A question about the Republicans' Ohio plan.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:51:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  A question about the Republicans' Ohio plan.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question about the Republicans' Ohio plan.  (Read 704 times)
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »

Does anyone know in what order the three pods are supposed to vote in 2012, and what the rules for the rotation are after that?

Here's a link to the map from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Ohio_Plan.svg

So, green, gold, orange. Who votes when?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »

it's random. Which is why I think this plan is bs. The random factor WILL decide who wins the nomination a consevative, moderate, liberal etc
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:52:18 AM »

It is random like A-Bob said, each primary season it order changes. I like the Ohio plan better then what we currently have, but I think the best way to do it would be hold all on the same day.
Katherine Harris is legit
D Parker
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:57:46 AM »

It is random like A-Bob said, each primary season it order changes. I like the Ohio plan better then what we currently have, but I think the best way to do it would be hold all on the same day.

No, you dumb? Imagine if we had a candidate with John Edwards style problems who was popular? The primaries are set up to weed those guys out. That;'s why they cant be all at aocne. Get a clue Josh 22
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »

I agree that holding all the primaries on the same day is a bad idea. Think Democrat primaries 2004. Imagine how soundly Howard Dean would have been hammered in the General election? I'm all for weeding out wackos during the process.

Right now, I think the Ohio Plan is an okay idea. We do need something to avoid a repeat of the 2008 cycle where the States were all shuffling their primaries trying to one-up each other.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »

There only plan thats really going to work well, is a plan that the Democrats and Republicans both agree on.

We need regional voting so candidates aren't flying across the nation from day to day. Whats also expensive is well, primaries in general, but having two separate primaries on separate days for Republicans and Democrats.

The first two or three states should be random and not included in the regional voting "in bloc". From there the order of which region votes should be randomized.

Theres an argument to be made if less primaries is better, only having 16-20 primaries (The Miller Center Plan mentions all of these points) --the rest of the states having free voting party delegates which would strengthen parties.

Also, a reapportionment has to be made of delegates since small states are overly represented in both Republican and Democratic primaries.

Right now the primary season is too long and starts too early. Pushing it up to March, while making the season run into June at the latest, might increase voter turnout due to the warmer weather and a shorter primary season will keep peripheral voters interested longer.

The Ohio Plan has California and Mass in the same color, so I'm guessing they're on the same day. Thats a pain in the ass for candidates if either state is competitive.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »

I'm all for weeding out wackos during the process.

And yet Sarah Palin may well win the nomination Wink
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »

No, you dumb? Imagine if we had a candidate with John Edwards style problems who was popular? The primaries are set up to weed those guys out. That;'s why they cant be all at aocne. Get a clue Josh 22

First of all, no I'm not dumb, you stupid sock. Having all the primaries on the same day isn't a bad idea. First off, it wouldn't happen until Mid-Summer or later. The weeding out would still happen. The current way helps out the people that have more money to spend and are more known, and most of the times they candidate has already won the Nom by Super Tuesday and many of the other states don't get a voice in it at all. That sounds dumb to me buddy. So why don't you go talk to your master and leave the real things to the big boys.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »

I agree, I hate how undue influence gets put on certain states for no real reason other than tradition.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »

There only plan thats really going to work well, is a plan that the Democrats and Republicans both agree on.

Even if the national parties agree, you aren't going to get 50 state legislatures to all go along with shuffling around their primary dates just because the national parties tell them to.  Something like the Ohio Plan would never work unless you actually had federal legislation mandating the changes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies