What are we wrong about?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:17:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What are we wrong about?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are we wrong about?  (Read 2645 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:08:56 AM »

What common assumptions held by most observers today will be laughable by the Iowa Caucus?

Go.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:14:22 AM »

That Gary Johnson is a non-factor.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »

Romney will easily win the early contests.
perdedor

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »

Corrected.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »

Romney will easily win the early contests.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »

That Sarah Palin had a serious shot at the nomination.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »

Along with Sweet Sarah being a serious contender
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »

I hope you are right.
perdedor

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »

As I've been saying, never overestimate the intelligence of an electorate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »

That Gary Johnson or Sarah Palin will be remotely able to win the General Election.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »

That Gary Johnson or Sarah Palin will be remotely able to win the General Election.

But -- I think that Sarah Palin will have influence on GOP rhetoric.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »

That god wants people to be rich or president (or indeed that God cares).

I mean that is still funny now so imagine how funny it will be then. Like Haha funny, unless Palin gets magically elected president at which point it will turn into Michael Jackson funny until effortlessly moving on into Greek tragedy (but that's after 2012).
xavier110
United States
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »

Everybody here is underestimating Sarah Palin's chances in the GOP primaries.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »

How strong a candidate Sarah Palin will be a general election under the right circumstances.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »

I strongly agree. Poll after poll shows that she has significant support in a variety of states, and she has raised the funds to prove it. (Much to my dislike) Sarah Palin has a serious shot at the GOP nomination.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »

I strongly agree. Poll after poll shows that she has significant support in a variety of states, and she has raised the funds to prove it. (Much to my dislike) Sarah Palin has a serious shot at the GOP nomination.

Wishful thinking red avatars?
I know what the polls said, but once primary season starts her opponents will tear her apart on her record. Nobody is easier to demonize than a quitter, nobody (okay, maybe an adulterer, but I digress).
xavier110
United States
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2010, 03:29:06 PM by xavier110 »

I know what the polls said, but once primary season starts her opponents will tear her apart on her record. Nobody is easier to demonize than a quitter, nobody (okay, maybe an adulterer, but I digress).

Her opponents would be really stupid to try to tear her apart. She'd rally up even more support, and the segment of the Republican party that loves her (which is pretty big, I'd say she's guaranteed at least 15%-levels of support in most states, ignoring New England) would be up in arms.

She knows how to draw a crowd. She knows how to spin things. And if anybody dares to attack Sarah, sh*t will go down. She won't let anybody attack her.  She's the attack dog. Any serious blunders she makes won't hurt her too much in the primaries and will probably end up long forgotten by the general election. She could even end up to be a solid general election candidate if she proves "the liberal media" and all the doubters wrong.

The establishment will be hoping for her to fail miserably, though.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »

The truth is that the GOP candidates run too big a risk to "tear" her apart. They risk losing her former supporters in the G.E. AND Palin is good at using scare-tactics to destroy an individual's image. Palin is a bigger power broker than a lot of Republicans refuse to believe. A very heated and zealous faction of the GOP supports her, they raise lots of money, and are very outspoken.
Max Electric
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »

Her opponents would be really stupid to try to tear her apart. She'd rally up even more support, and the segment of the Republican party that loves her (which is pretty big, I'd say she's guaranteed at least 15%-levels of support in most states, ignoring New England) would be up in arms.

She knows how to draw a crowd. She knows how to spin things. And if anybody dares to attack Sarah, sh*t will go down. She won't let anybody attack her.  She's the attack dog. Any serious blunders she makes won't hurt her too much in the primaries and will probably end up long forgotten by the general election. She could even end up to be a solid general election candidate if she proves "the liberal media" and all the doubters wrong.

The establishment will be hoping for her to fail miserably, though.

Swap some pronouns and terms (and party affiliations), and you're talking about Howard Dean.

Obama's got renomination locked up, so the open GOP primaries will be filled with Independents, and when push comes to shove, the GOP electorate always goes with the safe choice...

Palin will do well enough in the primaries to grab the bronze or silver, but she's got no shot at the nomination.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »

That Sarah Palin will win the nomination.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »

If Palin doesn't run or win the nomination, she will end up being kingmaker to whomever the republican nominee is.  She's also guaranteed at least one night as keynote at the convention should she not be the nominee.

FYI, I think everyone is underestimating her potential strength in New Hampshire and Maine (particularly Maine).

My choice of what are we wrong about: Romney being the nominee.
hfred
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -5.39

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:56 PM »

If she runs she certainly has a serious shot at the nomination. Her followers are fanatical enough to clean up in caucus states, remember Pat Robertson won several caucus states. However there is a very good chance she doesn't run.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 10:57:17 PM »

If she runs she certainly has a serious shot at the nomination. Her followers are fanatical enough to clean up in caucus states, remember Pat Robertson won several caucus states. However there is a very good chance she doesn't run.
I recall a certain man in 2008 who had fanatical followers that helped him clean up in caucus states.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »

I recall a certain man in 2008 who had fanatical followers that helped him clean up in caucus states.
Yes, but Huckabee won't be running this time around.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 12:55:16 AM »

If Palin doesn't run or win the nomination, she will end up being kingmaker to whomever the republican nominee is.  She's also guaranteed at least one night as keynote at the convention should she not be the nominee.

FYI, I think everyone is underestimating her potential strength in New Hampshire and Maine (particularly Maine).

My choice of what are we wrong about: Romney being the nominee.

Lol, she doesn't have a shot  at winning N.H or Maine in the Primary, if she does win either of those states she would get DEMOLISHED in the General in both and well nationwide as well.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies