Some senator please help the DoFA by suggesting appropriate legislation!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:56:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Some senator please help the DoFA by suggesting appropriate legislation!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some senator please help the DoFA by suggesting appropriate legislation!  (Read 1202 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »

We have some problems with our electoral system that I've only just discovered.

1. The Senate recently passed legislation (in December) requiring candidates to only declare their candidacies 24 hours in advance, as opposed to 7 days before then.

The problem, however, is that one must be a registered voter 7 days in advance in order to be a candidate in an election, according to the Constitution.

Therefore:

A: Go back to 7 days as a deadline for declaration of candidacy.

B: Move up the deadline for voter registration to 24 hours to match the other requirement.

Personally, I would prefer A, but I tend to be conservative in that regard.

Next issue, absentee voting must begin when the candidacy declaration period is over. Unfortunately, as indicated in the other thread, I opened absentee voting under the assumption that 7 days was the deadline. It appears, however, under current law, that I am only able to open absentee voting 24 hours in advance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Considering the very clear legislation here....I am forced to declare the absentee voting that has already occured invalid.

But we have a very big problem here....because one day is clearly insufficient for absentee voting.

So, next suggestion:

Abolish absentee voting! Extend the regular election to 5 or 7 days...but the absentee voting is stupid.

I may have more things to say....but this is all for now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »

Anybody want to talk about the problem?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »

Oh no! I hope someone acts on this quickly, because my absentee vote has been invalidated. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:09 PM »

Oh no! I hope someone acts on this quickly, because my absentee vote has been invalidated. 

There is no way to correct that.....and I'm not sure it'd be legal to change anything for this election.

This is more for the future.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »

... and then Barnes loses by one vote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »

... and then Barnes loses by one vote.

Shhhhh! Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »

lol

Seriously, do you think the folks around here who write legislation have any brains?  They'd probably create another 100 different mistakes if you asked them to clear up this one.

Anyways, if there are any real problems, the Court will be happy to clean up your mess by diktat... Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »

Anyways, if there are any real problems, the Court will be happy to clean up your mess by diktat... Tongue

I'm hoping it won't come to that.....seeing as only two voters until now have voted absentee Smiley Hopefully they will be able to either vote in the one day before the election or during the general election.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

Why does candidate declaration and vote registration have to occur at the same time?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »

Why does candidate declaration and vote registration have to occur at the same time?

It doesn't necessarily have to, but it would make things simpler, and it would prevent cases like John Engle (note: he's ineligible anyway because his account is so new....but it shows what can happen in theory.)

The absentee voting is the main problem, considering that current law mandates that it only be opened after the declaration deadline.....24 hours before the regular election.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »

It doesn't necessarily have to, but it would make things simpler, and it would prevent cases like John Engle (note: he's ineligible anyway because his account is so new....but it shows what can happen in theory.)

The absentee voting is the main problem, considering that current law mandates that it only be opened after the declaration deadline.....24 hours before the regular election.

I still don't see it. In the case of Engle he is inegligble for being to new and the fact that he isn't a properly registered voter prior to seven days before the eleciton so he is not eligible to run in the election no matter when the declaration deadline is.

The absentee vote problem is still boggling my currently absentee mind(writing essays that are four pages long will do that, Tongue)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »

lol

Seriously, do you think the folks around here who write legislation have any brains?  They'd probably create another 100 different mistakes if you asked them to clear up this one.

Good to hear.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:09 PM »

lol

Good to hear.

We aim to please.

Or maybe that just means that we aim to tell you how to do your job.

Whatever, it's good to be the king (of elections).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:03 AM »

I still don't see it. In the case of Engle he is inegligble for being to new and the fact that he isn't a properly registered voter prior to seven days before the eleciton so he is not eligible to run in the election no matter when the declaration deadline is.

The absentee vote problem is still boggling my currently absentee mind(writing essays that are four pages long will do that, Tongue)

Absentee voting can only be opened after the candidacy declaration deadline. That is 24 hours under current law.

I don't think absentee voting 24 hours before the election serves a very good purpose...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »

How about we just change the law on absentee voting so that it's your bad if you do it before all possible candidates have declared? I mean, the way it is now (with the request'n'all) it's supposed to be basically abolished except for people who actually *need* it because they won't be online that weekend.

I don't really see a problem with the declaration / voter registration thing. Although we did align the two on purpose once when I was "powerful" around here, previously one was seven days and the other ten.
I certainly don't want people to be able to register their socks, or move on account of electoral math, until 24 hours before polls open.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:42 AM »

How about we just abolish absentee voting and extend the general election to say....5 days?

And then you can keep candidacy declaration at 24 hours before that....and I suppose leave voter registration at whatever you want.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »

How about we just (...) extend the general election to say....5 days?
Before we changed the law on absentee voting, they basically ran for ten days with a random switch to another thread three days before the end. Most people voted in the last three days, but quite a few did before that.
It was stupid. Keep the election at three days.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:59:29 AM »

How about we just (...) extend the general election to say....5 days?
Before we changed the law on absentee voting, they basically ran for ten days with a random switch to another thread three days before the end. Most people voted in the last three days, but quite a few did before that.
It was stupid. Keep the election at three days.

Well alright...but if we're going to keep absentee voting, then we need to change the start to the voter registration deadline instead of the candidacy declaration deadline.

It doesn't make any sense to have absentee voting for 24 hours before the election, as we're going to have this time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »

It doesn't make any sense to have absentee voting for 24 hours before the election, as we're going to have this time.
Too true.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »

It's not so complicated : Someone may declare candidacy until 24h before the election, but only if he has registered 7 days before. Where is the problem ?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:11 AM »

It's not so complicated : Someone may declare candidacy until 24h before the election, but only if he has registered 7 days before. Where is the problem ?
No problem with that part, really.

The second part is the important part. Pretty classic drafting oversight.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies