Who do you WANT to win the GOP nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:08:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who do you WANT to win the GOP nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Who do you WANT to win the GOP nomination?  (Read 13006 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »

Very weak field so far. Also, Johnson has all the charisma of white paint TBH.

White paint in a pleasing manner, or are referring you something else? I've always found Johnson quite charismatic, in his own sort of way.

As in drying.

Ah, ok. Just curious.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »

Giuliani's not a candidate, but if he were then of course I'd say "Anyone but Romney or Giuliani".
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »

I'm still deciding. But, from the candidates I expect to run, I'm looking at Huckabee, Barbour, Palin, and Thune.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »

Palin, she's the easiest to beat. If I would like a half-decent alternative if Obama was to lose, then Romney.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »

I think she'd be a great president.  Her goals line up with what I would like to see in this country in terms of the spending I'd like to see cut and the military action that needs to be taken overseas.

Her social views line up with mine for the most part.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »

Gingrich
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »

You must not be following the news lately -- or you must have just become an Obama supporter.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »

What news?  You mean polls?

Polls are snapshots.  Just as the polls changed on her when she was at 60% nationally, they can change again.

Obama was at 60/9 in the NY Times just over a year ago.  Today, the NY Times shows him at 39% favorables.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »

Poundingtherock lives in a dream world or something. He needs brought to reality.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »

Johnson. If Johnson doesn't win, then...

useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »

Of candidates that I could see running I'd vote for Santorum, Ron Paul, or Jeb Bush. Only Jeb has a reasonable shot at the nom, and none have a shot at the actual job.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »

Corker
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Of candidates that I could see running I'd vote for Santorum, Ron Paul, or Jeb Bush. Only Jeb has a reasonable shot at the nom, and none have a shot at the actual job.

Why are you a Democrat?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »

Smiley Just checking. What are your feelings on Thune?
Katherine Harris is legit
D Parker
United States
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 12:22:45 AM »

Thune is awesome!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 12:35:31 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2010, 12:46:32 AM by pbrower2a »

What news?  You mean polls?

Polls are snapshots.  Just as the polls changed on her when she was at 60% nationally, they can change again.

Obama was at 60/9 in the NY Times just over a year ago.  Today, the NY Times shows him at 39% favorables.

News? The news reflects itself in polls. She went below 50% among Republicans. Considering that neither Democrats nor independents will give her any break, that suggestst that she would lose catastrophically to Barack Obama.

She has shown that a politician can appeal so far below the morals and intellect of the American people and not get away with it. I don't know whether to call her the basest demagogue to get so far in American politics since George Wallace in 1968 or Joseph R. McCarthy in the 1950s. She never lets the truth get in the way of her spiel.

She has shown utmost contempt for the Constitution and by extension the Rule of Law by condemning the President for acting like "a professor of Constitutional law" in insisting that the most infamous defendants in American history get honest trials instead of show trials.  

She let her husband sit in on meeting in which his employer, an oil company, was discussing business of the State of Alaska. She apparently doesn't recognize a conflict of interest when it bites her. She would use the powers of the Presidency at the least to settle personal scores, if not enrich herself and hangers-on.  

She is vain, venal, vicious, and vindictive. She reminds me more of Imelda Marcos than of Maggie Thatcher... and, yes, I recognize the Iron Lady as an effective leader. If you think that America needs a conservative, pro-corporate leader as President, then America can find someone other than Sarah Palin.

When it comes to approval ratings for active politicians, those will have their vicissitudes depending upon events from good and bad events such as military triumphs and reversals and of course economic news. President Obama has seen his approval ratings slip because of such events -- and those approval ratings can improve or slide further. Those events shape people's lives, and that's what we elect a President to deal with.

With Sarah Palin it is the perception of her as a person that has taken a fall. She can now do nothing to establish a legislative agenda, promote prosperity, modify foreign policy, set priorities of public administration, convince people to do things that they might not find so obvious, or decide when and where troops move and when they engage in war with real enemies. All that she can do as a politician is to create an image -- and that is far easier than the more difficult tasks that fall upon a President.

She may be no more extreme than any other Republican, but she has shown herself unfit to lead America, just as did former Governor Rod Blagojevich -- who is a liberal Democrat.  She has shown that she lacks the character, wisdom, and judgment to be President.  Vile as they may be, James DeMint, James Inhofe, and Saxby Chambliss are more qualified to be President than she is.    

Here's what I find in the New York Times today in its poll:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/02/12/us/politics/12poll_graphic.html

Get your facts straight before someone embarrasses you with them.

useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 12:36:44 AM »

Why are you a Democrat?

Me voting for those candidates doesn't really have to do with me being a Democrat because I don't particularly agree with most of what Santorum or Jeb have to say; it would be a vote because I like them personally and dislike Obama both personally and politically. I'd vote for Ron Paul because I actually agree with a lot of what he has to say.

I'm not even technically a Democrat, as you don't register by party in Virginia, I've just always described myself as such. I've voted for mostly Democrats(the exception being voting for the GOP candidate for AG last year, and Nader for president).

Honestly, who do I WANT to be the ticket overall for president in 2012?

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 12:41:18 AM »

Why are you a Democrat?

Me voting for those candidates doesn't really have to do with me being a Democrat because I don't particularly agree with most of what Santorum or Jeb have to say; it would be a vote because I like them personally and dislike Obama both personally and politically. I'd vote for Ron Paul because I actually agree with a lot of what he has to say.

I'm not even technically a Democrat, as you don't register by party in Virginia, I've just always described myself as such. I've voted for mostly Democrats(the exception being voting for the GOP candidate for AG last year, and Nader for president).

Honestly, who do I WANT to be the ticket overall for president in 2012?

Haha, I would love a Paul-Nader ticket.

You seem too smart to be sporting red avatar at this point. Why not break free and change to a green independent avatar? Wink
Poundingtherock
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2010, 01:02:44 AM »

Why don't get your facts right Pbrower before I embarrass you.

Obama's "favorable" rating is 39% in that same NY Times poll.  See question #14.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/poll_Obama_Congress_021110.pdf
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 01:04:44 AM »

Useful Idiot, great name btw.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »

Actually, Pbrower, Palin's favorable rating in the Washington Post poll among Republicans is 70%.

Obama's favorable rating in the NY Times poll among Democrats is 71%.

Now, the NY Times poll and Washington Post poll use different methodologies but if you compare her numbers in the NY Times poll with Obama's numbers, he's not that much more popular than her among independents.  He's at 36% favorables in this poll, she was at 30% if I recall in the last NY Times poll.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2010, 01:08:04 AM »

Why don't get your facts right Pbrower before I embarrass you.

Obama's "favorable" rating is 39% in that same NY Times poll.  See question #14.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/poll_Obama_Congress_021110.pdf

So Pbrower, Obama's favorable rating in the NY Times poll has slipped 21 points in a year.  It just so happens when you are a highly public figure like Palin and Obama, your numbers are going to take a hit because you get attacked more often than other politicians not in the spotlight.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 01:27:42 AM »

Rick Santorum
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 01:29:30 AM »

You DumbocRAT! Rick Santorum will easily overcome the primaries and sail to victory! Keystone Phil told me!
ARescan
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »

Tim Pawlenty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies