Which US President since World War 2 was the most libertarian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:41:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which US President since World War 2 was the most libertarian?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ....
Harry S. Truman

Dwight D. Eisenhower

John F. Kennedy

Lyndon B. Johnson

Richard M. Nixon

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy E. Carter

Ronald W. Reagan

George H.W. Bush

Bill J. Clinton

George W. Bush

Barack H. Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Which US President since World War 2 was the most libertarian?  (Read 3661 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »

Discuss.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »

Jimmy E. Carter
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »

Carter easily.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »

Ford. He ended Vietnam, did what was best for the country despite what the polls said. Of course, I'd call him a libertarian-leaning moderate.

Probably Clinton post-94 would be the second most.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »

I'd say Carter. He wanted to lower taxes and cut pork, scale back the highway system, decriminalize certain drugs, cut the military, etc. Still sort of a laughable question though.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »

What?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 04:44:25 PM »

I've never thought of bombing Iraqi and Kosovan children as very libertarian.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »

I was thinking more his domestic policy. A lot of the Patriot Act owes its beginnings to the Clinton administration's proposals, and certainly his stance on drugs, guns, etc. was anything but 'Libertarian.' I could see people making an argument for his administration ultimately governing in a way that was more 'free market' than the Reagan administration or either Bush though.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »

I was thinking more his domestic policy. A lot of the Patriot Act owes its beginnings to the Clinton administration's proposals, and certainly his stance on drugs, guns, etc. was anything but 'Libertarian.' I could see people making an argument for his administration ultimately governing in a way that was more 'free market' than the Reagan administration or either Bush though.

+DADT.
James L. Buckley
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »

Ford. He ended Vietnam, did what was best for the country despite what the polls said. Of course, I'd call him a libertarian-leaning moderate.

Actually, Ford was about to escalate the conflict in Vietnam. But Congress wouldn't allow him to do so. Ford was anything but a "Libertarian-leaning Moderate."
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »

None of them.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »

Neither of them were anything approaching "libertarian." Huh
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »

Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »

Probably Carter, since the Fed under him was really inactive and he didn't really do much, either domestically or in foreign policy (other than cutting off aid to regimes with poor human rights records). Runner-up is Ford.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »

Reagan.  (I don't consider being weak on foreign policy or the Einzige definition of libertarian, which is "liberal Democrat" to be libertarian)

He wanted to butt into the private lives of most Americans with his opposition to abortion and gay marriage.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »

Probably Carter, since the Fed under him was really inactive and he didn't really do much, either domestically or in foreign policy (other than cutting off aid to regimes with poor human rights records). Runner-up is Ford.

Actually that's another point, people tend to forget that Carter appointed Volcker.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »

Reagan.  (I don't consider being weak on foreign policy or the Einzige definition of libertarian, which is "liberal Democrat" to be libertarian)

He wanted to butt into the private lives of most Americans with his opposition to abortion and gay marriage.

For one thing, having an abortion is not a "private matter" ... not when the unborn child doesn't get its say.  Gay marriage wasn't even an issue then.

Well, Reagan was against gay rights. As for abortion, even though I agree with you that murdering innocent babies is NOT a private matter, libertarians think that it is, and thus I proved my point that Reagan was not a libertarian (or even came close to one). Also, the Fed was very active under Reagan's watch, and libertarians oppose the Fed.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »

Actually that's another point, people tend to forget that Carter appointed Volcker.

Yes, but Volcker was not that active in fighting inflation until 1981. It was only in 1981 that the inflation rate began to significantly decrease.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 01:49:10 AM »

For one thing, having an abortion is not a "private matter" ... not when the unborn child doesn't get its say.  Gay marriage wasn't even an issue then.

Well, Reagan was against gay rights. As for abortion, even though I agree with you that murdering innocent babies is NOT a private matter, libertarians think that it is, and thus I proved my point that Reagan was not a libertarian (or even came close to one). Also, the Fed was very active under Reagan's watch, and libertarians oppose the Fed.

Libertarians don't consider murder a "private matter". Abortion is a violation of individual rights and very anti-libertarian.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:11 AM »

Libertarians don't consider murder a "private matter". Abortion is a violation of individual rights and very anti-libertarian.

Not all libertarians are against abortion, though. Many of them support abortions.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »

Not all libertarians are against abortion, though. Many of them support abortions.

No.

People who support abortion are not libertarians.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 02:05:45 AM »

No.

A lot of them say they are, though. BTW, are Ron Paul and Rand Paul pro-abortion?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 02:25:31 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2010, 02:27:28 AM by Kucinichisdabest »

Reagan.  (I don't consider being weak on foreign policy or the Einzige definition of libertarian, which is "liberal Democrat" to be libertarian)

For one thing, having an abortion is not a "private matter" ... not when the unborn child doesn't get its say.  Gay marriage wasn't even an issue then.

A fetus is not an individual. And if you don't agree then you are a hypocrite because you agreed in a previous thread about school uniforms that most kids aren't individuals.

Let's get real here. Most kids aren't individuals. Most kids are enormous conformists, look at all the cliques with their own unofficial dress codes there are (or gangs..). In any case if your ability to be an individual is seriously effected by not being able to wear certain clothes you're pretty boring anyway.

Agreed.  This was one of my arguments when we discussed this about 4 years ago.

Most jobs require a "uniform" of some sort-  so you'll better get used to sublimating that individuality.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »

No.

A lot of them say they are, though. BTW, are Ron Paul and Rand Paul pro-abortion?

They aren't, and no.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies