Lent 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:35:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Lent 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lent 2010  (Read 1289 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »

The preparation season for Easter 2010 begins this Wednesday, February 17.

What are your plans?  Are you going to give up anything? Or, do you have other plans? or no plans?

I'm not going to give up anything, but I'm going to try to make even more time with my Lord.

Easter is Sunday, April 4, 2010, FTR.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »

I thought that "giving up" something was only for those of us who worship the Pope.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:50:41 AM »

Lent is a dumb idea.  It is not in the Bible any where.  I have alot of respect for Catholics because of thier strong morals  but this business of going away from the authority of the bible can lead down a dangerous pathway.

Still we must respect Catholics because they stand up for the sanctiy of life and for the institution of marriage.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »

Lent is a dumb idea.  It is not in the Bible any where.  I have alot of respect for Catholics because of thier strong morals  but this business of going away from the authority of the bible can lead down a dangerous pathway.

Still we must respect Catholics because they stand up for the sanctiy of life and for the institution of marriage.

FTR, I am not a Catholic, and I do agree that Lent is not biblical in and of it's own, but it is a great time for Christians to prepare our hearts for the celebration of the death and resurrection of the King of Kings.  It's true that we should do that all year long, but this is a good time.  We don't necessarily have to "give up" anything, but it's a good time to commit to spending more time with our Abba Father.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »

I like the idea of giving something up.  Not as a means of currying favor with a capricious, bean-counter of a god.  But as a means of reminding yourself that something is missing.  When you want that something, it's an opportunity to remember the words of Jesus who said His food and drink were to do the will of His Father.

Others I know have tried adding something to their daily routine, rather than giving something up.  That's fine, too.  And some folks do both.

I have a Lenten plan, but I'm not particularly keen to share it at present.  I am not content with my Christian commitment, however.  I know I need to be better than I am.  Hopefully, this Lent will be a nudge in that direction.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:35:14 AM »

I'm not going to give up anything, but I'm going to try to make even more time with my Lord.

Doesn't your Lord deserve even better? You aren't willing to give something up for your King of Kings?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »

I'm not a Catholic... but I think I will give up something for Lent. Hospital food.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »

I'm not a Catholic... but I think I will give up something for Lent. Hospital food.

That's some sacrifice you're making....I'm sure God appreciates it a lot Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2010, 11:42:23 AM by JSojourner »

Doesn't your Lord deserve even better? You aren't willing to give something up for your King of Kings?

A priest friend of mine was asked to preach in our parish about giving.  No sane clergyperson likes having to preach about giving...especially on the brink of pledge seasoon.  But he gave one of the best sermons I have ever heard on the subject.  He said...

"The church has taught for two thousand years that God's standard for giving is 10%.  I can tell you with certainty that the tithe...giving 10%...is NOT God's standard for giving. "  Father John then walked over to the altar table and picked up a crucifix.  He showed it to the congregation and said, "10% is NOT God's standard for giving.  THIS is God's standard for giving."  He paused, held the cross with the bleeding, suffering Christ for a fairly uncomfortable period of time.  And he said, "You make of this what you will".

Not sure there was a dry eye in the house.  Since then, giving has been way up...not simply to the church, but to the rescue mission, the food bank, the crisis pregnancy center and other agencies in the area.  None of us are even close to approaching that standard of giving, but with a medical team in Haiti and another team working with the Interfaith Hospitality Network for the homeless, I am seeing the results of that three or four year old sermon still today.

Yes.  My Lord deserves sooooooooo much better than I give.  My biggest frustration is that I don't improve rapidly enough in this area.  But I am comforted in the knowledge that, as the priest will say today at Ash Wednesday services, "The Lord remembers your frame and He knows that you are but dust."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »

Bushie......only cause we're worried about your health......give up FAST FOOD....all fast food
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »

Bushie......only cause we're worried about your health......give up FAST FOOD....all fast food

That's a good idea, even if you are a thin.  It's just poison.

Wait.  Gramps.  This doesn't include Primanti's, does it?  Please say no...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »

Could be the perfect time to give up smoking, a new year resolution that failed miserably. For Lent I've usually liked to add something to my routine, rather than take something away. I've come to the conclusion that when you give up something negative for an set period of time, you're far more likely to start doing it again once that time is up. If you start doing some positive for a set period of time, it's more likely to become a good habit that you continue afterwards.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »

Could be the perfect time to give up smoking, a new year resolution that failed miserably. For Lent I've usually liked to add something to my routine, rather than take something away. I've come to the conclusion that when you give up something negative for an set period of time, you're far more likely to start doing it again once that time is up. If you start doing some positive for a set period of time, it's more likely to become a good habit that you continue afterwards.

That's very good. I wish you good luck.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »

Ha ha, Jim, Primanti's is not fast food in my book Wink  Next time in  your in town I'll buy you one.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »

Ha ha, Jim, Primanti's is not fast food in my book Wink  Next time in  your in town I'll buy you one.

Deal.  It is a great sandwich...even, and I know this is heresy, without the coleslaw and fries.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies