WOW! Fed raises discount rate!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:22:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  WOW! Fed raises discount rate!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WOW! Fed raises discount rate!  (Read 917 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »

don't have a link, breaking now.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »

here's the story from cnbc"

The Federal Reserve said on Thursday it was raising the interest rate it charges banks for emergency loans, citing improvement in financial market conditions.

The Fed said the discount rate would be increased to 0.75 percent from 0.50 percent, effective Friday.

"Like the closure of a number of extraordinary credit programs earlier this month, these changes are intended as a further normalization of the Federal Reserve's lending facilities," the Fed said in a statement.

"The modifications are not expected to lead to tighter financial conditions for households and businesses and do not signal any change in the outlook for the economy or for monetary policy," it said.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

I am assuming that this is happening because the Fed feels enough banks have become safe from the threat of insolvency, or because the Fed feels that their policy has already had its maximum impact?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Hilarious. A year too early.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »

I guess Ben must have decided that 10% unemployment was "good enough."
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »

This is not a material move, few banks are still using this emergency vehicle.  The move, which was telegraphed in advance, shows the Fed believes liquidity in the private equity market is starting to return.  It’s probably a trial balloon to the market that high interest rates are on the way and though stocks had a good day today, they sold of in afterhour trading the instant the news hit the wires (banks are down about 1.5%).

Personally, I would have waited until a couple of consecutive months of job growth.  But this move is simply symbolic.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »

ur surprised, srsly?  I aint.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:02:26 PM »

This is not a material move, few banks are still using this emergency vehicle.  The move, which was telegraphed in advance, shows the Fed believes liquidity in the private equity market is starting to return.  It’s probably a trial balloon to the market that higher interest rates are on the way and though stocks had a good day today, they sold of in afterhour trading the instant the news hit the wires (banks are down about 1.5%).

Personally, I would have waited until a couple of consecutive months of job growth.  But this move is simply symbolic.

fixed
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »

This will look really stupid if we continue to lose jobs.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »

At least Bernanke is trying to show that he does not want to repeat Greenspan's mistake of creating another economic bubble. Or is it just a show?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 01:46:12 PM by phknrocket1k »

Look at 2001-2005. Greenspan held the Fed Funds Rate at 1% for a whole damn year and jobs creation only resumed in Dec 2003/Jan 2004.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »

At least Bernanke is trying to show that he does not want to repeat Greenspan's mistake of creating another economic bubble. Or is it just a show?

In fact it is a misapprehension to blame any recent 'bubble' on low interest rates.. or rather it misses the big picture.   Interest rates have been an overused policy tool only because fiscal policy has been abandoned.  It is rather like blaming a Tylenol for a heart attack.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »

Before the mortgage meltdown, the discount rate had been fixed to 100 basis points above the Federal funds rate, so bumping the discount rate up to 0.75% is not a statement of normalcy.  All this did is indicate that the Fed thinks the banking system is less shaky than it was, but not yet out of the woods.  I expect that barring any new shocks to the system, we'll see the Federal funds rate at 0.25% (as opposed to the current 0 to 0.25% range) by mid-year with the discount rate restored to its usual spread (and thus at 1.25%).  I would be shocked to see the Federal funds rate return to rise above 1% by the end of the year, but getting it away from 0% is a good thing.  There's only so much that monetary policy can hope to accomplish, unless we start opening up the printing presses and start issuing some new United States Notes, and right now I think that medicine would be worse that the disease.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »

Subset of Federal Reserve assets, in billions of dollars, seasonally unadjusted, from Jan 1, 2007 to February 10, 2010. Wednesday values, from Federal Reserve H41 release. swaps: central bank liquidity swaps; MMIFL: net portfolio holdings of LLCs funded through the Money Market Investor Funding Facility; CPLF: net portfolio holdings of LLCs funded through the Commercial Paper Funding Facility; TALF: loans extended through Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility plus net portfolio holdings of TALF LLC; ABCP: loans extended to Asset-Backed Commercial Paper Money Market Mutual Fund Liquidity Facility; PDCF: loans extended to primary dealer and other broker-dealer credit; discount: sum of primary credit, secondary credit, and seasonal credit; TAC: term auction credit; RP: repurchase agreements;

Discount window lending by the Federal Reserve (sum of primary credit, secondary credit, and seasonal credit), in billions of dollars, seasonally unadjusted, from Jan 1, 2007 to February 10, 2010. Wednesday values, from Federal Reserve H41 release.

Mortgage-backed securities held outright by the Federal Reserve, seasonally unadjusted, from Jan 1, 2007 to February 10, 2010. Wednesday values, from Federal Reserve H41 release.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies