Discover Card is KILLING ME!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:46:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Discover Card is KILLING ME!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Discover Card is KILLING ME!!!  (Read 4278 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
« edited: February 19, 2010, 10:19:35 AM by jmfcst »

my wife and I use plastic for just about everything and only use about $200 in cash a month...so that means we are putting between 7-10k on our Discover Card each month, even when we don't make any large purchases.  We pay it off each month and pocket the 1% refund (which is NOT taxable, by the way).

But due to the economy, our credit limit has been reduced to 15k and we've gone over our limit in the last couple of months and our credit card has been declined.  So I've had to call and make additional payments mid-month to keep us from going over, which is really a pain because it changes how my funds are automatically distributed each month through my banking accounts.

But I have a couple of large purchases coming up (new telescope mount, new computer), so I called Disover today and ask for a credit increase, citing the fact that I had the account since 2001 and have paid off my balance each month

NO DICE - Discover didn't even review my account and said that due to the economy their current policy is not to increase any credit limits for those already having a credit limit of at least 12.5k - no exceptions.

Just goes to show how consumers, even those with good credit, are constrained in this environment.  And my only other credit card is for my business expenses and I would only use that for nonbusiness purposes for emergencies, because it screws up my tax accounting.  (I do not use debit cards because I want a layer of protection between my bank account and my plastic)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

Protip: Practice what you preach. Stop using credit cards.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

I see that your stupidity is continuing to increase.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:21:18 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

But it's terribly hard for it to keep up with the rate of your debt.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

and I see your lack of reading comprehension is also continuing to increase.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

Why do you feel the need to own a credit card in the first place, let alone use it? If you need to make transactions on-line, get a Paypal account or a debit card. I have never, do not, and will never own a credit card, and even if that means I can't be an expert consumer, I'll happily do without.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

Why do you feel the need to own a credit card in the first place, let alone use it? If you need to make transactions on-line, get a Paypal account or a debit card. I have never, do not, and will never own a credit card, and even if that means I can't be an expert consumer, I'll happily do without.

because I make at least $1000.00 per year of tax free income (which is equivalent to me making $1700.00 of taxable income) off my credit card...Because using a credit card is safer than cash...Because it insulates my banking account...Because it provides me leverage against the lender in disputes, which I would not have if I paid using cash or a debit card...Because it allows me to continue to draw interest off my own money instead of paying up front in cash...Because it supports my credit rating...And even my paypal account is tied to my credit card (which I'm sure is quite aggravating to paypal)...

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »

...Because it provides a good record of purchases for tax purposes
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »

Why am I not surprised?

because I make at least $1000.00 per year of tax free income (which is equivalent to me making $1700.00 of taxable income) off my credit card...Because using a credit card is safer than cash...Because it insulates my banking account...Because it provides me leverage against the lender in disputes, which I would not have if I paid using cash or a debit card...Because it allows me to continue to draw interest off my own money instead of paying up front in cash...Because it supports my credit rating...And even my paypal account is tied to my credit card (which I'm sure is quite aggravating to paypal)...

In other words, you want to bilk the companies out of money. Niiiiiice.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »

Just face it, you'll find little sympathy here with your credit card expenses between $96,000 and $120,000.   

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »

accepting credit card rewards is "bilking companies out of money"?  P.S. we also clip coupons and plan a lot of our purchases to coincide with upcoming sales, so I have multiple ways of "bilking companies out of money"!!!

[note to self: do not use the show button anymore, just trust your initial judgment in placing someone on ignore.]
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:53:01 AM »

accepting credit card rewards is "bilking companies out of money"?  P.S. we also clip coupons and plan a lot of our purchases to coincide with upcoming sales, so I have multiple ways of "bilking companies out of money"!!!

[note to self: do not use the show button anymore, just trust your initial judgment in placing someone on ignore.]

Yes, it is, though not one entirely unintended on their part: the credit card companies expect rubes like yourself to attempt to do it, so that they can hammer you in the future.

"And Jesus said, 'Thou shalt live beyond thy means.'"
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »

Just face it, you'll find little sympathy here with your credit card expenses between $96,000 and $120,000.   

who's looking for sympathy....simply giving a first hand example of how consumer spending is being squeeze by credit constraints.  Also, by forcing consumer with good credit to pay in cash, it hinders  cash flows into investments.  

Someone might have to pay for a car with cash, instead of having access to a car loan and using their cash flow for investing - though it is just hypothetical since I'm not in the market for a new car...or, someone might even forego buying a new car if credit is not available instead of interrupting their monthly cash flow into their investment account....or, in the worse case, lack of available credit could keep someone from starting a new business

trust me, it is hindering economic growth potential, which is what this thread is about
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »

Yes, it is, though not one entirely unintended on their part: the credit card companies expect rubes like yourself to attempt to do it, so that they can hammer you in the future.

Umm, Einzige....I don't defend jmfcst often....but how is he living beyond his means if he pays the full amount he owes every month?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »

Umm, Einzige....I don't defend jmfcst often....but how is he living beyond his means if he pays the full amount he owes every month?

By deferring payment until he has the money for it. It may not be a severe case of it, but it's nevertheless dishonest on a fundamental level and tends to be a gateway to personal irresponsibility.

As you can plainly see, I hate credit cards.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »

homer, why do you make such statement without knowledge of the individual?  I haven't had credit card debt since July 1994 (3 months after I was married) and even before that the most I ever had was 5k of credit card debt.  And since then I have made far more off of credit cards than the interest I paid.

yes, I gladly accept offers from rebates, coupons, defferred payments with no interest, sales, etc...it's simply part of being a wise consumer and a good manager of money
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »

homer, why do you make such statement without knowledge of the individual?  I haven't had credit card debt since July 1994 (3 months after I was married) and even before that the most I ever had was 5k of credit card debt.  And since then I have made far more off of credit cards than the interest I paid.

Doesn't matter. The fact alone that you're reliant on credit cards for major purchases denotes two things to me:

1. That you shouldn't be making those purchases, and

2. That you are attempting to live beyond your immediate means.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »

Doesn't matter. The fact alone that you're reliant on credit cards for major purchases denotes two things to me:

again, you have no idea of my situation.  I'm simply attempting to pay the lowest price and to defer payment so that I can keep my money working for me (earning interest, etc) as long as possible before paying the bill.  I have more than adequate means to pay up front, and could survive for years on my savings alone, but I simply choose not to liquidate CDs, stocks, etc.

If you had taken the time to read the initial post, and if you were reasonable and understood anything about money, you'd see that this is not about gong into debt; rather it is about how the restriction of credit is forcing diversion of cash flow in consumers with good credit.  And if the lack of credit is forcing diversions in cash flow, then it is certainly hurting economic growth because businesses, even those with strong balance sheets, are having to forego investments in order to divert cash to meet their daily business activities....which is one of the reasons why businesses are sitting on trillions of dollars in cash and not expanding and hiring.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

again, you have no idea of my situation.  I'm simply attempting to pay the lowest price and to defer payment so that I can keep my money working for me (earning interest, etc) as long as possible before paying the bill.  I have more than adequate means to pay up front, and could survive for years on my savings alone, but I simply choose not to liquidate CDs, stocks, etc.

If you had taken the time to read the initial post, and if you were reasonable and understood anything about money, you'd see that this is not about gong into debt; rather it is about how the restriction of credit is forcing diversion of cash flow in consumers with good credit.  And if the lack of credit is forcing diversions in cash flow, then it is certainly hurting economic growth because businesses, even those with strong balance sheets, are having to forego investments in order to divert cash to meet their daily business activities....which is one of the reasons why businesses are sitting on trillions of dollars in cash and not expanding and hiring.

Again, I don't care. If you rely on credit cards for major purchases, then you ought to expect to get dicked over. That applies to anyone.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »

Again, I don't care. If you rely on credit cards for major purchases, then you ought to expect to get dicked over. That applies to anyone.

considering Discover Card is a legal source of free tax-free money for me and my family, I don't exactly see it that way, in fact, I've probably made at least $20k of tax free income off of credit cards over the last 20 years  (i really make a killing when clients send me on business trips and I get to charge reimbursable expenses on my own credit card - I get the full amount of the expense back from the client, and I pocket the tax free cash reward from Discover). 

In any case, your inability to recognize wise uses of credit has missed the point that the shrinkage of credit available to financially sound consumers is a microcosm of what is going on in the larger economy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »

I hope no one other than Einzige has missed the point of this thread - jmfcst wanted to brag.  And now he has, and we have listened.

Good for you, jmfcst, for the high income.  Kudos, enjoy it.. or at any rate what ever passes for 'enjoy' in your case.  You are very right to value your social position and its material reward, and to remind others of their inferior position.  This is good old fashioned simian behavior, and nothing the rest of us have any basis to question. 

I present my submission to you in (symbolic) kind:

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »

I hope no one other than Einzige has missed the point of this thread - jmfcst wanted to brag.  And now he has, and we have listened.

Good for you, jmfcst, for the high income.  Kudos, enjoy it.. or at any rate what ever passes for 'enjoy' in your case.  You are very right to value your social position and its material reward, and to remind others of their inferior position.  This is good old fashioned simian behavior, and nothing the rest of us have any basis to question. 

I present my submission to you in (symbolic) kind:

my financial enjoyment comes in the freedom of driving a paid-off 1997 Corolla with 218k miles, living under the warm roof of a modest house, brown bagging my lunch, and making sure I don't become a burden to others so that I'm in a position to help others

but I would have preferred this thread remained on topic instead of digressing to respond to extremes of those who either hate credit under any circumstance and/or make sexual slaves out of the poor.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »

jmfcst, if you're living so frugally, how could you possibly be racking up 7 to 10K in ordinary monthly personal expenses unless you have at least a half-dozen kids?  (Kids can get expensive quickly, but even with the usual two-kid household, I can't see racking up basic personal expenses that large.)

However, it would seem to me that one potential solution to the 12.5K cap would be to have your wife get a card in her own name.

Another is to get a second card from another issuer that also offers a cash back reward.

Since some places don't take Discover (Discover and AmEx both charge merchants more than VISA/MC) it's a good idea to have an non-Discover card anyway.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »

Get a Visa or Mastercard- They bought have reward programs and will give you bigger limits. 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »

jmfcst, if you're living so frugally, how could you possibly be racking up 7 to 10K in ordinary monthly personal expenses unless you have at least a half-dozen kids? 

when you find the answer to that question, please clue me in….

it’s a family of six, my wife and I have 4 kids: 3 girls (14,9,5) and 1 boy (12), 2 male mini-weiner dogs, 1 female hairless cat, 1 female corn snake, and 1 male(?) beta fish.  our food bill alone is around 2-2.5k per month, even before we eat out…our gas and toll expenses are >$500 month, and that’s not including maintenance…and I don’t even want to mention our clothing bill…

here’s our 2009 Discover Card breakdown…. I can’t remember making a single large purchase in 2009, in fact, I’m sure we didn’t make one…though I did buy a couple of pistols and a TV, but all that together could not have totaled more than $2k because that’s the only new durable items in my house…I have nothing new to show for the rest of the spending:

...and this doesn’t include stuff like mortgage,  insurance,  misc checks written for stuff like school lunches and mother’s day out that just nickel and dime me to death, petty cash, taxes, tithes, gifts to charity, and savings.

…and now you know why I don't have a car payment, why I drive a 1997 Corolla and have a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter stuck in my desk…

...ok, this is starting to depress me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies