make it a bit easier.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 10:49:03 PM »

Quark would not waste his vote on a candidate who will not win. 
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 11:31:43 PM »

Bush supporters: Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Chekov (TOS); Riker, Worf, Yar (TNG); Sisko, Kira, Dax, O'Brian, Garak, Odo, Quark (DS9); Chakotay, Seven, Tuvok, Paris (VOY).

Kerry supporters: Spock, Sulu, Uhura (TOS); Picard, Troi, Crusher, Data, LaForge, Guinan (TNG); Bashir (DS9); Janeway, Kim, The Doctor, Kes (VOY).

I'm not familiar enough with the newest series to make any judgements on it, but they're all kind of "cowboy-ish" characters.

If it were up to the Trek characters, I'd guess the final tally would be Bush: 18, Kerry: 14.  DS9 is certainly the most "conservative" series of the whole bunch.

I agree with the majority of that, as far as series go.  VOY or TNG take the cake for liberalism.  I don't know which, but VOY was certainly more "politically correct."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 12:59:29 AM »

Quark would vote for whoever paid him the most.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 04:10:29 AM »

Quark would vote for whoever paid him the most.

Nope.  He would vote for whoever was most beneficial to him in the long term and had the best chance of winning.  Badnarik fails the second part of the test.  Bush passes both.

While he would certainly take a bribe, likely some illegal drug from a local supporter of Kerry, he would not follow through thanks to the wonders of secret balloting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 04:24:50 AM »

Picard would be voting for Lionel Jospin.

In real life, Patrick Stewart is a big Labour Party doner
cwelsch

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 04:55:04 AM »

The Borg would vote Democratic. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 04:55:46 AM »

Dorks.  Smiley
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 08:11:15 AM »

Now here's a topic! Prediction at the bottom. Smiley My thoughts on the shows, first.

DS9 was "with the times" - economically conservative but very liberal socially; the most socially liberal ST show.

VOY was very right wing - Janeway was always blasting her way out of pretty much every situation, they "Americanized" the Hirogen with transporter technology, ignored the Prime Directive when it suited them, defeated the Borg pretty much on their own, the Delta quadrant is full of b*tches and bastards, Janeway was quick to end negotiations and start shooting - a very hawkish show and quite economically conservative, more so than DS9. As far as social issues went, the show was basically without lectures (the only Trek to be basically without lectures). Yes, it made statements on occasion and the statement that women can lead, but I hardly call that radical or even PC. Janeway freqently relied on Chakotay for her emotional support. The doctor and some others teaching Seven "how to be a lady." Mulgrew's boyfriend married a woman with whom he "worked." Since when do people work in the 24th century? as TNG established, they lied around in the grass looking up at the clouds. I think with STV we're on the right side of the spectrum, and that's one reason why Mulgrew hated the show.

TNG - liberal tech-based commune militarized. These are serious borderline space hippies, folks, not the funny, dope smoking kind. Technology has replaced the need to work, so we're all philosophers now. Roddenberry had a unique utopian vision of man. People would be pillaging and going crazy if they didn't have to do anything, come on.

TOS - well, TOS is just awesome. Different times.

That said, VOY cast would mostly vote Bush with some Kerry; DS9 would be divided and heated and would be a mix of Bush and Kerry, a 48-48 tie, but Garak/Quark would rig the machines for Bush - and Odo would catch them, then a lawsuit, then odo would have a memory lapse about a rigged elction during the occupation...; TNG would all vote Kerry or Nader, and TOS would be lean Bush but would have the highest numbers of undecideds with the exception of Spock, who would not vote for any candidate not grounded in logic!

Hmm. How this show has impacted our culture.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 07:22:37 PM »

I'm surprised that everyone isn't saying that Spock and Data would vote for their candidate; since they were always logical, I would assume that almost everyone here would think they would be on their own side.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies