Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:20:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should we be executing more people?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?  (Read 9094 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »

U.S., please adopt Iran-style number of executions and enjoy yourself pretending you're shining example for everyone Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »

We just need to carry out the death sentences already imposed after the mandatory legal appeals are exhausted.

Leaving a guy on death row for 20 years is stupid and expensive.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »

The process is cumbersome to say the least. That will not change.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »

U.S., please adopt Iran-style number of executions and enjoy yourself pretending you're shining example for everyone Tongue

I'm sure you'd like that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »

The entire country should execute as many people as Minnesota does.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

The entire country should execute as many people as Minnesota does.
CJK
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »

It would be far more of a punishment to give them a life sentence without parole anyway.

^This^

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather prefer a quick death than having to spend 80 emty and meaningless years inprisoned. One of the many reasons I'm against Capital Punishment is that I think it's a too easy way out for some of the more cruel and cold-blooded criminals.   

What crap. If you had a gun to your head and were told that you could either die or go to jail, you would choose jail 100% of the time. Humans are not suicidal.

And what dolt thinks that having free shelter, watching TV, reading books, eating free food, and raping other prisoners would be a fate worse than death?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »

It would be far more of a punishment to give them a life sentence without parole anyway.

^This^

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather prefer a quick death than having to spend 80 emty and meaningless years inprisoned. One of the many reasons I'm against Capital Punishment is that I think it's a too easy way out for some of the more cruel and cold-blooded criminals.   

What crap. If you had a gun to your head and were told that you could either die or go to jail, you would choose jail 100% of the time. Humans are not suicidal.

And what dolt thinks that having free shelter, watching TV, reading books, eating free food, and raping other prisoners would be a fate worse than death?

The mindset of a murderer is quite different from the average member of society.

As for the poll, no. Firstly, I oppose capital punishment. Secondly, even if CP was desirable, every case should be handled on its own merit.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »

Although I'm in favor of allowing the CIA to again assassinate people, since they were stripped of that, their effectiveness has gone down the tubes. Although they must be regulated, they can't just go and assassinate whoever they want like they did before.

wtf
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 09:33:57 AM »

^This^

Amen.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 10:05:56 AM »

I would much rather die than face the prospect of never getting out of prison again.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »

No! The death penalty should be abolished.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »

I would much rather die than face the prospect of never getting out of prison again.

We capital punishment advocates would love to help you get your wish Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »

This. Death is the easy way out for criminals.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »

There should certainly be a way of speeding up the execution of a sentence, like Ernest says. The obvious solution for this is eliminating lateral review, especially federal habeas for state death row inmates. If they don't succeed on direct appeal, there should be no reason the court system should have to review the same case again.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

While I am marginally in favor of capital punishment, for the sake of the friends and families of the victims, having the sentence be final and certain in a reasonable time, whatever it may be, is more important.  Given a choice of having to wait fifteen years to find out if a death sentence is carried our or having a family member's murderer sentenced in a year's time to a life sentence, even with a possibility of parole, I'll take the latter simply to have a resolution to what happened.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »

Arguing for or against the death penalty on whatever merits you think it has is one thing, and in fact, legitimate to me, even if I dislike the death penalty. (No, abhor it.) But to actually favor a blanket increase in executions would make me seriously question your mental well-being.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:13 AM »

Arguing for or against the death penalty on whatever merits you think it has is one thing, and in fact, legitimate to me, even if I dislike the death penalty. (No, abhor it.) But to actually favor a blanket increase in executions would make me seriously question your mental well-being.

Pretty much this. There's no point in executing people as a 'deterrent', because it doesn't work for the reasons I pointed out above.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 04:42:06 AM »

There should be fewer executions. 

While I support the death penalty in theory, I have serious problems with the way that District Attorneys decide when to seek it.  If all prisons were built like ADX Florence, I'd probably support outlawing the death penalty altogether.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »

No! The death penalty should be abolished.
CJK
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »

Do you any of you have a single legitimate reason for wanting it abolished, or do you just want to pretend that you are morally superior to others?
CJK
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »

Please elaborate. If you think it's legitimate debate for 50 people per year to be executed for murder, why not 1,000 for murder?
CJK
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

Pretty much this. There's no point in executing people as a 'deterrent', because it doesn't work for the reasons I pointed out above.

And I addressed why that reason was utter garbage. Nobody would choose death over prison if push came to shove.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 03:26:30 PM »

Do you any of you have a single legitimate reason for wanting it abolished, or do you just want to pretend that you are morally superior to others?

The typical argument du jour is that it's worse to spend life in prison, than be executed.
CJK
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »

The typical argument du jour is that it's worse to spend life in prison, than be executed.

And what evidence is that based on?

Nothing. Just like every other liberal belief.

Seriously, please tell me right now why I should take death over prison.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies